No announcement yet.

PENTEX: Research & Inspiration Company by Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The company website resolves the mystery. A pharmacy called Hirsch Apotheke was founded in Frankfurt in 1462. The Fresenius family took it over in the 19th century. The family proprietor established a pharmaceutical company in 1912 and that's when the corporation began.

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
      The https://www.fresenius.com/history"]company website[/URL] resolves the mystery. A pharmacy called Hirsch Apotheke was founded in Frankfurt in 1462. The Fresenius family took it over in the 19th century. The family proprietor established a pharmaceutical company in 1912 and that's when the corporation began.
      Thank you.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
        Rather than make a new thread for this, I figure I'd ask it here: how would you go about using Pentex(or any of its subsidiaries) during a game set in the Middle Ages?
        Well, unfortunately(?), most of those industries don't really exist before the Industrial Age, if not the 20th century. Even the really old trades like woodcutting, mining, and farming/livestock probably wouldn't be on a scale that would support a big multi regional conspiracy like PENTEX. I think the more likely avenue for this sort for this sort of thing in the Dark Medieval World/Dark Ages is going to be various Wyrm cults (which is another subject I'd like to cover at some point).

I mentioned in the Head Canons & Home Brew thread that my own PENTEX set up is a little different than canon, and that several of the companies were founded by and run cults devoted to various Wyrm spirits. Smith & Young I tie directly to the Red Circle, mainly because as I've mentioned, the P&G logo myth just amuses me to no end. Other cults might find certain period suitable expressions, such as That Which Devours All Flesh (Logan Meat Packing Company) being the power behind a secretive clan of cannibal bandits similar to the (probably mythical) Sawney Bean clan. Treerazer (Good House International - and yes, I took it from Pathfinder) may be somehow tied to medieval charcoal burners. The Thirsty Ground/The Ground Which Thirst For Blood (Yale Cane & Fletcher Agriculture) may be tied to rural villages or even fief lords conducting human sacrifices to insure bountiful harvests. And the whole Dagon/Deep Ones stuff I tie to Hallahan Seafood can work with any isolated seaside fishing village along the Atlantic or Baltic.

But the best bet for a Europe-wide equivalent to PENTEX with its fingers in various courts, the Church, merchant guilds and the like, is to look at Dark Ages: Inquisitor's House of Murnau and use it as the basis for an extended and widespread noble family (like what the Hapsburgs turned into) that is pledged to the Wyrm.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

• No One of Consequence I love the House of Murnau! So you just switched their original allegiance from the Earthbound to the Wyrm?

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

• Originally posted by Penelope View Post
            I love the House of Murnau! So you just switched their original allegiance from the Earthbound to the Wyrm?
            You can. I'd probably change the name and tweak parts of their back story as well. I'd maybe have them specifically sworn to the Eater of Souls, with them sometimes being referred to as the House of Consumption, being heavily driven by greed, gluttony, envy and lust. If you wanted to, you could probably have their high tide point be the events in the New World that lead to the loss of the Croatan, with their failure leading to a long down turn and where by the 19th century there's only a small number of them left.

Really, you can do the same with all of the factions in DA: Inquisitor.
            The Red Circle can probably stand in for the Red Order.
            The Oculi Dei can become a secretive conspiracy of Wyrm-sworn spies and assassins among the peasantry, merchants and other "invisible" hordes of humanity, probably in service to the Defiler Wyrm. The Oculi Serpentis maybe?
            The Poor Knights of the Passion would be a secretive martial order devoted to the Beast of War who have an arsenal of Wyrm fetishes, including weapons and the like. Maybe Knights of Calamity or some such name. Maybe augment them with certain fomori powers when needed.
            The Sisters of St. Joan would be maybe some sort of group of Wyrm-tainted or corrupted psychics (possibly even a medieval forerunner of the Braineater fomori breed created using a form of alchemy). Sisterhood of the Unscaled Eye, maybe.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

• Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

You can. I'd probably change the name and tweak parts of their back story as well. I'd maybe have them specifically sworn to the Eater of Souls, with them sometimes being referred to as the House of Consumption, being heavily driven by greed, gluttony, envy and lust. If you wanted to, you could probably have their high tide point be the events in the New World that lead to the loss of the Croatan, with their failure leading to a long down turn and where by the 19th century there's only a small number of them left.

Really, you can do the same with all of the factions in DA: Inquisitor.
              The Red Circle can probably stand in for the Red Order.
              The Oculi Dei can become a secretive conspiracy of Wyrm-sworn spies and assassins among the peasantry, merchants and other "invisible" hordes of humanity, probably in service to the Defiler Wyrm. The Oculi Serpentis maybe?
              The Poor Knights of the Passion would be a secretive martial order devoted to the Beast of War who have an arsenal of Wyrm fetishes, including weapons and the like. Maybe Knights of Calamity or some such name. Maybe augment them with certain fomori powers when needed.
              The Sisters of St. Joan would be maybe some sort of group of Wyrm-tainted or corrupted psychics (possibly even a medieval forerunner of the Braineater fomori breed created using a form of alchemy). Sisterhood of the Unscaled Eye, maybe.
              Interesting, but I meant the House of Murnau specifically because before switching sides and joining the Inquisition they had been bound by an Infernal Pact to one of the Earthbound.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penelope View Post

Interesting, but I meant the House of Murnau specifically because before switching sides and joining the Inquisition they had been bound by an Infernal Pact to one of the Earthbound.
                Yeah, you can probably do that as well. (I'm not sure the Garou would see much distinction between the Earthbound and the truly powerful Wyrm spirits, but if you were doing a crossover game it'd probably come up at some point.)

Comment

• Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Yeah, you can probably do that as well. (I'm not sure the Garou would see much distinction between the Earthbound and the truly powerful Wyrm spirits, but if you were doing a crossover game it'd probably come up at some point.)
                  That makes sense. I agree with you that the Garou would probably neither know nor care that the Earthbound weren’t technically “of the Wyrm.”

Comment

• I'm debating doing a tangental post about current Native American issues, especially involving economic development and land usage. Eventually I want to do my social media entry (if social media companies would ever stop continuing to find new and terrible things to do), as well as about the advertising industry.

Comment

Working...
                    X