No announcement yet.

WHAT I LEARNED FROM RAGE ACROSS NEW YORK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then we're given a brief description of Faeries in the Catskills. To use modern Changeling speak, there is a Freehold here that the Garou could use to build a caern, but the Fae won't let them. The Fae are infighting amongst themselves though. The war between the “Smooths” and the “Mottleds” would best describe conflict between the Sidhe (royalists) and other Kiths (commoners). The two individuals described in this section would probably be an Unseelie Pooka and Knocker. There is a small reference to the Rip Van Winkle story, and this should have been developed more as it would have strengthened the Fae motif and been strongly identified with colonial New York to make the setting less generic.

Since the Changeling game (still called Faerie at this point) was several years away, this was just an early attempt at crossover to establish the idea of a larger World of Darkness in the setting. Unfortunately, this isn't like the mention of two Nosferatu children dealing with ghosts in Chicago By Night. That could easily be ignored, and if the ST did establish it, then the PCs themselves didn't interact with ghosts themselves meant the ST could minimize their involvement and not actually need access to Wraith.

However, the presence of Faeries in the Catskills is a big deal because the Garou would want this caern. And the sourcebook needs to think how this may impact PCs who have Stag as a totem. Much more information needs to be given here to assist the ST in utilizing this. Way too much is left undone and given to the ST to do. There should be more of a toolkit here to help STs run this. Instead each individual ST has to figure out everything themselves which is a lot of work. So what could be a very fun spot in the setting will likely be ignored by the vast majority of STs who don't want to invest the time and effort in filling this very big role.

So this is an interesting idea, but way too undeveloped. It dumps way too much work onto the ST, which is not the reason someone buys a setting sourcebook.

Comment

We then have a small section on the Black Spiral Dancers (BSD). There is a hidden Pit in the North Country Protectorate with 17 BSDs there and a large pack (9 BSDs) in NYC's sewers. Interestingly, both the Pit and sewer pack have Wyrm tainted Garou who are not BSDs. Presumably they will walk the spiral at some point.

It's unclear if the non-BSDs are known to be Wyrm tainted by the Gaian Garou although I presume so, and they are not living at the actual septs. (But some might be secret Wyrm worshippers thought to be upstanding Garou at certain septs.) This could be a very good plot point for the setting if we were given their names and told the local septs have pronounced judgment against them and penalty is death. This is the kind of thing PCs love as hooks (now that I think about, my own chronicle should probably have a list of NPC Garou who have been exiled, condemned to death but escaped, or wanted for punishment).

It seems amazing to me that so little was included on the Dancers given their prominence in later publications. It's completely up to the ST to develop them and how they might be used in the chronicle. I actually like this as I feel later sourcebooks over-emphasized the BSDs as antagonists. Despite the problems I have with the Seventh Generation as written, I do like that the sourcebook uses a unique villain as its primary antagonist.

Still I would have liked some effort put into the BSD packs because there is already so much a ST needs to do to fill in the gaps in the sourcebook. (At the same time, the depiction of BSDs during early first edition leaves a lot to be desired, but that is a separate complaint).

Comment

Next is a two page section on vampires. We get the general Sabbat versus Manhattan Camarilla description that will be the status quo for Vampire in New York City for the next decade. What is more interesting is the extensive Garou involvement with the city's vampires.

The Fianna have relationships with some very high Humanity Toreador in the city, presumably Manhattan Camarilla members involved in the art scene. I am assuming this is more performance oriented than visual arts, but this is still very surprising unlike some of the other dealings.

Bone Gnawers have extensive dealings with the Nosferatu. This will later be established as the Rat Finks camp. Likely their dealings are with both Camarilla and Sabbat Nosferatu, but for obvious reasons the Bone Gnawers must have more involvement with the Sabbat in New York. Although not part of this sourcebook, the Player's Guide to the Sabbat published the same year as RANY explicitly states that the tribe is a known ally of certain Sabbat packs. That has to be a reference to New York (if it is not, it indicates a much more pervasive problem within the tribe which is also believable given the descriptions in RANY). The tribe and these certain packs work together against common enemies.

