Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kumo Spiders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kumo Spiders

    20th Anniversary Book of the Wyrm tells us that unlike the Antara, "Even the Kumo have their place in the Ananasa’s web, corrupting and killing to her ultimate design."

    From everything else that's ever been said on the subject I can find, this would come as a huge shock to the Kumo! How are the Kumo not true minions of the Wyrm in its corrupted state? They certainly don't seem to be pursuing any agenda parallel to the Hatar, Kumoti, and Tenere, and are actively enemies of Gaian Fera. Any idea what I'm missing here, or did the BotW 20th writer of the section in question break from the rest of canon?


    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

  • #2
    It's not a canon breach. Breedbook Ananasi posited the same thing p28

    The Kumo are described as very emotional so perhaps they serve the Queen by being driven to self-destructive evil, attracting the attention of the Kuei-Jin and the Beast Courts on Wyrmish activity and destroying and corrupting things because some whispers in their heads told them to? If they serve Ananasa it's obviously in a "unwilling dupes" manner and believe themselves totally in the service of the Wyrm.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cb20 did add "Renegade Kumo" who don't serve the centepede so.. who knows?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lian View Post
        Cb20 did add "Renegade Kumo" who don't serve the centepede so.. who knows?

        Yes, but the line in BotW20 was talking about the Kumo as a general group, not the atypical rogues.


        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ganonso View Post
          It's not a canon breach. Breedbook Ananasi posited the same thing p28

          The Kumo are described as very emotional so perhaps they serve the Queen by being driven to self-destructive evil, attracting the attention of the Kuei-Jin and the Beast Courts on Wyrmish activity and destroying and corrupting things because some whispers in their heads told them to? If they serve Ananasa it's obviously in a "unwilling dupes" manner and believe themselves totally in the service of the Wyrm.
          Thank you, that is helpful!


          Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm trying to decide if their patron totems (Marawa, Rati, and Nareau (who appear to reflect the Triatic Wyrm) should actually be presented as Holding rank and power in Malfeas or not.


            Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

            Comment


            • #7
              I've had the same question recently when I compared Kumo to Antara. While the Antara are presented as being genuinely freed from Ananasa's will, it seems like the she gives the Kumo over willingly to the Defiler Wyrm. However, the section on the Kumo in Changing Breeds says a small number leave the Wyrm and join the Beast Courts in defense of Gaia. If that happens, then what exactly is going on with the Kumo as regards to Ananasa's web? Because it seems like they have free will too. Do older edition books have more answers?


              My W20 Play-by-Post Game

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                20th Anniversary Book of the Wyrm tells us that unlike the Antara, "Even the Kumo have their place in the Ananasa’s web, corrupting and killing to her ultimate design."

                From everything else that's ever been said on the subject I can find, this would come as a huge shock to the Kumo! How are the Kumo not true minions of the Wyrm in its corrupted state? They certainly don't seem to be pursuing any agenda parallel to the Hatar, Kumoti, and Tenere, and are actively enemies of Gaian Fera. Any idea what I'm missing here, or did the BotW 20th writer of the section in question break from the rest of canon?
                I think its because Ananasa actually traded the Kumo to the Wyrm for a favor.


                It is a time for great deeds!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Formosus View Post
                  I've had the same question recently when I compared Kumo to Antara. While the Antara are presented as being genuinely freed from Ananasa's will, it seems like the she gives the Kumo over willingly to the Defiler Wyrm. However, the section on the Kumo in Changing Breeds says a small number leave the Wyrm and join the Beast Courts in defense of Gaia. If that happens, then what exactly is going on with the Kumo as regards to Ananasa's web? Because it seems like they have free will too. Do older edition books have more answers?

                  The Kumo are used by Ananasa to make the Wyrm believe it still holds a major influence among the Werespiders. The Kumo follow a triad of wyrmish Spider-Spirits (? - their nature is never really clarified) and of course, they don't know anything about Ananasas plans, so they actually believe they are following the Wyrm. In this scenario it totally makes sense that some Kumo try to break with the Wyrm, which may actually be part of Ananasas plans, too, to distract wyrmish forces from other, more pressing issues.

                  The Antara instead, as the W20 Book of the Wyrm states, are Werespiders freed from Ananasas web, so they are not under her influence any more. This too is a plot of the spider queen, as she doesn't know if the Wyrm is already in her mind and she tries to plant independent agents of symmetry in the world. However, Wyrm detected those free Werespiders rather quickly and struck a deal with at least a few of them. The book deliberately doesn't clarify if the Antara really serve the Wyrm or if they are playing the servants while following their own free minds.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X