No announcement yet.

Garou Metis Populations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to be a dick , I guess it's dickish, I am what am in the end , but I like the more offensive shit gets in the game am I the only nihilist around? In any case , I like a more dystopian garou nation so I use Metis heavily. I always have them treated like dog shit and make them with character and personality defects on top of physical deformities.

Comment

I'm aware I probably use a lot of words wrong but im not a true geek. That's a joke y'all settle down.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
        I would not allow autistic as a Metis Deformity because it does not physically mark them as a violation of the Litany.
        Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
        I was unaware metis had to have a physical deformity.
        Metis must have a "deformity," but it isn't necessary for it to be a physical deformity. Examples of Metis deformities in the corebook include: "Fits of Madness" and "Seizures". Now ultimately this is probably caused by something wrong in the Metis' physical/genetic makeup, but the sympton/game mechanic isn't physical - it appears mental or emotional. Then there are the physical deformities that don't obviously mark a Metis as deformed, like "No Sense of Smell", "Wasting Disease", and "Weak Immune System" - although these would likely be noticeably over time.

I think some form of autism is perfectly acceptable as a Metis deformity (it would need to be severe enough that there is some kind of penalty attached, or is pronounced enough that it is obvious something is wrong with the Garou). Although some forms of autism are probably so severe that it would impair the Garou's ability to fight, or frustrate the Garou raising them so early that they leave the child to die as exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by idpersona View Post
          Of course. It's a matter of perspective, and your group very well may have not given it a second thought. But (imo) it's best to avoid the chance of offending people if it's something easy to switch. I've more than 1 friend on the autism scale, and I could see them being unhappy if I put a character like that in the game.

For what it counts (and it's not like my random internet opinion matters), I really like that you are willing to switch it out. It shows that it didn't really occur to you that the concept might be offensive.
          It is hard to know how my group will react as the whole Internet could drop in and vote in my game.
          It's a quest game, which is similar to a choose your own adventure book. Some times my players only post their vote, so if a player disappears, I don't know why sometimes.

Like the Avenue Q song, everyone is a little racist. I accept I have some blind spots and try to correct when someone points them out to me.

I'm not sure what I will do with the character. The character will not be introduced for months, so I got time to decide.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

If you want to make the metis a recluse give them a hunched back or twisted limp, have them be a warder who gets to watch the most out of the way section of the bawn.

Comment

Abortion's been around in various forms for millennia. I'm surprised when people think it would be a viable way to get rid of a metis fetus...or that a character who went to the trouble to violate the First Tenet would do such a thing.

My Werewolf experience mostly comes in the form of LARP, where people rarely play Metis who aren't signing up for certain kinds of in-character trouble, so I'd say about 80% are Homids, 10% Lupus, and 10% Metis. Most Gaian-born Metis stay with the side of Gaia and don't Fall nearly as often as Shadow Lords do.

Comment

Originally posted by WISDOMINCHAINS View Post
                Not to be a dick , I guess it's dickish, I am what am in the end , but I like the more offensive shit gets in the game am I the only nihilist around? In any case , I like a more dystopian garou nation so I use Metis heavily. I always have them treated like dog shit and make them with character and personality defects on top of physical deformities.
                Do these metis characters exist as characters in themselves, or are they just window dressing?

For me personally, as I play a lot of metis, I tend to think of the populations a lot. Ironically, unless a sept is Child of Gaia, GW or Gnawers, the more metis at cliath rank or below it has, the stricter and more abusive it is. Because septs that are more accepting usually also let their metis leave and seek out their own place. Fianna might use Rite of Passage and getting out of the sept as a prize, while Silver Fangs might just use metis as cheap labour or out and out hide them in monasteries.

For metis -above- cliath rank, things are different. Because once you are fostern, you have made it through the glass ceiling your breed has. So any Fostern, Adren,etc. are case by case basis. If they are in the sept, they generally areaccepted and don't count towards the metis 'number' in the sept.

As for the autism thing, while I think milder forms of autism shouldn't be a deformity, the fact is that almost every physical deformity metis have has a real life counterpart. And it doesn't mean it is always offensive, a person in a wheelchair or with mobility issues in general might enjoy playing a metis with similar issues. So severe autism isn't out of the question, as long as research is done about it.