Shadow Lords have an alliance with the Giovanni in regards to organized crime. Tribal leadership does not officially sanction it, but this is an NPC's primary mission to subvert various Wyrm organizations from within. In my own games, rather than keept his general, I make the Putanesca (one of the Giovanni mortal families) one of the Five Families of New York. I wonder if this is the first mention of the Giovanni's involvement with crime? If so, it is an important step to transforming the clan from modern day Borgias into Mafia thugs in popular perception.

Furthermore, there are tons of agreements with the Sabbat. The Sept of the Green has a non-aggression with the vampires along the lines of “don't hunt in Central Park and we'll leave you alone.” But other parts in the book mention individual Garou allying/dealing with the Sabbat in secret, so there are a lot of shady, secret deals here. This might be a good angle for secret support of the man-eaters so that the ST can protect them for a while in case the PCs start sniffing.

This is another thing future books will downplay extensively, and many players will end up rejecting the idea that Garou would have any dealings with vampires. However, at least here there is a sense of moral exhaustion among the Garou in the city – vampires are like cockroaches in that no matter how many you kill, they keep coming back. As a result, many Garou with interests in the city have begun to make various accommodations with them so that they can minimize a useless conflict and concentrate on greater threats.

PCs wanting obvious heroic characters and not wanting to make moral compromises with Wyrm minions is natural, but this sourcebook implies an urban sept is not the place for that kind of idealism. A more rural sept would be better for such PCs. And this reason is why the Urrah are held in disdain.

Comment

While there are various mentions of Pentex throughout the book, there is no section for it by itself. This is a huge error. Corporate antagonists should have been fleshed out more.

Even a few sentences detailing various offices or factories located in NYC and elsewhere in New York would have been good. Of course, this is also something an ST could insert on his own. But it is yet another way the sourcebook disappoints as it fails to provide guidance and ideas for the setting which is the entire reason why someone would purchase this book.

Comment

4. Encounters

Next is a 12 page section of encounters which is mainly one huge campaign involving the Seventh Generation. There is one page of four other plot hooks which are poorly written - including a ridiculous story where some fomori will contaminate the Statue of Liberty to poison all the tourists who visit there. This is like a twelve year old's idea of a plot. The other plots are very obvious from the setting. The rest of the pages are one long railroad against the Seventh Generation with various set pieces.

This is where the book completely fails. The pages here would have been much better spent detailing other anatagonists, showing some sept/packs charts, and showing a much greater list of general ideas for encounters (both in the city and in the countryside) to jumpstart people thinking of hooks.

Oh, and at least some mention of threats in the other major cities in New York like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany.

There are a lot of interesting things in the sourcebook, and it is disappointing how much the Seventh Generation has hijacked it. A quarter of the book is about the cult or a campaign using it. I think this page count would have been better devoted to exploring other antagonists and providing a different tent pole for the chronicle. Chicago By Night could be used without involving the PCs into the conflict between the two methusalehs. I've seen many STs avoid that entirely and still make extensive use out of the book. There is a much larger hole here if the ST doesn't use the Seventh Generation.

Comment

And that's it. The book is done. RANY has a lot of good points about it, but suffers because its main antagonist doesn't really work; it wastes too much space which could have been better spent developing other areas; and it fails to properly develop some of the gems hidden inside it.

The Good
              • Lots of interpersonal conflict between Garou.
              • Many interesting Garou NPCs.
              • Good breakdown of Protectorates and Septs.
              • Some of the ideas in the Seventh Generation section.
              The Bad
              • A bad main antagonist for multiple reasons.
              • Lack of other developed plot seeds.
              • Needs more antagonists, especially those outside New York City so if players are in one of the wilderness caerns, they can stay there.
              The Ugly (Could Have Been Done Better)
              • No Sept and Pack charts that detail rivalries and relationships similar to Coterie Charts in vampire.
              • Some listing and description of kinfolk communities would be neat. Surely there are some small (fictional) towns where the Get of Fenris in the Adirondacks, or Uktena near Niagara are from?
              Of other note, there is no mention of the NPCs who would later become important to the metaplot. There is no mention of Lord Albrecht, Mari Cabrah, or Evan Heals the Past. Later supplements though would establish they were the ones who fought and defeated the Seventh Generation. That always bothered me because PCs who actually played through this and had their PCs do these actions would always exist uneasily with the metaplot. I don't like these kind of invalidations which is why I usually ignore the metaplot and its characters entirely. They just seem too much like GMPCs.

