Activated Fetishes and Non-owners/non-shifters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activated Fetishes and Non-owners/non-shifters

So something I don't think I've noticed in the past covered...if a shifter activates a fetish, and loses it (disarm, throw, drop, ect.) can it be used by someone else who picks it up (i.e. another shifter, human, vampire, changling, ect.)?

Well yes, however they need to know what it is or identity it as something special and generally how to use a fetish or at least talk to the spirit inside in.

Comment

Originally posted by CeltSPZ View Post
      So something I don't think I've noticed in the past covered...if a shifter activates a fetish, and loses it (disarm, throw, drop, ect.) can it be used by someone else who picks it up (i.e. another shifter, human, vampire, changling, ect.)?
      I would say no. The activation roll (to me) is the the Fera using their spirit to touch the spirit of the item. If they lose the item and someone else picks it up, I would rule the Fetish essentially deactivates.

Obviously, Fetishes designed to be activated by Willpower (for Kin to use) would possibly follow a different system. It has never come up in a game for me before. I would probably have those items stay activated unless a Vampire picked them up (since Vampires are spiritual voids in WtA).

Comment

Well, before a specific person can use a fetish, they have to attune to it (essentially getting the spirit within to allow you to use the fetish). After that, the person activates the fetish each time they use it (or for each scene, depending). If someone attunes themselves to the fetish and then loses it, I'd say that naturally someone else can attempt to attune to it once they've acquired it (otherwise, how would klaives be passed on?). If someone activates the fetish and then loses it, I'd say that it continues doing whatever it is that it was doing until it comes to its natural end (for that use/scene/etc.) unless it needs active interaction. For example, Sanctuary Chimes (p. 224) are just going to keep on working for that full day, regardless if the owner is there or not. On the other hand, a Harmony Flute (p. 221) is going to stop as soon as the wielder stops playing.

Comment

Unless otherwise stated by the fetish (noted above by Wakuwa), once a character loses possession of the fetish it goes inert and needs to be reactivated when wielded again. That said, a giant silver sword thrust through a BSD's chest is still going to do unsoakable aggravated damage regardless of who wields it.

Only a character with Shifter blood (kinfolk/Fera) and Gnosis (unless otherwise stated) can attune to a fetish, so after the fetish was lost one with gnosis could attempt to attune to the weapon. Ratkin and Corax are notorious for stealing other breeds fetishes. Undead are unable to attune entirely (pg. 98 'Hammer & Klaive')

Some fetishes are made specifically for Kinfolk (normally requiring a WP roll instead of Gnosis for activation), another kinfolk could attempt to attune and activate one of these if they realized what they had. A normal human on the other hand could do nothing with it. (Pg 74 'W20: Kinfolk')

Comment

Originally posted by Derzhuzad View Post
            Unless otherwise stated by the fetish (noted above by Wakuwa), once a character loses possession of the fetish it goes inert and needs to be reactivated when wielded again. That said, a giant silver sword thrust through a BSD's chest is still going to do unsoakable aggravated damage regardless of who wields it.

Only a character with Shifter blood (kinfolk/Fera) and Gnosis (unless otherwise stated) can attune to a fetish, so after the fetish was lost one with gnosis could attempt to attune to the weapon. Ratkin and Corax are notorious for stealing other breeds fetishes. Undead are unable to attune entirely (pg. 98 'Hammer & Klaive')

Some fetishes are made specifically for Kinfolk (normally requiring a WP roll instead of Gnosis for activation), another kinfolk could attempt to attune and activate one of these if they realized what they had. A normal human on the other hand could do nothing with it. (Pg 74 'W20: Kinfolk')
            That's a very complete answer. Awesome. And thanks for the book/page citations.

Comment

Well, Sorcerers can use fetishes up to the third level (activating them requires Wits plus Enigmas, difficulty level plus 5), though they have to acquire them (Hedge Wizard's Handbook, p. 64).

Comment

That is a pretty old reference. I went through Hunter's Hunted 2, Sorcerer (Revised), Hammer and Klaive, and the Kinfolk (W20) book; none of them talk about that. As the storyteller I wouldn't let just any Sorcerer or Hedge activate a fetish. A Sorcerer would have to be trained in Enchantment or Summoning/Binding/Warding rituals to know what they were even looking at or how to go about even trying to activate it. I don't have a lot of experience with Hedge Wizards in Hunters Hunted, I don't think they have anything comparable to justify them even knowing how to try to identify a fetish let alone activate one.

I think this is a good example of 'left to the storytellers discretion'. lol.

Comment

To use a fetish, a Garou must attune himself to it which requires a Gnosis roll. So anyone not having a Gnosis shouldn't be able to use "standard" fetishes.

Furthermore, spirits bound in fetishes are only obligated to obey Garou because of ancient pacts, and those pacts require Garou to respect the spirits in return. Otherwise fetishes can become rebellious and work strangely if at all. So it is entirely possible that besides having Gnosis, a person must belong to some kind of group or legacy that has a similar pact.

So usually fetishes should be able to be used by just anyone. However, I would assume almost all Fera would be able to use them.

However, because of the unique nature of some fetishes (or how they were bound) it may be possible for some of them to be used by others. However, there should be some kind of reason why that is the case.

For Wyrm fetishes though, I think anything can happen. I can see Wyrm fetishes allowing themselves to be used by anyone provided that doing so allows them to corrupt their users and otherwise advance the Wyrm's agenda. I use lots of Wyrm fetishes in my chronicles to start Wyrm cults and empower ordinary people so I can use them as antagonists.

Comment

Working...
                  X