No announcement yet.

How well would a campaign for two work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well would a campaign for two work?

How hard is it / would it be to tailor a short campaign to two players? I have a D&D group I've been playing with and decided I wanted to introduce them to the WtA. It's been nearly 18 years since I last played it so I'm a bit out of practice. If this is successful, and they have fun, I would either expand the campaign or start up another one with additional players, I just want to start off small first so I'm only boring 2 people instead of 5 or 6 if it doesn't work out. I expect I will probably have to play a character as well to balance it out a bit, depending on what they end up making.
    Any suggestions on how I should handle it? I would rather not limit them on their builds, or have to hand out too many extras to balance it out. But if there is a particular combo that would work the best for doing this I would certainly encourage them in that direction.

WtA isn't DnD, combat is relatively simple- burn rage and tear the other guy a new hole with your terrifying claws and fangs. If you have fetishes, use 'em. I don't want to say 'builds don't matter' since overlapping abilities is boring, but your players can likely get away with whatever Auspice/Tribe they want as long as it is different enough and you deem it appropriate (some GMs disallow Red Talons or Lupus breed Garou altogether, which may be a good option for first-timers). A Black Fury Ragabash and a Glasswalker Ahroun working together is fine, and so is a Bonegnawer Galliard and a Silver Fang Theurge. Werewolves are always dangerous; their natural talents mean they are never irrelevant in a fight.

2 is a bit small but totally workable, especially if you run them through a 'rite of passage' scenario. They won't be in a formalized pack yet, so just being the two of them should be fine.

What sort of story do you have in mind? Do you have an idea of where your game will be set, and who the major NPC players are?

Comment

It may work if you do a "last survivors of a larger pack" scenario.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post

What sort of story do you have in mind? Do you have an idea of where your game will be set, and who the major NPC players are?
        I do have ideas for the long game of them visiting at least 4-5 major cities / caerns to act as kind of hubs where they will resolve some conflicts and get the clues necessary to move to the next location. Eventually leading up to finding a place of power that is being unknowingly corrupted by researchers using Pentex manufactured gear and security provided by a Pentex owned security firm staffed with fomori and BSD, that should the players get that far and be successful in eliminating, get to start a new caern. I've got ideas for some recurring enemy NPCs that they'll run across with a couple of them having their own goals and motivations tangental to the "main" story, that if the players discover their plans they may be able to stop and possibly make the end goal easier if they do.

Getting all the way to the end doesn't seem reasonable to me for just two Garou, so I'm undecided just how much effort to put into that before I've determined if we will bring in the other 2-3 players. All the players are in their late 20s, so making them cubs going through a rite of passage seems awkward to me, but that might just be me. The short game / my warm up is where I think I would have trouble making it feel compelling. If it's too hard because there's only two of them, they may not have enough fun to want to continue, I'm not opposed to fudging some rolls when necessary to keep things moving in the event of bad rolls, but I want to make sure their actions have some weight to them.

Comment

A 2 player intro game is perfectly workable. Just try not to double up on Auspices, though even this is fine if the players set their characters up differently. I've run an intro game for 2 people before and they wanted to play twins and so they both had the same Tribe (not necessarily true always) and Auspice. They were different enough though, with different Gift selections that it worked. Just keep the story tight and you shouldn't have much issue to start.

Originally posted by otomoton View Post
          All the players are in their late 20s, so making them cubs going through a rite of passage seems awkward to me, but that might just be me.
          Garou can go through their First Change in their mid 20s, so this isn't really a deal breaker. They don't have to be teens. And it might be a decent idea to go through their Rite of Passage to get the players used to the system and then jump forward to them being more experienced (into Rank 1).

Originally posted by otomoton View Post
          The short game / my warm up is where I think I would have trouble making it feel compelling. If it's too hard because there's only two of them, they may not have enough fun to want to continue, I'm not opposed to fudging some rolls when necessary to keep things moving in the event of bad rolls, but I want to make sure their actions have some weight to them.
          Garou are tough. As long as you are holding back on pelting them with Spirals they should be able to pull through. Try and have multiple elements to the story, some detective work, some political stuff, some combat. Especially coming from D&D (in my experience) dealing with the other aspects of the game can be decently new.
          Last edited by idpersona; 03-15-2017, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X