Although we've read the entire book, we're not done yet. The New York setting is mentioned in several other source materials, and we're going to go over them as well. In particular, the description of the Central Park sept in the original corebooks. But before I do, this is a good place for a small break and open things up for comments.

Comment

Liking this a lot.

I think the Seventh Generation was heavily miscast. I like that it was actually made because child trafficking IS a problem, but it was in the wrong game and wrongly written.

From what I've read through the older novellas and from the 1st ed, I think the use of the city was meant to give the chance for young werewolves to escape the routine of their Septs. Cities being very punk and gritty enough to apparently allow a crinos brawl.

As for Alby, Mari and Evan, Evan came around only duringg the 2nd ed (intro comic). Alby was supposed to kill Mari (he gutted her in the 'comic') and I think he just wasn't really fully a character then. As for Mari's baffling markings, who knows.

My gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
                  I think the Seventh Generation was heavily miscast. I like that it was actually made because child trafficking IS a problem, but it was in the wrong game and wrongly written.

There are several premises concerning the Seventh Generation that I actually like even while disliking it as a whole. If I ran a chronicle using the book, here are the changes I'd do in terms of antagonists.

1) A much smaller sex trafficking Wyrm cult based out of New York and being a major player in the world sex trafficking trade would be a good foe. Just not as central to the chronicle because there will be players alienated by the squick feeling who choose to avoid it. Keep and combine the medical and snatcher castes and remove the others. Make it much more about the occult (all these bizarre sex acts and sacrifices power their occult rituals), and tie it into appropriate locations and groups in NYC.

2) Build a business oriented Wyrm faction around Van Gelding who finances various businesses from the world's financial capital. He would be both a rival and ally to PENTEX. And he could be a tentpole in a NY chronicle devoted to monkeywrenching, industrial pollution, and corporate intrigue.

3) The concept of a long lasting Wyrm cult that dates to the Stone Age which came over from Europe in order to fight the Pure Ones is a strong one. That could be part of Van Gelding's organization, but personally I'm too attached to the idea Van Gelding serves Vorus, Urge Wyrm of Greed. I am more inclined to create a third group to serve as the major tentpole. I haven't given sufficient thought of the hallmarks of this group, but something related to disease, whether by infectious agents or addiction to drugs and alcohol, would tie a lot of things together. It would include the epidemic diseases which wiped out a lot of the native population, issues like alcoholism in the Indian community today, drugs in the inner cities, and the AIDS epidemic. You could even make it important to the cult to increase trade and diminish borders of today's modern world because that would enable a future pandemic since the modern world's interconnectedness presents an opportunity for spread of disease. It would also indicate why the cult hated the original Gaian shamanic healers, since one of their major roles was to cure disease.

Then I think there are other opportunities availability for low grade foes that could be used as pawns or represent the lesser, but prevalent evils in addition to the above long term/tentpole type antagonists.

1) In NYC city itself, you could have several savage street gangs under the influence of mid level Bane jagglings (in my own chronicles, I often create a separate NPC list just for the local spirits and Banes). You can have local corrupt politicians secretly working with them in order to keep people dependent on them. These would be low level foes that low ranked Garou could go over with the added complication of protecting the Veil.

2) Away from human foes, NYC is filled with various urban legends from albino alligators and hordes of rats in the city, and horror movie concepts like CHUDs. I was expecting to see creatures and concepts like this in the book, but didn't.

