No announcement yet.

PENTEX: Research & Inspiration Company by Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prior to its use for nuclear fission, uranium was also used in glass and pottery, such as bowls or tiles. Another reason to mine uranium is to obtain radium, which was isolated in 1910 and was used for its luminescence and also for medical uses, most of which were mere quackery. It seems plausible to me that a PENTEX conspiracy may take part in these uses of radioactive products.
    Another notable aspect of the use of radium was the effect that ingestion of radium from paintbrushes had on the makers of radium watch hands. The United States Radium Company was sued by five workers for negligence in protecting their workers from the radioactive substances despite being aware of the dangers. The company had in fact attempted to hide the effect that the ingestion of radium had on their workers, which could also be used as inspiration for PENTEX.
    Last edited by Metalrift; 01-24-2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalrift View Post
      Prior to its use for nuclear fission, uranium was also used in glass and pottery, such as bowls or tiles. Another reason to mine uranium is to obtain radium, which was isolated in 1910 and was used for its luminescence and also for medical uses, most of which were mere quackery. It seems plausible to me that a PENTEX conspiracy may take part in these uses of radioactive products.
      Thank you. That absolutely screams for a Werewolf: The Wild West one shot about a snake oil salesman peddling radium-infused medical tonics.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Given how much bomb tests factor in the history of the Rokea, this XKCD post is also a good reference for how radiation and water interact.

I'd add the caveat that where Pentex is involved there is unlikely to be any effort to keep the water clean, so there would be dangerous contaminants released into the water and carried by the currents.
        Last edited by Ramnesis; 01-25-2018, 09:51 AM.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
          I'd add the caveat that where Pentex is involved there is unlikely to be any effort to keep the water clean, so there would be dangerous contaminants released into the water and carried by the currents.
          Probably doing the absolute bare minimum that the law allows, with the occasional bribe or kickback to get people to look the other way when needed.

Although, these days, it seems the EPA is perfectly happy to help PENTEX out with the occasional "oops, my bad".

Edit: I probably will get around to talking about the water industry at some point.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

AUTUMN HEALTH MANAGEMENT

PENTEX's entry into the health care market in Book of the Wyrm 2nd ed.

This is a pretty sprawling field, covering everything from conception to death, and from small clinics to major hospitals.

At the hospital level, it's unlikely that Autumn goes out and builds their own. More likely, they find preexisting hospitals and clinics that they can offer their services to. In this way, they take over the paperwork and logistics, and eventually get to make the rules for who gets what kind of treatment, where equipment and supplies are purchased from ("This is Magadon, they'll be providing all out drugs from now on. Now let's go meet the people from Good House and Rainbow."), standards of employee behavior, and dozens of other little details that can easily turn a hospital into a pit of misery and despair for employees and patients alike.

Some hospitals are teaching hospitals, helping train new doctors, nurses and other professionals, and this gives Autumn a chance to corrupt the next generation of the medical industry. They are likely big proponents of utilitarian bioethics, advocating resources be spent on younger patients with "high quality" lives while being withheld from the elderly, those with terminal diseases and children with birth defects, among others. Wesley Smith's Culture of Death gives a critical overview of the subject, including personal encounters with it. Micheal Palmer's Extreme Measures, as well as it's 1996 film adaption, also touch on some of these issues as well as dealing with secret medical experiments and creepy cabals among hospital administrations.

Robin Cook has done a number of medical thrillers involving hospital related conspiracies. Coma, involving the deliberate causing of brain death in surgical patients so they can have their organs harvested as needed, is his most famous, having had two film adaptations. Others include Mortal Fear (murdering elderly patients to save on the cost of treating them), Terminal (creating custom made diseases just to be the hospital that has the cure for it),and Godplayer (the murder of terminally ill patients).

I'll also mention Michael Crichton's non-fiction work Five Patients, which gives an interesting look into hospital and medical culture back in the late 1960s, certain aspects of which are still relevant today. His fiction novel A Case of Need is also pretty good. And, of course, there are dozens of tv shows out there set in hospitals. House, Grey's Anatomy, and St. Elsewhere, just to name a few.

Below the hospital, we have the small local clinic. This is the sort of place PENTEX can "take it to the streets", so to speak, using local poor people as test subjects for various Magadon drugs or other items, creating fronts for selling illegal drugs, or just finding drug addicts or terminal patients who might make good subjects for fomori production.

