Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this work as a Werewolf Antagonist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this work as a Werewolf Antagonist?

I thought up an antagonist that is basically a parody of celebrity chief's His name is Henry Applegate, an English chef with his own TV program on Omni Television. His show is watched by millions who are enthralled with Henry's cooking skills and charming personality. His audience has no idea that Henry has a view dark secrets. One of the most sinister being he is actually a cannibal.

Recently, he figured out about the Fera through someone in Pentex and Henry, being the ever curious gourmet, decided he wanted to kill and eat one. So, he has rigged his mansion with traps and other nasty surprises and is waiting for unwary Fera to fall into his clutches.

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
    I thought up an antagonist that is basically a parody of celebrity chief's His name is Henry Applegate, an English chef with his own TV program on Omni Television. His show is watched by millions who are enthralled with Henry's cooking skills and charming personality. His audience has no idea that Henry has a view dark secrets. One of the most sinister being he is actually a cannibal.

Recently, he figured out about the Fera through someone in Pentex and Henry, being the ever curious gourmet, decided he wanted to kill and eat one. So, he has rigged his mansion with traps and other nasty surprises and is waiting for unwary Fera to fall into his clutches.
    It's a bit weird, but I don't see why not.

Comment

Well, his traps would not work terribly well on Fera. And I see no particular reason why Fera would investigate his house. I think a better idea would be that his house is trapped to catch unwary thieves for his cannibal cuisine and runs into the Fera when one of their Kinfolk attempts to rob his house and disappears into his cooking pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
        Well, his traps would not work terribly well on Fera. And I see no particular reason why Fera would investigate his house. I think a better idea would be that his house is trapped to catch unwary thieves for his cannibal cuisine and runs into the Fera when one of their Kinfolk attempts to rob his house and disappears into his cooking pot.
        I can defiantly see a dramatic scene where a Fera discovers his or her kinfolk hanging on a meathook in a freezer with a bullethole in his head due to a trap. I did the traps in the house so he could actually be a threat. But, I assume he could throw stuff at them while they are hunting for him. For example, he can be a member of The Pretanic Keys or Cult of Despair and send cultists after them.

Comment

I think the concept is strong, but that your plot is weak. Waiting for one or more Fera to show up at his mansion (why would they want to go there?) so they can be (passively) killed by traps does not make a memorable villain.

Here is what I would do with him.

1) He's a cannibal. You need to explain why. Perhaps when he was a younger chef learning to cook, he traveled the globe to learn direct from these cultures, and he inadvertently became a member of a local Wyrm cult devoted to cannibalism/man-eating when his local mentor fed him human flesh. Once he did so, he became tainted and a Bane entered him, giving him powers.

2) Ever since, he's been expanding this local cannibalism cult to worldwide by secretly feeding people human flesh. As he's built up the cult, OmniTV approached him to get his own specials/show to increase the Wyrm corruption in the world.

3) He's now the leader of a worldwide cannibal cult. Every year, the leaders of the local cults get together at a party he puts on a gourmet pageant where they dine on human flesh. The cult is responsible for local kidnappings, Wyrm rituals, etc., but generally keep a low profile. Their long term plan is to enact in stages the gradual social acceptance of human society of cannibalism. To that end, they sponsor scholarly expedition and works to learn about historical cannibalistic cultures. They sponsor anthropological expeditions to those few primitive human tribes that still exist today that engage in ritual cannibalism. They encourage "tolerance" of these acts. As that becomes accepted by mainstream, then they'll slowly move the bar again and again by stages. They hope to achieve their goal in one or two centuries.

4) He already knows about the Garou because his cannibalism cult has connections to the various maneater cults within the Garou - in the Bone Gnawers, Silent Striders, etc. So his cult may include kinfolk and individual Garou.

5) He is taking the next step to hunt and eat Fera, but that means organizing hunting expeditions to South America, Asia, and Africa to go after individual Fera himselfs. One function of the local cannibal cults is to keep track of possible Fera activity so that these hunts can occur. Of course, when he goes out on hunts, he is not alone. Besides his fomori companions, he also takes with some of the corrupted maneating Garou to protect him if anything goes wrong.