3) Love Canal is in New York state, and I was shocked that was never referenced as a major environmental disaster. The book could have had a list of six or so generic superfund type sites and what was in them for Garou to fight while giving recommendations of where to place them in the city or elsewhere in the state. That would have served as templates for STs to create their own unique site.

4) The book set up a situation where organized crime is being divided between various werewolf tribes and vampires. Let's have more on that. We're told in the book that Shadow Lords and Giovanni are involved, but other sources also point us towards the Glass Walkers and other vampire clans. A little more detail and hooks on how to use the crime families in the game would be good.

Doing this would require a major rewrite of a quarter or third of the book, but everything else could be kept as is, and the end result would be a much stronger sourcebook.

Comment

Gotta say, I am really enjoying the review as you lay it out, Black Fox, and I like your suggestions for improvement. There is a lot of potential in the compromises made by the NYC Garou, especially the Gnawer's dubious liaisons with the vampires.

I haven't said much, but I am rectifying that now, hah!

If you don't mind, I had some time to kill, and I threw together some ideas for your third proposed Wyrm cult, tentatively called the Panaceans. The act of transmission and the suffering that follows is seen as holy to these warped souls, and the precise nature of the disease is of tertiary concern. The patron of this group might have once been worshiped as a demon of plague, or maybe it is a deranged spirit-child of Rat that fell to the Wyrm long ago (or maybe both). In any case, the tainted entity survives the only way it knows how- by propagating illness, addiction, and misery. Bloated by past success, it has grown lax in the modern era... but this is swiftly changing. The latest incarnation of the cult has a small but pervasive presence across the boroughs, its withered fingers dipping into waste disposal services, hospitals, water sanitation and the port authority. NYC has grown worse for their efforts, but the cult is riven by internal squabbles.

There are two main wings: the first wishes to foster already existing diseases or drug abuse problems. These bitter souls dream of transforming the city into hub of corruption that will spread organically, tainting the entire region for decades to come. This may involve an elitist or hyper-darwinian mindset, where the poor and weak are winnowed by lifespan destroying addiction or tainted foodstuffs and water. This is how they propose to 'cure' society's ills. These men and women are insidious, subtle and calculating.

In opposition to this plodding, conservative approach are the radicals. These fanatics believe their fellows' plan is slow and incapable of circumventing modern medical advancement. This group's primary focus is on discovering or developing a super-flu or drug-resistant STD that they can use to usher in a pandemic. This is claimed as the eponymous 'panacea' from which the cabal derives its name; it is through this modern plague that the earth will be cleansed of humanity. Their primary motivation is spiritual- perhaps they are on the verge of become Fomori, and no longer see themselves as human. Perhaps the patron spirit promises to gift its children immunity to the apocalyptic disease, and they will rule the blighted earth as all others perish in agony. In any case, these are the 'overt' threat. Brash, visionary, and totally committed, this wing is likely to run afoul of attentive Garou.

Related idea: media playing a role in the cult's plans. It seems like every time someone contracts ebola or dies of avian flu, we the public are inundated by shrill headlines and breathless reporters. In the WoD, the cult uses similar tactics to hype exotic but largely inconsequential infections, all while working on spreading mundane but deadly diseases that fail to catch the public eye. Perhaps even the viewers' idle fears of infection feed the cult's corrupt patron, fattening on the spreading paranoia.
                    Last edited by The Laughing Stranger; 11-15-2017, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Some interesting ideas there. I imagine the disease cult recruits members by the idea of "We serve the disease plague demon so that we are immune to disease." They gain immunity or cures, but in return have to spread it. There might be some kind of long term eschatological goal of the cult (as opposed to its Bane Patron which just wants to sicken the world) to create some kind of transhuman experience that elevates cult members to a new kind of species, but that can only happen at the price of killing off most of humanity. This transformation is even a result of being infected with the disease, but surviving in a new "mutated" form even though most people just die from it.

I think there's a lot of ideas that can work.