Nursing homes and assisted living facilities are often stereotyped as dumping grounds for unwanted old people, and in the World of Darkness, this is probably more true than not. Autumn run facilities are probably houses of horrors hidden behind a careful facade of pleasant care. [There are more than a few medical thrillers I've read over the years involving the subject, but I can't seem to find my list of them atm.] Bubba Ho-Tep (2002), a cult film about a soul-eating mummy terrorizing a nursing home whose patients include a man who claims to be Elvis and another who believes he's JFK, is worth watching.

I suspect that Autumn probably also runs a few mental hospitals. Probably a place where some Project: Odyssey testing and research goes on, as well as a possible place for finding lost cubs to turn over the the Black Spiral Dancers (or just experiment on themselves). World of Darkness: Asylum from nWoD/Chronicles of Darkness is a really good sourcebook on the subject. Victor LaValle's The Devil in Silver is a really great horror novel set in a mental hospital. Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and it's 1975 film adaption are both classics. Also Susanna Kaysen's Girl, Interrupted and it's 1999 film version. I will also note Session 9 (2001) just because the abandoned mental hospital has such a nice creepy ambiance to it. You can probably also get some ideas from the 2007 remake of Halloween ("This is were we keep the Gorehounds 'til we need them."), Shutter Island (2010), Terminator 2 (1991), and A Cure For Wellness (2016).

More to come.

Added: Autumn may also run plastic surgery clinics. Such places can encourage vanity and self-image issues, offering fertile territory for Banes. Certain "experimental" surgeries and treatments may give rise to a new Fomori breed. There's also more mundane corrupt practices, such as smuggling drugs in breast implants or helping wanted criminals and terrorists change their appearance. Nip/Tuck (2003 - 2010) is an interesting look at certain aspects of the business.

More Added: Hospitals and the like are a staple for horror and dramatic fiction and films. In addition to ones listed above, others that might offer inspiration for Autumn-focused chronicles include Ginger Snaps 2 (2004; think of it as a lost cub in a rehab center), The Wolfman (2010; lost cub in a Victorian mental institution, which is even worse), Halloween II (1981), Persona (1966), 12 Monkeys (1995), A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 (1987; especially if you want a potential Wraith or Changeling crossover), Exorcist III (1990; Bane possession in a hospital), House on Haunted Hill (1999), Gridlock'd (1997; just how hard can you make it for drug addicts to even get into rehab, let alone get clean?), Dirty Pretty Things (2002; not about hospitals, but does demonstrate how PENTEX affiliated doctors might take advantage of the poor and desperate), Human Harvest (2014, a documentary about the alleged harvesting of organs of political prisoners by Chinese state run hospitals), American Horror Story: Asylum (2012), and Bringing Out the Dead (1999).

Last edited by No One of Consequence; 01-30-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

SAFE HAVEN CONSTRUCTION & HI-QUALITY BUILDERS

An obscure pair, being introduced in Book of the City, they are PENTEX's entry into the construction industry.

Safe Haven specializes is making custom specialized projects to suite very special needs, and unlike a lot of PENTEX companies, they do very high quality work, making things to last and coming in on time and within budget. Panic rooms are, undoubtably one of their specialties. Panic Room (2002) is a decent film that gives a good general idea of what the things are like, as well as offering possible inspiration for when a pack of Garou need to get a PENTEX executive or other person of interest out of one. At the far end of the spectrum, check out Vivos Europa One, a five-star billionaire survival resort. I guess all those James Bond villain lairs built into volcanoes, the ocean floor, or in outer space don't seem quite so out there any more. There are a number of construction firms out there that specialize in this sort of thing (http://www.hardenedstructures.com; http://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com; and https://risingsbunkers.com are just a tiny sample), and some advertise in the DuPont Registry catering to wealthy clientele.

Beyond that, the company will create anything a client wants, regardless of issues of legality or morality. Private torture chambers, ritual sacrifice rooms, secret vaults to house illegal collections, and strange death traps are just a sample of what they can do. Films such as Saw 3 (2006), Hostel (2005), The Collection (2012), Blade (1998), Dracula 2000 (2000), and Cabin in the Woods (2012) can offer various ideas. Also Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera (and Susan Kay's Phantom).

