"Problem Players make me never want to run a game again"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Problem Players make me never want to run a game again"

You do all this work as a ST. You provide visuals, minatures, dry erase boards, character folders, maps, background info , lend your own books etc.....and then 1-2 players decide to loot every little thing they can see for no reason , charge into every scenario in Crinos despite overwhelming odds , OOC yell and argue and talk over you , ask you follow up questions before your finished answering their initial question...goddamnit.....

full disclosure, I probably smoked a pack of cigarettes in leui of jumping over the table and taking it to the streets

I will never ask people who play D&D to join a WtA game ever , EVER, EVER again

Comment

Sounds rough. Not sure if there is anything that can be said to help.

Some groups seem to work out better or worse than others for WoD games. A while back my then gaming group (2-3 of the players) didn't really understand what the games were going for so we ended up switching over to D&D for a while. Was a sad day.

Comment

This is exactly why I carefully screen everyone who may join our game. Even with that, I've had shit-shows before. No one wants to exclude people, but not every group and not every game is for everyone.

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
        Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

XD, if a player wants he can derail everything rather fast.

This it's no Werewolf experience, but a ST I had once told me of a player who decided to go in a straight line to the north. Always.

The ST wanted the player to go to some town or do something, but the player each time something presented in his way, any time the ST asked him What do you do?, he would always answer "I advance foward".
          The character entered in a wood, and moved foward. Traveled trough towns and cities, foward. Faced a dragon, moved foward without caring.
          The player managed to get Arcadia that way. Of course, he moved foward.

In a sense RP it's like a social experiment where everyone needs to agree on what they're doing. You need to be in the same page with the other players, or desist to play.

Comment

what sucks is one of the guys is an OLD time friend of mine , but he is constantly trying to "WIN". He is familiar with WtA , but still tries to pull this nonsense:

Just one example for now (I know this type of thread has been done before but I gotta get this frustration out)

Me: ok dude what do you wanna play
            Buddy: A glasswalker with 2 german shepperd attack dogs and a brand new fully loaded suburban
            Me: Cmon dude....really....Your a garou....why would a garou need attack dogs?! furthermore Im ok with the vehicle but where did this characters money come from
            Buddy: What if I just made them labradors
            Me: Your missing the point goddamnit
            Buddy: Can I have resources 4 or 5
            Me: You know how this goes dude this isn't your first go around , justify it and I'll let you know....How does your rank 1 character who is probably between the age of 14 - 19 have so much money
            Buddy: Hes an air force reservist! a computer wiz!
            Me: Dude.......jesus christ
            Buddy: How many sniper rifles can I have
            Me: Fuck you dude

Comment

You just gotta find the right group. Some people are just there to run roughshod over whatever was prepared. Keep looking for fresh meat that is interested in cooperating with you to create the story you want to tell.

I played in a d20 Star Wars game for a few years, which was fun, but pretty much on the level of your average DnD game in terms of commitment and immersion (IE, not a lot). For my current WtA game I recruited the folks who I enjoyed playing with the most from that SW group, the ones who I could trust to maintain a certain level of roleplaying competency. It has worked out quite well... however, most of the people in my initial rpg group I would not have foisted a WoD game onto. Murderhobos and constant slapstick hijinks don't really compliment the flavor of the game, but often that is all people really demand of the rpg experience. You gotta find the folks that want a bit more out of their dice-rolling sessions.

Comment

What sucks is one of the guys is an OLD time friend of mine , but he is constantly trying to "WIN". He is familiar with WtA , but still tries to pull this nonsense
                That's sad.

But what, exactly, does he expect of RPG?. I mean, you say he tries to win, but the things he supposedly asked for weren't terribly munchkin (except, maybe, the Resouces part).
                If he doesn't want to play your way...there's not much it can be done, you can't force people play your way, not even if it's "the correct way". You can only hope :P

Comment

Same player different game:

context: The pack of Get of Fenirs have just defeated a corrupt earth elemental (that manifested as a 4 story tall troll/giant type creature) that erupted form the ground in the middle of an isolated Shadowlord kinfolk village deep in the woods. Heres what followed:

Buddy: I want to keep its bones
                  Me: You want to keep the giants bones.....and your going to keep these "giants bones" where? in your hiking backpack?
                  Buddy: Ill switch to crinos
                  Me: Motherfucker..for real....and whats your intent with these wyrm tainted giants bones
                  Buddy: Im going to make Glaives out of them....its a real thing look it up...not a Klaive , a Glaive!
                  Me: You are a rank one...you don't even have tools to do such a thing...you don't even know rite of the fetish...THIS IS BARELY THE SECOND GAME DUDE!

