Cross-Genre Relationships?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-Genre Relationships?

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with or has any advice about cross-genre relationships on multi-genre boards (I'm on a board that has WtA, VtM, Mage, and regular mortals in the oWoD setting). My Metis Garou is currently in a relationship/having a fling with a Mage (both are so far unaware of the other's supernatural nature; the Mage feels his Rage, of course, but is still interested, and he hasn't put the dots together yet about this human woman he likes). I guess my questions are: Is it just a bad idea all-around or can it work? Do the characters have to remain ignorant of each other's natures for it to work? What kind of repercussions could there be if the relationship is discovered, etc? I'm asking in general, not just the specifics of my own character's situation.
    Last edited by Ruadhan; 02-23-2017, 03:40 PM.

Lucky lucky Terje!

Anyway, to me crossover worked best like this: Low-level characters/pariahs in general, no direct contact to higher society. And no dice. As in, things are kept at personal levels.

My gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
      Lucky lucky Terje!

Anyway, to me crossover worked best like this: Low-level characters/pariahs in general, no direct contact to higher society. And no dice. As in, things are kept at personal levels.
      LOL Yes. By that, do you mean they should just keep the relationship a secret?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruadhan View Post

LOL Yes. By that, do you mean they should just keep the relationship a secret?
        Talk to the STs, but generally if they don't -know- what the other is, let thing advance how they may.

My gallery.

Comment

Thanks! Anyone else want to chime in also? I'm also interested in the question as it applies generally. Has anyone seen cross-genre relationships on their board? How did it work out?

Comment

Yes, I have seen Changeling-Fera relationships, and they tend to work out because of the strange interfertility of the two groups. With a Metis, the rest of the Garou will probably just shake their head sadly, but it is not like he is bothering a female Kinfolk, so they will probably not care. Now, if they find out that she is a Mage, that will probably change things, but she is honestly unlikely to reveal her true nature.

Since she cannot ever have Garou or Kinfolk children with her Metis lover, she will never really be in a position to betray the Veil, so no one will care. The real complicating factor becomes if she is one of the lost Kinfolk and another Garou sniffs her out. If that happens, the elders may force the Metis to end the relationship so another Garou has a chance to put a bun in the oven, so to speak.

Comment

That is very helpful, thank you! I guess my next question is: If she does reveal that she is a Mage, does he have to then end the relationship since Mages are a potential enemy who can deplete a caern? vs. If he decided to continue the relationship in secret anyway even though he knows she's a Mage, is he just setting himself up for major trouble if the other Garou found out? Just wondering what the repercussions would be. I feel like a Mage isn't on the same level as a vampire, but I am new and I really don't know. Also, just out of curiosity, if he was a Homid Garou, would things be very different since he could potentially get her pregnant? Can Garou have Kinfolk or Garou children with a regular human, the chances are just way lower than with a Kinfolk?
              Last edited by Ruadhan; 02-25-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

That is very helpful, thank you! I guess my next question is: If she does reveal that she is a Mage, does he have to then end the relationship since Mages are a potential enemy who can deplete a caern? vs. If he decided to continue the relationship in secret anyway even though he knows she's a Mage, is he just setting himself up for major trouble if the other Garou found out? Just wondering what the repercussions would be. I feel like a Mage isn't on the same level as a vampire, but I am new and I really don't know.
                It depends on the Tribal make up of the Sept and history of the sept along with the Tradition/Craft/Convention of the mage their history in the local area. Along with how much Renown you have, and how you spin the story to others. "I'm seducing this potential enemy and keeping her away from the sept and directing her at our enemies aren't I super fucking clever shadowlord?" for example is an option.

So your character is a Metis, what Tribe? A Child of Gaia might be able to argue love but a Shadowlord knows love is weakness so he needs a better argument.

Presumably the Mage isn't a Technocrat or Nephandi but a "standard" mage those on the more naturalistic end can work quite effectively with Garou and be powerful allies. But even some of the more techno focused types can play nice with Glasswalkers.

Has the Sept in the past had serious issues with Mages or is there more "they are potentially dangerous"? A Caern who's had to fight off a bunch of Mage assaults is going to treat the situation different than one that hasn't had a history with mages except via vague commentary on them.

All secrets are eventually uncovered. How it comes out will effect the situation. Even "I left her after discovering she was a Mage" will potentially have people questioning your actions.

[quote[Also, just out of curiosity, if he was a Homid Garou, would things be very different since he could potentially get her pregnant? Can Garou have Kinfolk or Garou children with a regular human, the chances are just way lower than with a Kinfolk?[/QUOTE]

Yes to all of the above. If your character were Lupus the same would be true too. Breeds TEND to stick to theirown kin but its not manditory.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

It depends on the Tribal make up of the Sept and history of the sept along with the Tradition/Craft/Convention of the mage their history in the local area. Along with how much Renown you have, and how you spin the story to others. "I'm seducing this potential enemy and keeping her away from the sept and directing her at our enemies aren't I super fucking clever shadowlord?" for example is an option.

So your character is a Metis, what Tribe? A Child of Gaia might be able to argue love but a Shadowlord knows love is weakness so he needs a better argument.

Presumably the Mage isn't a Technocrat or Nephandi but a "standard" mage those on the more naturalistic end can work quite effectively with Garou and be powerful allies. But even some of the more techno focused types can play nice with Glasswalkers.

