Garou and Vampires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post

I think White Wolf may have started the trend. It's one of the reasons why they sued Underworld.
    They'd honestly have had a better case if they'd tried suing the people who made the first Blade movie, IMO.

As for the vampires vs werewolves trope, it goes back as far as an episode of "The Real Ghostbusters" back in the 1980s, and before that there are odds and ends such as the Spanish horror films Los Monstrous del Terror/Dracula vs Frankenstein (1970) and La Noche de Walpurgis/Werewolf Shadow/Werewolf vs The Vampire Woman (1971). I suspect it's just a natural result of things to want to see two famous monsters fight. The same way Godzilla vs King Kong or Freddy vs Jason came about.

In the World of Darkness, it always struck me as the natural outgrowth of both societies. The Kindred are a perfect storm of arrogance and paranoia that only a bunch of immortals who still run the risk of violent death can be, while the Garou are a dying breed of religious crusaders with the pure zealotry that can only come with having objective proof that your beliefs are true, and both are apex predators who instinctively want to be in charge of whatever territory they're standing on at the moment.
    (This doesn't even get into something like the Silent Striders, who have a historical reason for hating the undead on top of all that.)

Comment

There was also Frankenstein meets the Wolfman, as well as a Laural & Hardy version.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

They'd honestly have had a better case if they'd tried suing the people who made the first Blade movie, IMO.
        Blade predates WW by 18 years.

Did you read the Underworld filing? Underworld had over 100 listed similarities to a novel published by WW. Some of them were preposterous, but some were actually kind of suspicious. The sort of thing where WW sues Sony just in case and Sony gives WW fans a bunch of free passes to the film to mollify them.

Comment

Though, as a WtA fan, I thought that Underworld was just prejudiced against Garou. This is the WtA forum, so 'Lupine' is just a racial slur thrown around by Kindred who lack a proper appreciation of Garou culture, usually right before an irritated Garou rips their heads off and stuffs their heads another Kindred's rear end. I do wonder what a proper treatment of the Garou would look like in the movies (I imagine that the special effects budget would be quite large).

Comment

Originally posted by etherial View Post
            Blade predates WW by 18 years.

Did you read the Underworld filing? Underworld had over 100 listed similarities to a novel published by WW. Some of them were preposterous, but some were actually kind of suspicious. The sort of thing where WW sues Sony just in case and Sony gives WW fans a bunch of free passes to the film to mollify them.
            The character of Blade predates WW, not the film. Blade as introduced in Marvel's Tomb of Dracula (of which I've read the entire run) originated on the idea of "what if Shaft was a vampire hunter" and grew from there. The film on the other hand, borrowed a bit from Vampire, especially in it's inclusion of vampire "houses/tribes", one of which was pretty much the Assamites with an ethnicity swap.

And yes, I read the entirety of the filing back when it was first made. I've also discussed it with several people who made depositions for the case, and have heard accounts of the company's rather weird involvement with Hollywood starting with the Kindred the Embraced show and why this probably doomed the suit from the beginning. While they may have had a better case against the makers of Blade, odds are that any copyright lawsuit against any film maker would've failed.

Comment

Working...
            X