The main strength is that while providing lots of opportunities for games set in today, you can definitely trace the cult back to issues in the past and incorporate the colonial and Indian history and can reveal to the PCs at appropriate points during the game that the Garou of the area have been fighting this same cult for centuries without even knowing it (the Pure Ones were attacked by them when their people died from European disease, diseases among the colonists and how Washington inoculated the Continental Army, the problem of alcoholism in both Indian and white societies and therefore kinfolk in many tribes, cholera epidemics in American cities before public health improved, and later typhoid, polio, Spanish flu, and AIDs. There could be great historical battles in the Umbra by Garou against disease Banes so they could contain the disease,a nd have all sorts of strange fomori caused by rare variants of certain diseases. That would be a mystery worth solving!

Comment

Central Park in the Werewolf: the Apocalypse corebook (both first and second edition)

The Sept of the Green is hardly described in RANY. To learn more, we need to visit the first and second edition corebooks which include the details of that sept.

The caern is a level 3 caern which is far more powerful than I would have thought Central Park would be. While obviously important to the city and beloved by its inhabitants, level three seems very strong to me. I would have thought a level one or two at best. That in comparison Niagara Falls is only a 1 (of Gnosis) compared to Central Park's 3 (of Fellowship in the corebook, but RANY says its Survival) seems weird. But I guess the game is telling us that Central Park is much better aligned to the concept of Fellowship (although definitely not Survival) than Niagara is to Gnosis. I want to note in the first edition corebook, Caern Type is not even mentioned.

There are some weird and interesting things about the caern (which is good). We're told the caern was originally dedicated to the Wyld, but that the Weaver reduced its power. The caern's original founders, the Silver Fangs, abandoned it, and the Bone Gnawers took it over during the Great Depression. They began to take better care of the caern, and one of their Theurges summoned a second totem and the caern survived.

This is a very dynamic story and shows a lot of changes that can happen to a caern. Later depictions of caerns, in my opinion, would make them appear much more static. If I interpret this section correctly, the purpose of the caern actually changed during the sept leadership turnover and arrival of the second totem.

The caern description also gives us something far too few caern descriptions do – what powers are gained when the caern's power is activated. We learn that points can be added to three Abilities – Expression, Performance, or Empathy.

Since the caern is a caern of Fellowship (where Garou can set aside their differences and embrace their unity), it is an important gathering place for regional moots. So despite the importance of the Hand of Gaia sept due to its caern rank, we can expect any regional moots to happen here. It is good neutral ground. It could even be used by Garou more distant since New York City is a massive transportation hub. Thus even if PCs have a different home sept in RANY, there are plenty of excuses to come here for a visit. They could come here to meet, or to escort someone to meet, any number of other visitors or dignitaries. It doesn't even need to be someone from the sept!

There's actually a lot of information crammed into the relatively small description of the Central Park caern, so this is going to be explored in several posts.

Comment

Continuing with the corebook description of the sept. We also learn an interesting bit of Garou lore. The caern's second totem, the Great White Mouse, has an interesting history relevant to the Garou. Mouse was once a “minor totem of the Garou,” but the followers of Mouse were slain by the Bone Gnawers after that tribe formed! Now either Mouse was once a fairly popular pack totem of Garou, or there was some kind of proto-tribe competing in the same niche as the Children of Rat who became dominant and wiped out their rivals. It is interesting to know that the earliest Bone Gnawers killed their rivals for the spot of the omega of the Garou Nation. I would have thought this would be important in their tribebooks, but I don't believe it was ever followed up.

The caern itself has a lot of interesting curiosities. There is a Chimare (dream domain in the umbra) around Turtle Pond. There is a sept fetish, the Ever Meal (a garbage can which replace the contents of a food or drink container once with quality equivalent to a fast food meal). Underneath the frozen ice of Wollman Rink is a lair of the Wyrm (a Blight) where three powerful Banes (the Dark Trinity) reside. Needless to say, the presence of such evil within the bawn of the caern is fairly unusual in depictions of caerns, although I guess we can say the Blight is so far underneath the bawn that it is not actually part of the caern. The Dark Trinity is new to Second Edition. It isn't mention in first edition corebook of Werewolf.