Has the Sept in the past had serious issues with Mages or is there more "they are potentially dangerous"? A Caern who's had to fight off a bunch of Mage assaults is going to treat the situation different than one that hasn't had a history with mages except via vague commentary on them.

All secrets are eventually uncovered. How it comes out will effect the situation. Even "I left her after discovering she was a Mage" will potentially have people questioning your actions.

[quote[Also, just out of curiosity, if he was a Homid Garou, would things be very different since he could potentially get her pregnant? Can Garou have Kinfolk or Garou children with a regular human, the chances are just way lower than with a Kinfolk?

Yes to all of the above. If your character were Lupus the same would be true too. Breeds TEND to stick to theirown kin but its not manditory.
                  So, from what I have read of the history of the area that was posted, the Mages have pretty much stayed out of conflict with the other supernaturals throughout their long history and have until recent times been pretty isolationist. What attacks there have been on the Sept have come from forces of the Wyrm (which are not specified). My character is a relatively new arrival at the Sept and has not really established himself there yet.

I know this will probably sound crazy, but he is Get of Fenris. However, he's not entirely played straight as a Get of Fenris. He is a fierce warrior, but he can also be more compassionate than might be usual with a Fenrir.

The Mage is Verbena and seems to enjoy nature and basically being a Pagan witch. Does not come across as a threat at all nor does she seem to be doing anything nefarious. They seem to have a genuine connection. I'm just wondering how to play it if he does find out she's a Mage.
                  Last edited by Ruadhan; 02-25-2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

So, from what I have read of the history of the area that was posted, the Mages have pretty much stayed out of conflict with the other supernaturals throughout their long history and have until recent times been pretty isolationist. What attacks there have been on the Sept have come from forces of the Wyrm (which are not specified).

I know this will probably sound crazy, but he is Get of Fenris. However, he's not entirely played straight as a Get of Fenris. He is a fierce warrior, but he can also be more compassionate than might be usual with a Fenrir.

The Mage is Verbena and seems to enjoy nature and basically being a Pagan witch. Does not come across as a threat at all nor does she seem to be doing anything nefarious.

Doesn't sound Crazy at all. You've proven yourself to Fenris. What auspice are you? Is she Norse Pagan(that can be a problem since they worship many things that the Fenrir equate with the wyrm)

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Doesn't sound Crazy at all. You've proven yourself to Fenris. What auspice are you? Is she Norse Pagan(that can be a problem since they worship many things that the Fenrir equate with the wyrm)

He is an Ahroun. She doesn't seem to be Norse Pagan, more like your standard neopagan/sort of Wiccan/druidic. What do you think about if he learns she is a Mage? Does that make him duty-bound to leave her or else he'd be in major trouble with the other Garou, even if the Mage means no harm to the Garou and the caern?

Comment

He is an Ahroun. She doesn't seem to be Norse Pagan, more like your standard neopagan/sort of Wiccan/druidic. What do you think about if he learns she is a Mage? Does that make him duty-bound to leave her or else he'd be in major trouble with the other Garou, even if the Mage means no harm to the Garou and the caern?
                        Mages can pose a threat to caerns, drinking them dry of spirit power to fuel their own magic, but... she wouldn't do that, right? She's different.

As far as you having to drop her like a hot potato upon finding that she was a will-worker, I think it depends on you as an individual. Mages are more compatible with Garou than, say, vampires or demons, and coexistence is possible. Heck, in my game, one of my Garou was unwittingly adopted by a mage. Things were tense after her first change, although they still exchange letters and she thinks of him as a distant father figure. He has come to her aid in the past when she was in a jam, even if the other Garou are mistrustful of his motives.

I think the less the Wiccan-wizard knows, the safer the relationship is. Don't let her know where the caern is, if possible, because even if she means no harm, her buddies might have no such qualms... and the last thing you want to do is be accused of risking a caern, especially if you are kind of an outsider.

I also think things might be rough for your Metis if this came to light, just because Metis get the short end of the stick, but if you can handle the potential fallout, go after that magic pussy. It is dangerous, but the story seems interesting. Forbidden love is the sort of stuff that a good storyteller can really work with. I can also see the appeal of a Metis being drawn to an illicit relationship, too.
                        Last edited by The Laughing Stranger; 02-26-2017, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Well a ragabash would have more latitude to interpret things but you make do. Generally speaking your Duty is to Gaia. Then your tribe. Then somewhat last there yourself. Your tribe is going to treat any romantic interactions you have as recreational because you can't have kids. Now you might be tempted down the path of "maybe Magick can fix this" don't go down that path mages have been around forever and no one else has ever tried? clearly there's a reason.

As a Verbena she's unlikely to be an enemy of Gaia, your Tribe MIGHT have issues with the situation.. but you'd also get a situation for having a relationship with.. ANYONE its a betrayal its wasting your time, you have more important things to do. It has alot of potential to blow up on your face.

Comment

If he was non-Metis (Homid or Lupus), he would have a 10% chance of siring Homid Garou and 90% chance of siring Human Kinfolk. Mating with Kinfolk only improves the odds if they have Pure Breed (5% per level). The primary reason why Garou mate with Kinfolk is that they already know the secret and are immune to Delirium.

Comment

I agree with The Laughing Stranger that it makes for an interesting, if potentially dangerous story. So far we've been enjoying writing this story together. the Mage and I. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things develop. It just seems like a shame that the one thing that the Metis gets to enjoy could kill him or land him in very hot water. Dude can't catch a break, no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                              X