On the other hand, Hi-Quality Builders builds absolute crap. They specialize in suburban sprawl housing developments and neighborhoods, using low quality material, shoddy workmanship, unskilled labor, and any other underhanded trick they can think of. If you've ever seen any of Mike Holmes's tv shows, he's made a career out of fixing the messes left behind by bad building companies and contractors. Anything he's ever encountered can probably be found in HQB homes. More outlandishly, there's also Poltergeist (1982), in which an entire subdivision is contructed on a former cemetery without bothering to move the bodies. Their houses apparently have Banes bound to them, which can lead to a classic Amityville Horror (1979) scenario. HQB's big idea as of the printing of Book of the City back in 2002 was fully planned out communities, complete with a friendly neighborhood O'Tolley's, a Hendrik's market and Endron gas station, among other things. One of these could easily turn into something similar to Bentley Little's The Association.

While these are the two companies named, there's more to the construction business. If you've never heard of them, Bechtel Corperation is America's largest construction and civil engineering company. They were part of the consortium that built the Hoover Dam, built about 40% of the US's nuclear power plants, and did project management for the 1984 Summer Olympics. They were also involved in cleaning up after Three Mile Island, put out oil fires after the Gulf War, helped build the Chunnel, Washington DC's metro rail, and a number of major airports around the world. You can read about them in Sally Denton's The Profiteers: Bechtel and the Men Who Built the World and Laton McCartey's Friends in High Places: The Bechtel Story: The Most Secret Corporation and How it Engineered the World.

Also of potential interest is Corruption and Racketeering in the New York City Construction Industry: The Final Report of the New York State Organized Crime Taskforce.

More to come.

Added 4-13: Odds are that a lot of PENTEX developed buildings - especially offices and apartment buildings - are deliberately designed to bring about Sick Building Syndrome, not just on a physical level with atmospheric issues, chemical residues and molds, but also on psychological levels via subtle design choices, decor and layout (using the field of environmental psychology for evil), and spiritually through the use of Banes, Spectres and other nasties.
              Last edited by No One of Consequence; 04-13-2018, 05:45 PM.

Comment

BRING OUT YOUR DEAD (Defunct Subsidiaries)

Having mentioned Atlas, it has occurred to me that there are likely a number of other PENTEX subsidiaries that have come and gone over the years. What might've once seemed like a ubiquitous part of modern life can easily drop off into the dust bin of history. So, here are a few ideas for those interested in historical chronicles or long running conspiracies. If anyone has any others, feel free to add them.

Video Rental Stores
                Even as late as 10 years ago, I'm sure all those HQB planned communities included a PENTEX owned video rental chain outlet. The sort of place that makes sure those new releases from Slaughter House Video and similar companies are given prominent shelf space, and the kids section is full of Action Bill toy commercials - excuse me - cartoons. I'm sure half the staff are like Randal from Clerks (1994), and their last days probably resembled the South Park episode A Nightmare on Face Time. Odds are many of them had that video from the end of The Ring (2002) or something similarly Bane-tainted.

The Circus
                If PENTEX ever owned a circus, odds are it lived up to any and every allegation of animal abuse made against various companies, had a collection of mentally unstable fomori for the Freak Show, and the clowns were probably all serial killers ranging from John Wayne Gacy to Pennywise. American Horror Story: Freak Show (2014), The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920), Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983), Circus of Horrors (1960), The Last Circus (2010), and Vampire Circus (1971) can all offer possible ideas.

Conversion Therapy
                I remember this from 10 and 20 years ago, and it gets mention with Homogeniety Incorporated in Freak Legion, but I have no idea if this is even still a thing or not. If anyone in the LGBT community or otherwise knowledgeable about the current state of this can offer information, I'd appreciate it.

Cheap Dial Up Internet Service for Dummies
                Yes, thousands of free 3.5" floppy disks and CD-ROMs will arrive in your mail each weak, as well as clutter the counters of your local video rental, music store and anywhere else you shop. Likely subtly encouraging uses to act like total ass-hats on mailing lists, reply to scam emails, forward chain emails to friends, cheat on their significant others and look for the most sorted and demeaning pr0n the internet had to offer back then.

NEW (Feb5)
                Pointless High Tech Gizmo Toys for Executives
                Once a mainstay of shopping malls (which are themselves apparently on death's door), the store that sold nothing but weird (and often interesting) things allegedly for business execs to keep on their desks or use in the office. Personal massagers, those little swinging balls, those boxes of metal rods you could leave your handprint in, tiny putting greens, and countless other largely useless thingamajigs. The sort of things that one can bind a Bane or two onto and have it subtly influence the minds of small business executives, CEO wannabes and the like, encouraging them to do the sort of things PENTEX executives do.