I think this has several benefits for you. One is that he is not a one and done villain. PCs can work their way up to him by fighting a local cannibal cult, find evidence, and eventually go up the chain to Applegate. That also gives you time to introduce/name drop Applegate in your campaign in more innocuous contexts. Two is that encounter will be more dangerous as the scope of antagonists have grown. Finally, it makes Applegate a more proactive villain. He isn't waiting for a Fera to stumble upon his mansion. He's building a cult, corrupting Garou, and then going out and hunting individual Fera himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post

This works much better.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
              I think the concept is strong, but that your plot is weak. Waiting for one or more Fera to show up at his mansion (why would they want to go there?) so they can be (passively) killed by traps does not make a memorable villain.

Here is what I would do with him.

1) He's a cannibal. You need to explain why. Perhaps when he was a younger chef learning to cook, he traveled the globe to learn direct from these cultures, and he inadvertently became a member of a local Wyrm cult devoted to cannibalism/man-eating when his local mentor fed him human flesh. Once he did so, he became tainted and a Bane entered him, giving him powers.

2) Ever since, he's been expanding this local cannibalism cult to worldwide by secretly feeding people human flesh. As he's built up the cult, OmniTV approached him to get his own specials/show to increase the Wyrm corruption in the world.

3) He's now the leader of a worldwide cannibal cult. Every year, the leaders of the local cults get together at a party he puts on a gourmet pageant where they dine on human flesh. The cult is responsible for local kidnappings, Wyrm rituals, etc., but generally keep a low profile. Their long term plan is to enact in stages the gradual social acceptance of human society of cannibalism. To that end, they sponsor scholarly expedition and works to learn about historical cannibalistic cultures. They sponsor anthropological expeditions to those few primitive human tribes that still exist today that engage in ritual cannibalism. They encourage "tolerance" of these acts. As that becomes accepted by mainstream, then they'll slowly move the bar again and again by stages. They hope to achieve their goal in one or two centuries.

4) He already knows about the Garou because his cannibalism cult has connections to the various maneater cults within the Garou - in the Bone Gnawers, Silent Striders, etc. So his cult may include kinfolk and individual Garou.

5) He is taking the next step to hunt and eat Fera, but that means organizing hunting expeditions to South America, Asia, and Africa to go after individual Fera himselfs. One function of the local cannibal cults is to keep track of possible Fera activity so that these hunts can occur. Of course, when he goes out on hunts, he is not alone. Besides his fomori companions, he also takes with some of the corrupted maneating Garou to protect him if anything goes wrong.

I think this has several benefits for you. One is that he is not a one and done villain. PCs can work their way up to him by fighting a local cannibal cult, find evidence, and eventually go up the chain to Applegate. That also gives you time to introduce/name drop Applegate in your campaign in more innocuous contexts. Two is that encounter will be more dangerous as the scope of antagonists have grown. Finally, it makes Applegate a more proactive villain. He isn't waiting for a Fera to stumble upon his mansion. He's building a cult, corrupting Garou, and then going out and hunting individual Fera himself.
              I like your ideas and I might use them if you don't mind. Chef Applegate owns a restaurant named The Pagoda where he serves Asian food. Since the cult he encountered was in Asia he twists Asain dishes by adding human flesh to it. His TV show, World Tour with Chef Applegate is the Chef cooking international dishes with a hint of comedy, think Alton Brown . He dosen't use human flesh on his show but his presence his enough to taint viewers. Also, I was thinking on having him buddy up with a Pentex board member. Which one would be open to his "unique" tastes?

Comment

I like your ideas and I might use them if you don't mind. Chef Applegate owns a restaurant named The Pagoda where he serves Asian food. Since the cult he encountered was in Asia he twists Asain dishes by adding human flesh to it. His TV show, World Tour with Chef Applegate is the Chef cooking international dishes with a hint of comedy, think Alton Brown . He dosen't use human flesh on his show but his presence his enough to taint viewers. Also, I was thinking on having him buddy up with a Pentex board member. Which one would be open to his "unique" tastes?
                Pochard or Baptiste. Pochard is an enigmatic weirdo who's free-floating nature as a devout Wyrm-sorcerer would allow him to benefit from a widespread cannibal cult in a number of ways. Baptiste has lots of experience in television and marketing; I could see him being interested in making Applegate's cooking empire into a worldwide phenomenon.