Cleopatra's Needle, an Egyptian obelisk transported to the park, has something strange underneath it – a different Silent Strider messenger visits every three months to wait by it during an afternoon, and the tribe is allowed to perform undisturbed rituals around it in the middle of the night. However, no one outside that tribe's upper leadership knows why – even the people who perform these rituals don't know why they are doing them. This really isn't explained, and I expect the reason it is here is simply to provide an excuse for why a Silent Strider PC would first appear at the sept. It does provide a hook for a creative ST, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done.

In the description of the Umbra, it is mentioned that a Shadow Lord of the sept has banes constantly around him like a cloud of darkness trying to corrupt him, but who keep failing. Nevertheless, this is a kind of ambiguity we don't see in later products. I don't imagine many Garou would be at ease with this. I wonder if one of the reasons this Shadow Lord is at the Sept of the Green is that this is something the Bone Gnawers will tolerate, but other septs would not.

In terms of crossover, it is mentioned that the Fianna who control Belvedere Castle have a guest room for special visitors. In the previous year alone that has included two faeries, a ghost, and three Dreamspeaker mages.

We learn one of the sept rules is to forbid Garou from wandering freely in lupus form. I expect that hispo is likewise forbidden unless authorized. Elsewhere we are told Crinos is forbbiden as well.

A lot of the information on the sept is presented very economically. I wish the caerns in RANY had received some details like this.

Comment

The history section is very interesting. We learn that there have been less than twenty “imperial moots” in history and one of them was in New York to dedicate this caern to halt the expansion of New York City in 1855. What an imperial moot is never explained, but I assume it is a a Concolation of all tribes sponsored by a Silver Fang king – perhaps one who has the Silver Crown although I don't believe the crown existed canonically when this was published.

However, despite overseeing the construction of Central Park for the next twenty years, the Silver Fangs found themselves confused and unready to keep a caern dedicated to the Wyld surrounded by so much Weaver. The totem was neglected. Eventually the Bone Gnawers took control of the caern and revived it. I think for all practical purposes, we could say the caern “died” right before the Bone Gnawers recovered Mouse and revived the caern.

The entire history really shows the hubris and arrogance of the Silver Fangs. It's the only thing I can think of to explain why such an important moot was held in the first place and then the project more or less abandoned in less than a century. The only thing that makes sense to me is that perhaps the king of House Wyrmfoe at the time thought it'd be possible to create a powerful caern his House could control and he had kinfolk in Manhattan. If the caern was in fact dying, this should have been very scandalous and damaging to the Silver Fangs, especially House Wyrmfoe, but like many things teased out of the setting this is not developed. One might assume House Wyrmfoe was originally based out of New York City before leaving for Vermont around the turn of the century.

I think this also brings up a subtle point about caern management. Mechanically, proper care of a caern is simple. You donate Gnosis and hold moots every month to do so. But there seems to be more to it than that. Too often, I feel STs and players rely on pure mechanics. On that basis alone, there is no reason for the caern to die. It is much more like that the mechanics underline something much more esoteric. I don't believe the Silver Fangs would have neglected giving the caern Gnosis mechanically. It's more likely that the means (usually just flavor text during the game) of how they donated spiritual power was not something the Silver Fangs were especially good at. That prevented the transference of Gnosis which is something games assumes just happens. I think this approach gives the ST more opportunity for creating story and plot, but at the risk of disturbing those players much more literal or mechanically oriented. But it's the only way I can see how this worked.

It is explicitly said that most caerns are dominated by one or two tribes, and that the Sept of the Green is unusual. Now the description says “dominated” not populated, so there is room for multitribal septs even elsewhere, but politically most septs are controlled by one or two tribes at most. We'll see this in RANY where the Hand of Gaia is controlled by Black Furies and Children of Gaia, Falling Water by the Uktena and Fianna, and the Sentinel controlled by the Get of Fenris with another Ottawa caern controlled by the Wendigo. The Bone Gnawers definitely have the numbers here (RANY says they only outnumber the Glass Walkers 49-40, but in terms of governance this is clearly influenced by the Bone Gnawers and not Glass Walkers), but we're lead to believe that the Bone Gnawers don't monopolize political power and allow everyone their say.

