Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess What......New Werewolf TA Computer Game Announced.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://forums.focus-home.com/assets...900d-image.png

I don't know about you, but I am so hyped !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf-Man View Post
      ‚ÄčI still think Glabro is accident that has in the very least some theatrical appeal to it. It's been used in a lot of old WW films.
      What are those 'old WW films' ?

Comment

I believe Wolf-Man means "old werewolf films" such as the old Universal and Hammer horror films, where the "Glabro" style monster was the default because "Crinos" style werewolves weren't really a thing until better SFX technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          I believe Wolf-Man means "old werewolf films" such as the old Universal and Hammer horror films, where the "Glabro" style monster was the default because "Crinos" style werewolves weren't really a thing until better SFX technology.
          Even as recently as the Michael J. Fox "Teen Wolf" movie in the 1980s used a glabro style. That allowed Fox's character to play on the varsity basketball team in his "werewolf" form.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post

Even as recently as the Michael J. Fox "Teen Wolf" movie in the 1980s used a glabro style. That allowed Fox's character to play on the varsity basketball team in his "werewolf" form.

That happens only in the World of Light, here is World of Darkness

Comment

Well, new news:

https://www.gamesradar.com/humans-ha...aking-it-back/

So, basic points:

- You're playing a "lone wolf" "outcast" Fianna now, who for [reasons] left his pack after fighting with them long enough to be a "veteran of the battlefield," and is called back because the pack needs you for something. Also you have a son. The son matters... or doesn't? It's not really clear.

- Playing very fast and loose with the lore, probably enough to annoy long standing WtA fans, and possibly confuse people unfamiliar.

- You have a Rage meter, fill it up you Frenzy, Frenzy too long and you become "Touched by the Wyrm" and game over, also you have to kill everyone ally or enemy around you to exit Frenzy. Rage goes up for a number of reasons from seeing various things, to dialogue options, etc.

- Multiple styles of resolving quests being stated as an important part of game play

- Still three forms.

- Pentex is still the big bad, and is run by vampires.

Reactions from me:

I really hope a lot of the spelling errors are because the author is unfamiliar with the game and talked to the developers verbally. I've seen some corrections between my first reading and this post, so I'm going to assume that "Krynos" and "Pantex," are miscommunications.

No mention at all that WtA has been around for over 25 years. Feels kinda weird especially as the author hypes up the game being a big deal for werewolves "finally" getting their own RPG (though not the first time werewolves have been playable characters in a videogame RPG before).

Merging Gaia and the Wyld into one entity is really meh to me, as they seem to really screw up the idea that Gaia is dying because of the imbalance of the Triat. Gaia-Wyld is now dying for... reasons that aren't entirely clear since the Weaver went insane trying to contain the endless creation of things (meaning Gaia-Wyld can't be doing that badly?), and took the Wyrm down with it. It seems like it wants to put this on humanity, but misses the point that human creativity (which is behind all of our technology and expansion) is part of the Wyld. Gaia is supposed to be in trouble because the entire Trait is fucked up, not because she's the Wyld.

Fianna male character with a son? First, bleh, "Fianna are all Irish," is apparently coming back. Second, oh look another white male character with some sort of vague tragic backstory (which is likely only vague to make it easier for people to insert themselves into the character, forgetting there are people beside white men, instead of accepting that you picked a white male character and making him interesting for everyone). Third, the son is clearly falling to the Wyrm (or if kin, possible vampire bait) and you have to stop it/put him down because if the point wasn't that you failed as a father because you had to take care of your personal trauma as a soldier in a war, your son would be dead so you could comeback and get revenge instead. Forth, this is a shit setup for replay - not that every game has to be setup for replay, but then don't sell us on multiple runs as part of the fun - because all the big "make decisions" options are going to lead to the same two/three options anyway; besides you have RPG action and adventure to have before worrying about your kid.

Crynod? This can't just be hearing Crinos wrong. Apparently "Homid" or just "Human" isn't enough and we get a new word for human-form...

You can't ask us, "When will you Rage?" if you give us a damned Rage meter that makes you rage when it's full. We know when we'll rage now... thanks? "Touched by the Wyrm" instead of "Thrall of the Wyrm" seems a silly change for a game-ending state too. "Thrall of the Wyrm" sounds really bad, and you can understand why it would be game-ending (and better than some of the WtA TT rules for it in a way). Touched by the Wyrm is like, 99% of the setting.. so how is that game ending? Just seems a silly change that communicates things worse. Again, the Rage mechanics seem like a bit replay killer, because you're just going to know where all the Rage triggers are (even with some clever evocative ones) and know how to play to get the amount of Rage you want.

Frenzy looks like a game-play nightmare. Any area that's not designed to make sure you can absolutely reach every killable thing creates a dumb loop of needing to kill everything, but you can't reach an NPC that's hiding behind a thing you can't break or whatever, or the area is expansive and there are fast targets that are running in all directions and getting them all is impossible. Losing the game because you can't spend forever in Frenzy is just going to make that worse.

Pentex is controlled by vampires... seems a needless addition. Yeah, there have always been vampires in Pentex, but it's not a vampire-cult, and vampires are not WtA's primary antagonist. Making them the bosses dilutes the video game's own advertising about pushing back against human evils.

Actually still OK with three forms, because it's pretty clear that there's not enough room in the design concept to make Glabro and Hispo worth including.

