PENTEX: Research & Inspiration Company by Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All ill say is

Watch HBO's Chernobyl... its horrible yet fascinating, very good inspiration for Pentex and its energy deparments, specially with all the human error going around

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

• So, I've been busy for a while, but still working on stuff for this thread. I'm hoping to have some stuff about the motorcycle industry and trucking/shipping. Also planning on something about social media, hopefully.

Meanwhile, please enjoy this article about the issue of metadata in online music sales, and how it provides an easy and profitable way for music companies to potentially rip off their artists, songwriters, and even other publishers/producers, to the tune of billions of dollars.

Added: I'm also taking requests for additional industries and businesses. I may also throw in some stuff about cults at some points (as a few of the groups/organizations in Freak Legion and elsewhere are more cults than companies).
      Last edited by No One of Consequence; 06-03-2019, 11:32 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

• I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but where I am in East Tennessee is the corporate headquarters and original plant for my employer, Eastman Chemical Company. If someone doesn't beat me to it in expanding upon them, in my opinion they are the perfect PENTEX subsidiary for a chronicle. They were responsible for managing the Y-12 complex in Oak Ridge, where they produced enriched uranium for the Manhattan project, as well as all of the creative things a Storyteller can do with a massive chemical manufacturing company. I am currently using Kingsport and the surrounding area for a chronicle of my own, which is especially fun for my players and I since we all live here.

Comment

• Sigh. I swear I will have something new soon.

Meanwhile, a few odds and ends for people to digest:

The Impossible Burger may not be as healthy - or eco-friendly - as advertised. Personally, I still think O'Tolley's answer to this is the Soylent Green Burger.

A look at how the anti-vaccination conspiracy was able to become so wide spread so quickly. (Personally, I've always felt that the most Magadon would do with vaccines is keep the good ones for themselves and the elites, while distributing less than effective cheep ones to the hoi polloi.)

The 50th anniversary of the Cuyahoga River fire in Cleveland, including a big of back story and how the river is doing today. (The side bit about Chicago's "Bubbly Creek" is especially interesting as a historical Rage Across Chicago/Chicago by Night plot hook.)

An interesting article about First Nations and the oil industry in Alberta.

Sadly, the story that cellphones are causing kids to grow horns is not true. Because that would've been a lot of fun for PENTEX cellphones.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

• Could you please do Special Projects Division? i would be thrilled. For the meat industry grab a copy of Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, Also this article by Mother Jones, on the effect of inhaling aerosolized calf brains. Kuru may make a comeback. There is also Deadly Feasts: the Prion Controversy and the Public's Health by Richard Rhodes. Prions are misfolded proteins implicated in Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease, which can be inherited, spontaneous, transmitted via banned-in-real-life cadaver-derived growth hormone, human (and xeno?) transplants (corneas, dura mater [covering of the brain] and meninges [the membranes that envelop the brain and spinal cord] ), contaminated surgical equipment, cannibalism (kuru), and eating infected meat and variety meats. For extra fun, there's Chronic Wasting Disease in deer, elk and moose. Red Talons and lupus packs would be in danger, as would rural Kinfolk.

Classic CJD.
            vCJD
            infection control
            Last edited by Saint Michael; 07-15-2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• Still waiting(patiently for a professional sports update...

: )

The Final Frontier

Comment

• So, this weekend, I will finally have the motorcycle post up. And by either Wed or Sun after that, I'll have the popularly demanded entry for professional sports.

Meanwhile, I've been reading Jonathon Waldman's Rust: The Longest War, about the subject of corrosion and mankind's eternal (and somewhat in vain) effort to stop it. It's a rather broad subject, looking at everything from the 1980s Statue of Liberty restoration (and just how bad of shape it was in) to artists who sneak into condemned factories to take pictures of interesting rust. One chapter of particular interest here is about the canning industry and just how it coats its cans to keep them from corroding and rupturing. (A lot of food items are pretty acidic and therefore corrosive, including sodas.) The coatings are made from plastics, so this sort of industry is a convergence point for all the issues of Harold & Harold Mining, Rainbow Plastics, Young & Smith, and other industries. (The company highlighted began acting incredibly paranoid about Waldman's questions and interest, which didn't make them look at all suspicious in any way.)
                Also, given how powerful and all pervasive rust and other corrosion is in the world, I'm kind of surprised that Rust isn't a major Bone Gnawer totem. Or maybe one for certain Red Talons or other lupus who skulk on the edges of human civilization looking for ways to make it rot away.
                Last edited by No One of Consequence; 07-18-2019, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• MOTORCYCLES

Generally - and legally - speaking, motorcycle refers to any powered two wheeled vehicle. In addition to what most people think of when they hear the word, it also includes scooters and most three wheeled vehicles (such as traditional powered trikes and the more modern reverse models like the Can-Am Spyder). Because they tend to be cheaper and more fuel efficient than cars, as well as easier and cheeper to maintain than a lot of modern computer-enhanced autos, they are popular and prevalent in much of South and East Asia. An estimated 58% of the world's motorcycles are in Asia. Scooter type vehicles also have a high level of popularity in Europe, again because of fuel efficiency, but probably also owing to the fact that they're easier to navigate through the Continent's older urban areas that were never really designed with cars in mind. (Issues of Europe's post war economy and population density also come in to play.)

