Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do Shifters react to Mummies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do Shifters react to Mummies?

    Quick run-down on Mummies for anyone who hasn't read their book:

    - Living people with living souls. They almost died (dead soul, body not quite dead) and made a bargain with Osiris, who offered to resurrect them and heal their soul with shards of broken Egyptian souls from the past. They return super-alive; they are hardier, and the pleasures of life are more intense for them. They are fertile and "alive" in every spiritual and physiological sense.

    - They are nigh-indestructible. If you destroy their body completely they will eventually return. Nothing short of a nuclear blast (or magical equivalent) will seal them away forever... only suicide, Permanent Willpower falling to 0, POTENT (and extremely dangerous) Magick and apocalyptic events can utterly destroy them.

    - Their spirits can wander the Low Umbra somewhat like a Wraith would.

    - Their primary antagonist is an analogue of the Wyrm, the force of Apophysis that is driving the world towards its end. Common goal.

    - They generally are antagonistic towards Vampires, especially Setites. Common enemy.

    - They are profoundly humanitarian; the environment and animals matter far less to them than they do to Shifters.

    - Like the Garou, they have 'fallen cousins', the Bane Mummies.

    - They have links to ancestral spirits, these being ancient egyptians, not unlike Shifter's links to their ancestors.

    - Their mechanical power grows as they follow their duty (they have something akin to Humanity that effects how powerful they are, much like Werewolves and Kuei Jin).

    - They exist with a defined purpose and know their exact place in the universe, like the Shifters (by and large).

    - They can be exceptionally powerful; changing global weather patterns is achievable for a single Mummy, and not even a particularly potent one.

    - They have undead precursors; the Mummies used to be very much 'not alive'. Their creator may or may not be a Wraith or Vampire, or maybe used to be one.

    - I imagine that they would be rather odd if examined with "Sense [Triat]". They were brought back from near-death and have the power to enter the low umbra, so a very weak Wyrm Taint would make sense, but they also are cosmologically opposed to the Wyrm. They are nearly impossible to destroy, so they would have some Weaver influence, and the abundance of energy and spiritual power that comes with them, along with their strong connection to the low umbra, could qualify them for some Wyld influence; they are a tad chaotic and live unordered, creative existences. They've been given a second chance at life, and that means most are 'Chaotic Good' at first glance.

    SO with all that in mind, how do you think Werewolves (in a WTA sense, the Mummy book skates over Werewolves by saying "they fight Apep and the servants of darkness, but they're strange so eh" basically) feel about Mummies if they run into them? Personally I can see someone rash wanting to destroy them since they were resurrected (plus the word Mummy makes you think of a zombie), while a more Occult-focused intellectual would have less of a problem with them. Thoughts?
    Last edited by 11twiggins; 07-31-2017, 08:35 AM.

  • #2
    It is indeed an interesting question.

    Mummies, though, are not quite the same of their vampire "cousins". First of all, they should not feel Wyrm-tainted, since they are creatures of Osiris' Spell of Life. And their new life as reborn mummies is not a fake imitiation of life, like the vampires' one. To a Garou that knows everything about mummies, they should be supernatural servants of an untainted death God and not be seen as enemies.
    Of course, a Werewolf rarely knows everything and maybe only the Striders have a bit of lore about them... and then again, the Striders have no ancestors to call upon for ancient knowledge, and are forever banned from their homeland, so maybe not even them have any clue beside some orally transmitted, highly unreliable legend.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Maris Streck View Post
      It is indeed an interesting question.

      Mummies, though, are not quite the same of their vampire "cousins". First of all, they should not feel Wyrm-tainted, since they are creatures of Osiris' Spell of Life. And their new life as reborn mummies is not a fake imitiation of life, like the vampires' one. To a Garou that knows everything about mummies, they should be supernatural servants of an untainted death God and not be seen as enemies.
      Of course, a Werewolf rarely knows everything and maybe only the Striders have a bit of lore about them... and then again, the Striders have no ancestors to call upon for ancient knowledge, and are forever banned from their homeland, so maybe not even them have any clue beside some orally transmitted, highly unreliable legend.
      I suppose a Mummy could take pains to educate a Werewolf, if they could gain a potential ally (or allies). After all, destroying them is very, very hard. Most Werewolves are going to stop when the apparently mortal foe is dismembered, not deposit their bodyparts in a blast furnace... (Side Note, one of the few ways to "kill" a Mummy is to put their body somewhere that constantly damages them, somewhere that they couldn't possibly survive even if they were to heal, such as a place with extreme heat, cold, no oxygen, high radiation... however their spirit will wander the Low Umbra seeking a way to free their mundane form, such as recruiting the help of a Necromancer or Medium of some kind).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Maris Streck View Post
        Of course, a Werewolf rarely knows everything and maybe only the Striders have a bit of lore about them... and then again, the Striders have no ancestors to call upon for ancient knowledge, and are forever banned from their homeland, so maybe not even them have any clue beside some orally transmitted, highly unreliable legend.
        Depending on what you take as cannon, that is only partially true. The Silent Striders have 1 ancestor, who just happens to be a mummy. The Striders are very well aware of the Mummies and there used to be text describe an alliance between them in Egypt. There are not very many mummies though and the highest concentration of them in is Egypt, so the other tribes probably have little to no experience with them. Those that have probably mistook them for sorcerers or mages. The Mummy really wouldn't feel inclined to correct the ignorant Werewolf either, as they aren't known for being very understanding.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Derzhuzad View Post