Photography
                If you're too old to remember photos before the digital age, you probably also have no memory of how ubiquitous photo processing stores were. Photo development chemicals are not, as far as I can learn, that damaging to the environment. However, certain photo papers apparently contained chromium and some films were known to contain perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (and wow that's a mouthful), which apparently is bad for most living things even in fairly small doses. If there was a PENTEX subsidiary specializing in cameras, film and developing, odds are their film was full of potentially toxic chemicals, their cameras attracting Banes that encouraged voyeurism, spying, obsessiveness and other antisocial behaviors. Certain types of black & white films also contained silver nitrate and other silver compounds, so it's possible such a company might've been a minor source of silver for use in First Team ammo by recovering it from developing fluids. You may find some inspiration for photography related PENTEX shenanigans in things like One Hour Photo (2002), Invisible Adversaries (1977), Shutter (2008), and Time Lapse (2014). Also, both versions of The Omen (1976/2006).
                Last edited by No One of Consequence; 02-05-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                  Conversion Therapy
                  I remember this from 10 and 20 years ago, and it gets mention with Homogeniety Incorporated in Freak Legion, but I have no idea if this is even still a thing or not. If anyone in the LGBT community or otherwise knowledgeable about the current state of this can offer information, I'd appreciate it.
                  It's at least still a thing, checking its Wikipedia page.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Not according to the recently released Pentex handbook.

The Final Frontier

Comment

Looking back at the write up in Freak Legion, it sort of feels more like a Weaver thing ("Conformity is good, Conformity is comfort") for some reason. But maybe that's just me.

Note: Currently trying to work on Ardus (and wow are there a lot of books out there about garbage), Nastrum, Black Dog, and a bit about Project Iliad.
                      Last edited by No One of Consequence; 02-03-2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                        Conversion Therapy
                        Yes it is. It has no more credence in mainstream psychology for sexual orientation, but it has its advocates, including voluntary programs for adults, and (usually church run) camps for adolescents who may be sent their non-voluntarily by their parents. There are reports from survivors of kids being subjected to physical torture as part of the process as recently as the 00s.

They work to keep low profile in the US now. A year or two ago, Jeremy Jordan, the actor who plays Winn on Supergirl, went public with a family dispute over his aunt and uncle sending his cousin (who was a gay adolescent) to a conversion therapy camp against her will - he was drawing unwanted attention to it specifically to get her out (it worked).

It's illegal to subject a minor to conversion therapy in only 9 states.

You still have some mainstream advocates for it for transgender children. They're in the minority, but they number enough to not be treated as complete crackpots by the psychiatric establishment like anyone suggesting it to change sexual orientation is now.
                        Last edited by glamourweaver; 02-04-2018, 01:24 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post
                          Not according to the recently released Pentex handbook.
                          You mean the Employee Indoctrination Handbook? I can’t find any reference one way or the other.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Thank you. That was informative. Depressing, but informative.

From rereading Homogeniety's (and isn't that a Weaver-ish word) write up in Freak Legion, they sound like the sort of outfit that would've gone under at least a decade ago, if for no other reason than their leader was either murdered by one of his victims or quietly thrown into a wood chipper by a PENTEX cleaning crew because he was too sloppy even for their standards.

As I said, it's one of those things that, to me at least, feels a lot more Weaver-ish than Wyrm-ish, as it plays on people's desires for social acceptance and wanting to be "normal", and I think turning into one of some Stepford Wife/Child Drone, all of whom act alike, dress alike and gradually start to look alike, all while having no real sex-drive outside of scheduled procreation time, seems more horrible in such a situation.

Comment

NASTRUM ENTERPRISES
                              I had a guaranteed military sale with ED-309 - renovation program, spare parts for twenty-five years - Who cares if it worked or not?!"
                              Dick Jones, Robocop (1987)

Described as "makers of weapons of mass destruction", I've always felt that this just sort of barely scratched the surface of Nastrum's scope and activities. Clearly, they're a weapons manufacturing company, but in contrast to Herculean, who make personal firearms, they make large scale military hardware, apparently specializing in missiles and aircraft. This would appear to make them primarily an aerospace company with a focus on military contracts.

We'll start with real world aerospace companies: Lockheed-Martin (one of, if not the, largest defense contractor in the world), Northrop-Grumman, Boeing's Defense Space & Security division, Raytheon (world's largest producer of guided missiles), and the UK's BAE Systems. All of these have Wikipedia pages giving an overview of their history and operations, as well as links to those companies that merged to form these entities or that they've bought, sold and otherwise been involved with.

