Hunted flaw clarification question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunted flaw clarification question

I have a question regarding the Hunter flaw. Since its worth 4 pts, does this mean the hunter is a Hunter from Hunter the reckoning? Or just a normal human who believes all werewolves should be purged from the face of the earth? Since Hunter the reckoning hasn't been updated yet, Id assume its not safe to use a Hunter npc in a W20 game as it might be unbalanced but I would like to know what the community thinks. Some illumination would be great, thank you!

No. The hunter should still be powerful though as the Hunted flaw is really just a variant of the Enemy flaw. Part of the 4 points is that the hunter intends to kill you, not just oppose you at some level, but the person should more than just some standard human. "Dedicated werewolf hunter" implies he has knowledge of a werewolf's weaknesses and has the necessary training and weapons to succeed. He might not have any supernatural powers, but he might have certain "blessings", artifacts, or a type of Hedge Magic would improve his ability to go after werewolves - something that cancels out an ordinary advantage the Garou might have against him or something that gives him an advantage.

But someone who knows what that character is, and knows he must use silver weapons to kill him, is already a fairly dangerous foe especially as the flaw implies the hunter will select the time and place to fight.

Comment

Curious do I hav to buy off the flaw, or will it keep generating new hunters.

heard in the first edition Exaalted players guide, "Not every chronicle will benefit, from the Drama it could create" concerning the Flaw "known anathema"

while were discussing Werewolf, I think its pertinent.

Comment

That depends on the ST. If a Flaw no longer applies, STs usually mandate the player buys it off. The ST may decide you need to buy it off immediately, or he may give you the option of deciding when to do it. Or he may indeed create new hunters who fill that role. But that is something the player and ST must discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by RyuDraconis View Post
          I have a question regarding the Hunter flaw. Since its worth 4 pts, does this mean the hunter is a Hunter from Hunter the reckoning? Or just a normal human who believes all werewolves should be purged from the face of the earth? Since Hunter the reckoning hasn't been updated yet, Id assume its not safe to use a Hunter npc in a W20 game as it might be unbalanced but I would like to know what the community thinks. Some illumination would be great, thank you!
          I think that the Reckoning is not in effect anymore in the current storyline (W20), but I'm not sure. Anyway no, it's not supposed to be imbued or, at least, not necessarily.
          Still, it's a 4 points flaw, so it's supposed to be HEAVY. Just for the sake of comparison, at 3 flaw points we have "a group of supernaturally potent werewolf hunters who have tagged you as a specific target", so this is supposed to be more. Maybe the whole Society of Leopold is against you, and just as you kill one of their hunters there's another popping up; maybe it's a Mage or a cyborg from the Technocracy, or maybe again a very experienced family of hunters with numina and supernatural protection from spirits.

You can make it whatever you want, just make it formidable: besting him once in combat should not be enough to remove the threat, and maybe no amount of victories will.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
            Or he may indeed create new hunters who fill that role.
            The first hunter leaves an "In case something happens to me..." envelope containing all the werewolf-related information in the hands of his best friend, who then does the same with his adult son...and so on, resulting in there always being an informed and motivated hunter to menace the character.
            Though at some point in the chain of left envelopes and pen drives the current hunter might become demoralized.

Originally posted by Maris Streck View Post
            Still, it's a 4 points flaw, so it's supposed to be HEAVY.
            One could use the hunter groups from CoD's Hunter: The Vigil.

Comment

Ok, great answers thank you very much. I did check the enemies section of W20 and Imbued are mentioned there, does that mean they can still be the Hunter? I know its not been 20 years yet, and we might not get a HoR 20th anniv book until then, but the fact the sourcebook mentioned Imbued should mean they're still relevant in W20's WoD.

Comment

Fair enough

oh, point?

thoughts on what Hunter the Reckoning, Anniversary will look .like?

Comment

The point with the Recoking is that, lore wise, some higher power released heroic souls to imbue mortals as a supernatural countermeasure to the end of times. Somewhere it has been written that it was an answer to the Demons' escape from Hell, but "demon: the fallen" was published later than HtR, so...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that with no more Avatar storm, no more Sixth Maelstrom and an uncertain situation for the demons there might not even be ground for imbued hunters anymore. I still expect they'll find some workaround to publish the 20th supplement, since it's what fans are expecting, but my main question about the Hunters would be "why are they still around?" Perhaps some hunter survived from 20 years ago, but there should be a strong reason to justify new imbuings.

Also, I'd really like a layout that won't cause me headache.
                  Last edited by Maris Streck; 09-25-2017, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X