Comment

One twist could be that he had some obscure connection to Abnatha-The-Laughing-One, and somehow found out (or figured out) how to use the Silent Strider Gift or Rite (or whatever it was) that lets them devour the knowledge of someone by eating their brains.

​Or better yet, if he's hunting Fera, that Gift allows him to begin to absorb some of their powers... and the more Fera he consumes, the more of the powers he gets (or the stronger those powers become). Sort of like a new kind of Skin Dancer threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Uniform Two Six View Post
                    One twist could be that he had some obscure connection to Abnatha-The-Laughing-One, and somehow found out (or figured out) how to use the Silent Strider Gift or Rite (or whatever it was) that lets them devour the knowledge of someone by eating their brains.

​Or better yet, if he's hunting Fera, that Gift allows him to begin to absorb some of their powers... and the more Fera he consumes, the more of the powers he gets (or the stronger those powers become). Sort of like a new kind of Skin Dancer threat.
                    I kinda like both your options. I wonder if it is possible to mix them? Also, i think i could have him buddy up with Baptiste. I wonder what kind of connection could a psychotic chef have with a crazy Silent Strider like Abnatha?

Comment

I wonder what kind of connection could a psychotic chef have with a crazy Silent Strider like Abnatha?
                      I don't know if he would have access to the same rite that Abnatha knows, but brain-eating is a well-established trope, one that the Eaters of the Dead hardly have a lock on. If Applegate has developed some sort of psychic prowess or Wyrm mutation, his cannibalism might result in enhanced powers or secret knowledge. Maybe he wants to make more people like him...

Now I am imagining a fucked up cook-off where the contestants eat the losers/incorporate them into their dishes... and the winner gets consumed by Applegate himself!

Comment

I often have my Infernalist NPCs practice cannibalism as part of their pacts. My favorite is a woman who must murder one male lover a year and consume the flesh. She usually turns her victims into sausages, so she can consume their flesh throughout the year (she also turns their fat into the scented soap that she bathes with and their bones into the bone meal that she uses to fertilize her vegetable garden).

Comment

That cook off sounds like something that can only happen in Werewolf: The Apocalypse. I guess having him be a Psychic due to a Wyrm Mutation could work. Not, let's discuss the cult. Since the cult is Asiatic in origins I got to think up a fitting name and figure out what exactly they worship. Since not all Wyrm cults actually worship the Wyrm knowingly I would like to think they are worshipping one of it's spiritual servants or a avatar. I am thinking either one of the Maeljin or some other type of Wyrm Spirit. Also, wouldn't that mean Applegate would be more familiar with the Hegenyokai than with Western Shapeshifters?
                          Last edited by Killerclown; 03-15-2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

wouldn't that mean Applegate would be more familiar with the Hegenyokai than with Western Shapeshifters?
                            I don't think most humans have the clarity to know what they are serving. Ignorance is kind of an important driving force, I think. Most people would never come anywhere near an entropy-worshiping cult that turns its members into insane possessed monsters, so a lot of Wymish groups are more about indoctrination and misinformation than actual secrets. I think it is highly likely they would know some secret Wyrm lore, and maybe some nice recipes for sauté brains, but that doesn't mean they really know jack about the Beast Courts, other than sometimes monsters attack and wipe out individual congregations.

If you want Applegate et.al to be incredibly knowledgeable about the fera, go for it, but geographic proximity doesn't necessarily mean they know shit.

Comment

Wish I found this thread earlier...I ran an arch years ago about a wyrm cult called the "Silver Pallet" who were a group of foodies who paid good money for metis flesh (I figured real silverware was a must in those situations, and added some sorcery based marinades so the meat wouldn't be so chewy).

Comment

Working...
                              X