Environmentally, while motorcycles are more fuel efficient than cars, they do have a down side of often having worse exhaust emissions. Sometimes ten times the level of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons. And, obviously, this contributes to the problem of air pollution in Asian cities. (When the Olympics were held in China, there was a joke about the smog being so bad that javelins were getting stuck in the air during the track and field events. Though I'm pretty sure this was recycled from when the games were held in LA in 1984.)
                  Motorcycles also have the issue of being more dangerous than cars, with the US Dept. of Transportation estimating fatality levels as 37 times higher than automobiles.

Globally, the three biggest motorcycle manufacturers are Honda and Yamaha (from Japan) and Hero MotoCorp (from India). But when you mention motorcycles in the United States, most people think of Harley-Davidson. Harley-Davidson was founded in 1903 in Milwaukee, and is one of the only two US motorcycle companies to have survived the Great Depression. (The other was Indian.) They're still headquartered and have one of their manufacturing plants there, which means that if you're doing something with Milwaukee by Night (or would it be Rage Across Wisconsin?), then it's a possible plot hook. They also have a plant in Manaus, Brazil, for possible Rage Across the Amazon involvement, and have just opened on in Thailand, if you're doing a Beast Courts chronicle.

Modern Marvels has an episode on motorcycles (6-43), and one about Harley-Davidson (10-24).

The YouTube channel Company Man has videos about Harley-Davidson and about Yamaha.

The Discover Channel made a three part miniseries about the founding of Harley-Davidson, Harley and the Davidsons (2016), which is available on DVD. However, like a lot of these things, it apparently fudges a few of its facts in places.

David Wright's The Harley-Davidsons Motor Company: A 100 Year History is more of one of those coffee table books, but has a lot of interesting photos and historical trivia. There's also Growing Up Harley-Davidson, the memoirs of Jean Davidson, granddaughter of one of the company founders.

Internationally, Jeffery Alexander's Japan's Motorcycle Wars is an interesting overview of that nation's industry history and corporate culture.

A big part of Harley-Davidson is their corporate branding, putting their logo on an endless array of clothing and other merchandise, often with various levels of popularity among non-riders/owners of motorcycles. (Back about 15 or 20 years ago, I can remember seeing t-shirts that said "I own a Harley-Davidson, not just a t-shirt" or something to that effect, as a sort of backlash against this sort of thing by serious bikers.) With a PENTEX motorcycle company, this is a win-win, as in addition to people paying to advertise your product on their bodies, it allows for synergy with all the other PENTEX companies - clothing manufacturers, plastics, toy companies, video game designers, etc.

Motorcycles are, of course, also heavily associated in the public consciousness with various motorcycle gangs, ranging from simple juvenile delinquent types to hard core criminal organizations. If you've never seen The Wild One (1953) with a young Marlin Brando, it's worse watching. Likewise, Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga, about his spending about two years with the California based gang in the 1960s. More recently, there's Sons of Anarchy (2008 - 2014). There's also a raft of true crime books out there about motorcycle gangs. Jay Dobyns's No Angel and Charles Falco's Vagos Mongols and Outlaws are two of the more famous. There's also Arthur Veno's The Brotherhoods, about motorcycle clubs in Australia. Japan has its own motorcycle culture, Bosozuku, which are kind of hard to find books about in English. Karl Taro Greenfield's Speed Tribes, which has a chapter about biker gangs, is twenty years old at this point (but still worth reading). However photographer Masayuki Yoshinaga has a rather nice book about the subculture, simply titled Bosozuku.

From more of a parody perspective, the South Park episode "The F-Word" (13-12) presents the sort of obnoxious over the top stereotype that a PENTEX motorcycle company would consider its ideal customer. Especially the idea of rampant noise pollution and general anti-social behavior.

Finally, a bit about off-road dirt biking. It has a tradition of causing certain levels of environmental damage. Tire ruts that turn into erosive gullies during rain, the damage to plant life, the potential spreading of invasive weed seeds, frightening local wild life and so on. (This is true of a lot of off-road type activities, so I'll probably do a more in depth bit about it at some future date.) This is the sort of thing that could be a potential irritant or even outright threat to a Caern's surrounding territory, with some members - especially, say, Red Talons or more hard line environmentalists camps - wanting to deal with it violently. (And inspiration for that kind of thing can be found in various films, such as the original The Hills Have Eyes Part II from 1984 or 2002's Eight Legged Freaks.) Odds are that outdoor off-road motorsports in the World of Darkness get a lot of sponsorship from PENTEX companies.

Comment

• Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                    I'm kind of surprised that Rust isn't a major Bone Gnawer totem. Or maybe one for certain Red Talons or other lupus who skulk on the edges of human civilization looking for ways to make it rot away.
                    Rust would be a totem of the Wyrm.
                    Probably the pre-corruption, everything needs to be broken down and destroyed Wyrm, not Corruption-Wyrm that we have now. But Rot and Rust would not be good for Gaian Totems.

*Although, I have been mulling around concepts for wolves that want to fix the Triat. Ironically, I think that the best solution (in game) to the riddle of a broken Triat is to embrace the pre-corruption Wyrm and Destroy a lot of the world so that things can get back in balance.
                    A Totem like Rust could assist in that

Comment

Working...
                    X