Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recharging a Caern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recharging a Caern

    I know the Garou have a way of recharging a caern but what are other ways of doing that? Has anything changed with the new 20 anniversary editions?


    Shadows of London: a V20 game set in the Victoria Age. Watch us live at 6pm AZ time (GMT -7) on Sunday nights @ http://twitch.tv/lenduran/

  • #2
    Well a Moot is the typical way, that and there's a couple of other Rites (like Caern Creation).

    Comment


    • #3
      Is that the only way by the books? I thought that maybe Mages or possibly Sorcerers could possibly do it?


      Shadows of London: a V20 game set in the Victoria Age. Watch us live at 6pm AZ time (GMT -7) on Sunday nights @ http://twitch.tv/lenduran/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sycophant View Post
        Is that the only way by the books? I thought that maybe Mages or possibly Sorcerers could possibly do it?
        Provided that crossover is allowed, Mage? Maybe. Sorcerer? I seriously doubt it as their powers tend to be on the low end of the spectrum.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm wondering if blood magic of some kind could. I know that the books state that Ogham is a primitive form of blood magic and they can use it to pull gnosis (not explicitly stated but mechanics wise seems that way) from a caern/node but seems odd that nothing could be done to return it. Like some blood sacrifice or ritual or something.


          Shadows of London: a V20 game set in the Victoria Age. Watch us live at 6pm AZ time (GMT -7) on Sunday nights @ http://twitch.tv/lenduran/

          Comment


          • #6
            Why would they? What eould be their gain as it is alreasy a renewable source? Most forms of Blood Magic are aimed at increasing your Power, not nurturing the world around you and most Blood Mage are out there to gain as much Power for as little as cost as possible.

            Same goes for Mage too, who have way to harvest Tass/Quintessence from Caern, Garou/Changeling, etc. since they are renewable sources of Power, will technically they might be able to recharge them why was Power to gain Power?

            Comment


            • #7
              It isn't a renewable resource, not in the sense of readily reusable. It normally takes a long time for it to eventually recharge unless there are other ways of doing so, hence the question. I'm not really concerned with why in so much as I'm curious if there are other ways.

              But from the sound of things I'll probably just have to house rule it, which isn't a big deal but I'd prefer to keep within published rules if possible.


              Shadows of London: a V20 game set in the Victoria Age. Watch us live at 6pm AZ time (GMT -7) on Sunday nights @ http://twitch.tv/lenduran/

              Comment


              • #8
                The only way I can think of outside of the Moot and the Rites involved with that (and the Rite of Caern Building which is making a brand new one) is a Mage with Prime 4/5 and if you want a caern instead of a Node, Spirit 4/5 too. Blood magic is not going to be recharging a Caern as it is inherently anti-Gaian. But the Garou just have the Moot and maybe one or too very rare options, (I think there might be a Rank 5 CoG gift)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sycophant View Post
                  I know the Garou have a way of recharging a caern but what are other ways of doing that? Has anything changed with the new 20 anniversary editions?
                  I think that True Mages could do it - probably only the ones whose Paradigm would allow for this. Dreamspeakers might be the ones most able to do so; and the ones most knowledgeable about it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                    I think that True Mages could do it - probably only the ones whose Paradigm would allow for this. Dreamspeakers might be the ones most able to do so; and the ones most knowledgeable about it.
                    Even the Dreamspeakers don't match up well enough, since it remains a part of Mage, which is absolutely antithetical to Werewolf in terms of cosmology and approach. The mages would be able to do it if they weren't what they were, but then they wouldn't have any of the powers that allowed them to do it... truly, that is a paradox! (^VVVVV^)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Moirdryd View Post
                      ...Blood magic is not going to be recharging a Caern as it is inherently anti-Gaian...
                      Although the Garou have the Rite of Feeding The Land. Although it does not recharge the Caern with Gnosis, it is somewhat similar. And at any rate, the fact that Gaian spirits empower it strongly augurs that not all blood magic is antithetical to Gaia.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Uniform Two Six View Post
                        And at any rate, the fact that Gaian spirits empower it strongly augurs that not all blood magic is antithetical to Gaia.
                        That was kind of my thought but I totally understood why it was something barely even touched on (gnosis/caerns being the big focal point of Werewolf and cities being for Vampires). But with all of the Dark Ages books and pro-pagan paths and rituals coming out it wouldn't hurt to ask. Even if it was solely from a Mage perspective or Mummy or whatever. WW always seemed like they wanted cross over but to me didn't do a good job of enabling it.
                        Definitely strong arguments about Garou being the only ones really but if you don't ask the question you won't know


                        Shadows of London: a V20 game set in the Victoria Age. Watch us live at 6pm AZ time (GMT -7) on Sunday nights @ http://twitch.tv/lenduran/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well there is Blood Magic (Thaumaturgy, Kauldonic Sorcery, Assamite Sorcery, Abyssal Mysticism and so forth) and there is blood magic being part of plenty of Garou rituals, practices to draw the attention of the old gods and otherwise acting as Mage foci (typically Verbana).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Uniform Two Six View Post
                            Although the Garou have the Rite of Feeding The Land. Although it does not recharge the Caern with Gnosis, it is somewhat similar. And at any rate, the fact that Gaian spirits empower it strongly augurs that not all blood magic is antithetical to Gaia.
                            The default assumption of the Dying Cubs rites is that Gaian spirits don't empower them, though the text describing them stops way before it gets anywhere close to labeling them as outright Wyrm-given.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Saur Ops Specialist View Post

                              The default assumption of the Dying Cubs rites is that Gaian spirits don't empower them...
                              Yeah, but something has to (or it wouldn't be a Rite). So unless these idiots are summoning Banes in their sept's caern... it's probably a Gaian spirit. Remember that some Gaian spirits are decidedly NOT nice (Wendigo, Grandfather Thunder, and Griffon come to mind but even Ice Haunters -- who hunt Homid Garou for food from time to time -- are still Gaian spirits).


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X