Back in the Cold War, Lockheed started something called The Skunk Works, their Advanced Development Program, where they developed spy planes and other aerospace tech for the CIA and military intelligence groups. This includes the U-2, the SR-71 Blackbird, the F-22, and more recently, the high beta compact nuclear fusion reactor. Ben Rich's Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed gives an interesting account of some of the company's declassified work from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Relatedly, Images of Aviation's photo-book about Area 51 is also interesting. They also have booklets on Edwards Airforce Base, various aircraft plants, and other topics.

As a curious aside that seems very fitting for Werewolf and PENTEX, the name "Skunk Works" comes from the old Lil' Abner comic strip, in which one of the locals in Dogpatch, Kentucky, is constantly grinding up dead skunks and old shoes to go in the still at his "Skunk Works", killing scores of locals every year with the fumes, all for some mysterious, never specified purpose.

One aspect of the American aerospace industry, especially in regards to the development of rocket technology, is the importation of Nazi scientists after WW2 as part of Operation/Project: Paperclip. While this did have the admirable goal of keeping them and their ideas out of the hands of Stalin, a number of them had their records white-washed to down play just how involved they were in the Nazi party. This might very well be the secret origins behind certain people and projects at Nastrum. Annie Jacobsen's Operation Paperclip gives a pretty good overview of it. She's also done books about Area 51 and the Pentagon's DARPA research group (The Pentagon's Brain), as well as one about military research into psychics and psychic phenomenon (Phenomena), all of which can tie into Nastrum, PENTEX, Project: Odyssey, Project: Twilight, and the World of Darkness in general.

And speaking of Area 51, there's the long running conspiracy theory of the government - or parts of the military industrial complex, of which Nastrum would be a part - having recovered crashed UFOs/alien space craft and reverse engineering them to create super-advanced aircraft. The three names that come up in this most often are Roswell, NM, Hanger 18 at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in OH, and Area 51 (part of the Nevada Test and Training Range, apparently known over the years by the names Homey Airport, Groom Lake, Dreamland and Paradise Ranch, among others). The theory of Zero Point Energy gets thrown around a lot in some of these theories, apparently as part of the development of military flying saucers. A two-part X-Files episode, Dreamland, involves Area 51 and a number of episodes involve or mention the supposed 1947 UFO crash at Roswell. If you want to work some of the "alien" aspects of the Wyrm mentioned in Book of the Wyrm 2nd ed or in certain Mage sourcebooks (or Delta Green, GURPS Black Ops, and others), this can be an interesting way to incorporate it.

One of the biggest things in military aerospace over the past decade or so has been the development of Drones, originally as surveillance craft but increasingly being armed with more and more powerful weaponry. Hugh Gusterson's Drone: Remote Control Warfare looks at the technology from a number of different perspectives, both pro and con. There's also a documentary film Drone (2014). Movies like Eagle Eye (2008), Good Kill (2014) and Eye in the Sky (2015) also focus on the subject. Drone operators have been known to be recruited at video game conventions and trade shows, which offers a potential tie in with Tellus/Sunburst. It also has occurred to me that trying to slave a Bane into a drone's operating system might make for some sort of semi-autonomous attack craft that could aid First Teams in hunting Garou, not just in war zones but also in rural and even urban environments in the Americas, Europe, Australia and elsewhere.

Because they're still an aerospace company (apparently), Nastrum probably still does more conventional aircraft work. It's possibly that they supply aircraft and/or engines to a small PENTEX owned airline (one that loves to overbook and then beat you senseless and drag you off the plane when a more important person wants your seat) and/or makes really high priced private jets that guzzle even more fuel than average. Michael Crichton's Airframe is a decent introduction to some of the ins and outs of the aircraft industry. Also, Thomas Petzinger's Hard Landing: The Epic Contest for Power and Profits that Plunged the Airlines into Chaos, Robert Gandt's Skygods: The Fall of PanAm, and Christie Negroni's The Crash Detectives: Investigating the World's Most Mysterious Air Disasters. There's also the issue of the CIA using private airlines for less than honorable purposes. See Christopher Robbins's Air America.

I'll also mention, again, World of Darkness: Armory for nWoD/CoD, as it has a section on military hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

You mean the Employee Indoctrination Handbook? I can’t find any reference one way or the other.

I could've sworn I read something about Pentex being 100% against discrimination in any forms, and are as inclusive as can be.

I may be wrong, but I do remember being thrown back a little bit, on how this gigantic wyrm-infested business pool of evil...is for LGBTQ rights.

I'd search now, but I'm drinking way too much and watching football.

The Final Frontier

Comment

Working...
                                X