          Depending on what you take as cannon, that is only partially true. The Silent Striders have 1 ancestor, who just happens to be a mummy. The Striders are very well aware of the Mummies and there used to be text describe an alliance between them in Egypt. There are not very many mummies though and the highest concentration of them in is Egypt, so the other tribes probably have little to no experience with them. Those that have probably mistook them for sorcerers or mages. The Mummy really wouldn't feel inclined to correct the ignorant Werewolf either, as they aren't known for being very understanding.
          Good point actually, since no one would know differently if they claimed to be a mortal mage they don't really need to tell a Werewolf exactly why they're different from Risen and Kuei Jin...

          "Hey, my magics helped me find you, I'm a practitioner of Heka Sorcery, HATE the Wyrm..."

          Comment


          • #6
            Probably not "hate the wyrm" more "I am here to cleanse the dark imbalance". lol

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Derzhuzad View Post
              Probably not "hate the wyrm" more "I am here to cleanse the dark imbalance". lol
              "Oh dear that Mr. Wyrm makes me rather cross. I've half a mind to tell him how I feel about his destruction of the mortal and spiritual planes. Hurumph."

              Comment


              • #8
                How could a Garou detect a Mummy? They would probably think that they were a form of Kami, since they are devoted to Balance, which correlates with Gaia.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                  How could a Garou detect a Mummy? They would probably think that they were a form of Kami, since they are devoted to Balance, which correlates with Gaia.
                  Well a creature that is entering the Low Umbra and draws its magic from there would be Wyrm-tainted no?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

                    Well a creature that is entering the Low Umbra and draws its magic from there would be Wyrm-tainted no?
                    No, if that were so then more Black Fury and Silent Striders would smell of the wyrm. Both are known for having rites to enter the underworld. There are are also gifts that come from spirits of death & decay; Territory that belongs to the pure Wyrm. I do believe that are gifts, or there were gifts that Garou could learn from Wraiths or other spirits of the Dark Umbra. This is why I don't like Sense Wyrm as a gift. It doesn't actually help you to sense the Wyrm, it helps you to sense Corruption, the essence of the Traitic Wyrm.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Derzhuzad View Post

                      No, if that were so then more Black Fury and Silent Striders would smell of the wyrm. Both are known for having rites to enter the underworld. There are are also gifts that come from spirits of death & decay; Territory that belongs to the pure Wyrm. I do believe that are gifts, or there were gifts that Garou could learn from Wraiths or other spirits of the Dark Umbra. This is why I don't like Sense Wyrm as a gift. It doesn't actually help you to sense the Wyrm, it helps you to sense Corruption, the essence of the Traitic Wyrm.
                      I don't know why you brought the Furies into this, but even the Striders don't tend to draw their power from the Dark Umbra, since they're still quite closely connected with the Middle Umbra and getting to the Low one requires some significant effort. Not that it matters, given, as you noted, that the Dark Umbra isn't a place of taint, taint, and more taint..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I remember that in the rite that allows them to cross into the dark umbra, it originally called out the Furies as one of the the other tribes that is known for having such a rite besides the Striders. I was just making a point that not just the Striders are known for going into the dark umbra and returning untainted.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dark Umbra /=/ Low Umbra, however. Low Umbra is the realm of death. Dark Umbra is the bits of Umbra corresponding to Space in Mage, I think.

                          However I remember reading that the Fera who practise Sorcery often develop a Wyrm Taint ("cat magic" as one example)...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Low/Dark are the same places in Werewolf cosmology. Space is the High Umbra or Astral Reaches.

                            I have never read that and without context from where you read it, its hard to understand exactly how that would happen.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Derzhuzad View Post
                              Low/Dark are the same places in Werewolf cosmology. Space is the High Umbra or Astral Reaches.

                              I have never read that and without context from where you read it, its hard to understand exactly how that would happen.
                              Apologies, I thought that Werewolf and Mage had identical Umbral terminology.

                              It's in the Changing Breeds W20 book, werecats who learn Sorcery develop a Wyrm taint, and I think other Shifters do too.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X