Comment

Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
                    Same player different game:

context: The pack of Get of Fenirs have just defeated a corrupt earth elemental (that manifested as a 4 story tall troll/giant type creature) that erupted form the ground in the middle of an isolated Shadowlord kinfolk village deep in the woods. Heres what followed:

Buddy: I want to keep its bones
                    Me: You want to keep the giants bones.....and your going to keep these "giants bones" where? in your hiking backpack?
                    Buddy: Ill switch to crinos
                    Me: Motherfucker..for real....and whats your intent with these wyrm tainted giants bones
                    Buddy: Im going to make Glaives out of them....its a real thing look it up...not a Klaive , a Glaive!
                    Me: You are a rank one...you don't even have tools to do such a thing...you don't even know rite of the fetish...THIS IS BARELY THE SECOND GAME DUDE!
                    Did his character even have any kind of Crafts for that to even construct said polearms in the first place? It's a kind of a nitpicky question, I suppose, but I do wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                      XD, if a player wants he can derail everything rather fast.

This it's no Werewolf experience, but a ST I had once told me of a player who decided to go in a straight line to the north. Always.

The ST wanted the player to go to some town or do something, but the player each time something presented in his way, any time the ST asked him What do you do?, he would always answer "I advance foward".
                      The character entered in a wood, and moved foward. Traveled trough towns and cities, foward. Faced a dragon, moved foward without caring.
                      The player managed to get Arcadia that way. Of course, he moved foward.

In a sense RP it's like a social experiment where everyone needs to agree on what they're doing. You need to be in the same page with the other players, or desist to play.
                      Someone might have played ye olde text based games, methinks.

Comment

Nope no crafts at all

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post

That's sad.

But what, exactly, does he expect of RPG?. I mean, you say he tries to win, but the things he supposedly asked for weren't terribly munchkin (except, maybe, the Resouces part).
                          If he doesn't want to play your way...there's not much it can be done, you can't force people play your way, not even if it's "the correct way". You can only hope :P
                          I cant cite it right off the bat , but if I remember correctly , Garou and "domesticated animals" don't jive.
                          furthermore, why would a teenage kid be a high ranking RICH airforce reservist .....also how the shit would a garou be in military service?!

I don't expect them to play "my way" but I do expect the to respect the "feel" of the game. When a player suggests something that I didn't think about I absolutely love it if it fits and contributes and is in line (at least SOMEWHAT) with the SPLAT and character concept.

He also wanted to be a sniper with several high tech sniper rifles.....he wanted this AFTER telling me he was an air force reservist who does computer work in the military....His bullshit was coming so fast it was hard to even keep up to explain to him why it was ridiculous. I swear it felt like I was back at work dealing with at risk teenagers who don't listen , don't read, etc...

Comment

Most recent example , and the one that really made me almost blow my top:

the GoF and the Corax are deep in the wilderness after defeating the corrupt earth elemental.....they come upon a dying metis Shadowlord who dies right as he is about to tell the characters what happened....the SL's last words are " don't trust the....(death)".

The corax who is an awesome and mature player says that he is going to eat one of the eyes to see what he can find out.....so the corax is sitting on the dead SL's chest and pecks out an eye for info. I then stated that from inside the SL's body something seems to be moving upwards as if its going to come out of the dead NPC's mouth or throat.

The two GoF ( problem players) say this damn near in unison while shouting and excited at everyone at the table " WE START HACKING IT WE START HACKING IT APART!" (they were both in Crinos)

I asked the Corax to roll dodge, and he failed....long story short...I told the GoF to roll damage then had the Corax roll soak. The problem players start congratulating each other while the corax player is looking super annoyed (this was the first 20 minutes of the session).

I tell the corax about the battle scars etc..since he got caught in the crossfire of the two problem players. The two problem players then start a shit show of arguing where they say " WAIT WAIT WE DIDNT WANT TO HIT THE CORAX!" ...I told them they need to pay attention to the game and theirs consequences for their actions in this game (IMO). 45 minutes and 3 cigarettes later I was already at my wits end and was too frustrated to be a good ST for the rest of the session. Even the Corax player stated to the problem players " You both said you were hacking at the NPC while Im sitting on its chest.....what did you expect

Comment

It seems that there was/is a communication problem.

And that your players don't respect their turn.

I think you could have handwaved that the Croax just dodges without a roll, after all, it's a bogus situation, no reason to make the Croax pay for it.
                              Usually, when player it's 'bout to do something stupid you can state something like "are you sure?", or in this case, "there's a guy between the target and your swords". This training wheels may be bothersome, but sometimes they pay of.

Sometimes these kind of stuff hapens because the chemistry of the party isn't good. Probably the two "problem players" reinforce each other worse traits, even without truly wanting to. Other people may create a different chemistry, I've seen stories turn from terror to comedy just because a guy joined the table, and changed the mood despite all ST attempt to avoid it.

Do whatever you can to set the mood. If the players insist in murdering your attempts, then obviously they aren't on the same page as you, and may be time to leave...after all, you want to have fun too.

Comment

Working...
                              X