Comment

I would think that 10% Merit would be rather high for the Garou Nation because that would mean that 20% of the Garou Nation have violated the Litany an average of forty times (assuming average human fertility rates). Considering the degree of severity of the sin of having a Metis child, I would be surprised if 2% of the population of the Garou Nation would be foolish enough to have unprotected sex with another Garou of the opposite sex an average of forty times. In addition, I really do think that Metis are accidents, as the majority of Garou who engage in illicit affairs would be paranoid enough to use condoms, meaning that Metis would be born to either the most careless or most energetic of Garou who were willing to have illicit affairs.

It is because of the population dynamics of the Garou Nation that I do not normally allow Metis characters. With a global population of 15,000 Garou in the Garou Nation, I rule that there are only 150 Metis Garou in the Garou Nation. They are seldom allowed to interact with normal humans and, without exception, they are trained to be the Keepers of the Lore and the Judges of the Litany.

In my games, it is the role of the Metis to punish the Garou who violate the Litany by producing Metis children because adult Metis are the only Garou who can understand the suffering of Metis children. The parents of Metis children are usually obligated to submit to the punishments of Erebus, as they have sinned too greatly to be punished by the Garou but may yet be saved. Adult Metis raise child Metis as their adopted children so they may understand their role in the Garou Nation and so they may punish the guilty.
                  Last edited by Aya Tari; 02-25-2017, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post

Do these metis characters exist as characters in themselves, or are they just window dressing?

For me personally, as I play a lot of metis, I tend to think of the populations a lot. Ironically, unless a sept is Child of Gaia, GW or Gnawers, the more metis at cliath rank or below it has, the stricter and more abusive it is. Because septs that are more accepting usually also let their metis leave and seek out their own place. Fianna might use Rite of Passage and getting out of the sept as a prize, while Silver Fangs might just use metis as cheap labour or out and out hide them in monasteries.

For metis -above- cliath rank, things are different. Because once you are fostern, you have made it through the glass ceiling your breed has. So any Fostern, Adren,etc. are case by case basis. If they are in the sept, they generally areaccepted and don't count towards the metis 'number' in the sept.

As for the autism thing, while I think milder forms of autism shouldn't be a deformity, the fact is that almost every physical deformity metis have has a real life counterpart. And it doesn't mean it is always offensive, a person in a wheelchair or with mobility issues in general might enjoy playing a metis with similar issues. So severe autism isn't out of the question, as long as research is done about it.
                    Window dressing mostly although one of my buds loves playing Metis , I don't impose the worldview as harshly on his character.

Edit: it just hit me that he plays Metis so much because he likes not having to roll to go to crinos

Comment

Window dressing mostly although one of my buds loves playing Metis , I don't impose the worldview as harshly on his character.

Edit: it just hit me that he plays Metis so much because he likes not having to roll to go to crinos
                      Please don't go for window dressing approach, it isn't really showing the darkness of the Nation well because in the end the metis abused don't -matter-. Instead, might I suggest you instead make the players see the metis aren't useless to the sept, yet still get the short end of the stick? Or have some tribe-mates try to rile the PCs up for a bit of metis bashing?

Comment

Metis are potentially walking violations of the Veil because Crinos is their breed form. They will revert to Crinos form if Incapacitated, which is much harder to hide than a reverting to wolf form or human form. People can rationalize the sudden appearance of a wolf or a human, it is damn difficult to rationalize a human-wolf hybrid whose very appearance makes you want to piss yourself in terror.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post

Please don't go for window dressing approach, it isn't really showing the darkness of the Nation well because in the end the metis abused don't -matter-. Instead, might I suggest you instead make the players see the metis aren't useless to the sept, yet still get the short end of the stick? Or have some tribe-mates try to rile the PCs up for a bit of metis bashing?
                          I thought that's what you meant by window dressing , how you stated it is pretty spot on to how I use em

Comment

I thought that's what you meant by window dressing , how you stated it is pretty spot on to how I use em
                            Aah, ok. Cool ^^

Comment

Working...
                            X