Comment

The NPCs cover the general leadership of the caern. As is very common with Werewolf products, we are given various characters who interact regularly with humans despite having Rage scores far higher than they should given the Curse. This is something that always irritates me.

Mother Larissa, a Bone Gnawer Theurge, is sept leader. Compared to many World of Darkness NPCs, she is not overpowered with reasonable stats. She has high Empathy, Expression and Streetwise which would be useful leadership tools. She also has Rage 5 and the Curse should be affecting almost two-thirds of the people in the park. A Bag Lady who scares people like that is one who is going to attract the cops. She won't be attracting humans who supposedly "enjoy her strange stories". Strangely she is also given Resources 1 despite Character Creation prohibiting it. She is the last surviving Bone Gnawer who was there when the tribe took over the caern in the 1930s.

She is assisted by Spotlight, a Red Talon Ahroun as caern warder. Spotlight is the most interesting of the characters simply because he does not belong. He was already an active Garou when he was captured by humans (by gas grenades) and taken to be in the Central Park Zoo. His background implies he just couldn't figure out how to leave and thus stays behind because well, the caern needs protecting by someone and he doesn't trust anything else. Since a Moon Bridge could easily get him out, it seems to me that the real reason is absolute shame by how he was caught and he can't tolerate his old sept mates mocking him terribly for being captured in the first place. I can't imagine this character not having huge psychological issues. Presumably he knows Slashes-the-Heart-of-the-Wyrm and formerly belonged to his pack. He has an extraordinary amount of Rage at 8. Although he can control it with his Willpower 9, the Curse will affect 98% of people. I imagine Spotlight spends most of his time in the Penumbra.

Simon Gentle is a Glass Walker philodox who is “public relations”. This isn't explained, but he seems to be the guy responsible for relations for outside the sept which would make him the Gatekeeper. Or perhaps it is an entirely new position related to improving the image of the park among humans. I lean to the latter explanation although his Rage 5 would make him poor at that. It may be that he is responsible for maintaining the Veil which would make him an extremely important leader in the sept.

We have two loner characters of low rank (a Bone Gnawer metis ragabash and a Stargazer galliard) likely intended for the PCs to interact with. The metis is a runt. He is supposed to be annoying to the sept, but in my experience it is these kind of NPCs which PCs often grow fond of since they have distinctive personalities and provide comic relief. Even though he is metis, it is said he changed to lupus soon after birth and rank with a pack of feral dogs. (Having newborn metis change to another form instinctively will be a device, or perhaps cheat, the game used in the early era.) The main role of the Stargazer is probably to be a friend and ally of the PCs who help them integrate into the sept. Once again, both characters have higher Rage than expected. The Bone Gnawer has 3 and Stargazer 7 (with a Willpower of only 6!).

Lastly, we have a Shadow Lord, Zachary Ellison, who is organizing a conspiracy to take control of the caern (same guy the banes are surrounding in the umbra). He has also made an alliance with Spotlight. So the ST has a ready plot for this guy to seize the sept in a coup (likely killing Mother Larissa and lots of her Bone Gnawer allies). There are presumably lots of other Garou OK with this as it is said his support is growing. Despite being Philodox, he has only bought his Rage up to 4 which already shows he has a better understanding of life in Central Park than any other character.

Given the high Rage here, I imagine Central Park has a terrible reputation in the World of Darkness. Who could possibly feel safe, especially at night? This would be more appropriate in 1992 than it would be today.

They are an acceptable group of NPCs, but some of their stats should be adjusted down. But in terms of dynamics, there are some good conflicts here especially once you combined them with RANY.

Comment

With the Rage issue, I get the feeling a lot of writers have over the years forgotten about the Curse when statting these garou. Rage means extra actions, so it shows how quickly these guys could take down an uppity cliath.

My gallery.

Comment

Working...
                                X