I'm foreseeing yet another RPG that claims you can take multiple paths to beat the game (in terms of approach, not endings), but really anything but combat focused is going to be worthless (esp. if strategy guides can give you all the passwords or whatever so hacking and sneaking are less important). Considering you need to be able to win fights with brute force in Frenzy or you lose, that's already a big pressure to put a lot into combat. Redemption and the Hunter games didn't bother with pretending that non-combat was important. One of the biggest issues with Bloodlines that no amount of unofficial patches can fix, is that you can beat most of the game without combat, but if you take a different path besides combat the end of the game is basically impossible; Bloodlines just made it so replaying with the different Clans and their different approaches to combat was fun anyway.

I'm apprehensive about the idea that your character is experienced enough to be called a veteran of fighting in an RPG, because it's hard to make an RPG feel good if you're supposed to start above average but are a starting level character. Redemption makes it work because Christoff might be an above average human fighter, but he starts as a Neonate and has a lot to learn about being a vampire. Bloodlines starts you as a fresh Embrace. Are we getting an RPG where the main character gets good stats to start and keeps them for once? Or just another RPG where your character is hyped up in game as being awesome, but has chump stats?

Comment

Read the preview today. Lots of spelling errors AND errors in general, which White Wolf themselves CONFIRMED. So I'm not very concerned about those. The preview was written by someone 100% unfamiliar with the setting, and boy does it show.

Was initially upset about being forced to play as Fianna, but I'm growing on the idea.

I'm still extremely excited about this game, and hope we can see some actual video soon.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Second, oh look another white male character with some sort of vague tragic backstory (which is likely only vague to make it easier for people to insert themselves into the character, forgetting there are people beside white men, instead of accepting that you picked a white male character and making him interesting for everyone).
                  Are you alright? lol

I'm pretty sure the developers know that there are people besides White men. This is the first real(as in it will be released) WtA video game, ever. This is the character they chose for the story. Perhaps he will be interesting? Maybe give it a chance before totally throwing it in the garbage?

Or not.

I'm just waiting on the video the journalist supposedly saw, before writing that horrifically worded preview.

Last edited by Fat Larry; 02-14-2018, 07:35 PM.

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post

Are you alright? lol

I'm pretty sure the developers know that there are people besides White men. This is the first real(as in it will be released) WtA video game, ever. This is the character they chose for the story. Perhaps he will be interesting? Maybe give it a chance before totally throwing it in the garbage?

Or not.

I'm just waiting on the video the journalist supposedly saw, before writing that horrifically worded preview.

I'd say, given that WtA has possibly the most justification for a POC main character, using a Fianna white guy is a bit of a cop-out to me too. Not that hard to have a POC Bone Gnawer or a Glass Walker or even a Fianna if they are married to that tribe as the one being portrayed.

My gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post

I'd say, given that WtA has possibly the most justification for a POC main character, using a Fianna white guy is a bit of a cop-out to me too. Not that hard to have a POC Bone Gnawer or a Glass Walker or even a Fianna if they are married to that tribe as the one being portrayed.

Okay. Yeah, I'm not going to get into this.

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

Maybe you get to choose your auspice tho. That would be nice.

I like games with character appearance customizer. The option to play man/woman and have a bit of control on the appearance is always nice to have. It doesn't need to be a 3 hour making affair. Heck i was entirely satisfied with the appearances offered in the bloodline game. Then again, i've played games where you don't have any say on who you play and i managed to be entertained anyway. Still i'm interested to see what comes of it.
                        Last edited by Maitrecorbo; 02-14-2018, 09:43 PM.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
                        Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.
                        Currently planning: Scion 2nd edition

Comment

I'm pretty sure the developers know that there are people besides White men.
                          https://gamerant.com/average-video-game-heroes/

Four years old, and still just as relevant of an article today.

I've been playing video games for over 30 years. I have played more Brown-Haired-White-Guy action games than I could probably count. It's boring. I can stand vague boring PCs in my video games if they're games where I'm expected to design my own character, because I can appreciate the difficulty in balancing a deep character with the player making whatever in a video game.

It's even more disappointing when WW has said they want to actually work on representation. WW says they want more diversity in their products... and so far we're not really getting that.

This is the first real(as in it will be released) WtA video game, ever.
                          Yeah, my point was it isn't the first werewolf (small W) video game by far, and isn't even the first werewolf action RPG, unlike the writer of the article made it sound. Yes, werewolves are rare in the genre compared to other monsters, though action RPGs are vastly more dominated by playing humans/humans with powers than monsters anyway.

This is the character they chose for the story. Perhaps he will be interesting? Maybe give it a chance before totally throwing it in the garbage?
                          It's their job to market, not my job to give them a benefit of the doubt when I've seen these sorts of previews before, and gotten the same end result so many times before.

Why don't I think we'll get an interesting main character? Because they're anathema to the kind of game we're being told we're getting. This style of game wants to sell us on the illusion of choice, but to keep the story on the rails they need to keep things about the character vague and non-specific... which makes them less interesting.

Comment

I've been playing video games for over 30 years. I have played more Brown-Haired-White-Guy action games than I could probably count. It's boring. I can stand vague boring PCs in my video games if they're games where I'm expected to design my own character, because I can appreciate the difficulty in balancing a deep character with the player making whatever in a video game.

Me too. 33 years, to be exact. And yes, I've played many games where the protagonist was a White male and it was boring. And I've played many games where the protagonist was a White male and it was awesome(Witcher 3).

I've played many games where the protagonist was a Black male, and it was boring. And I've played a number of games where the protagonist was a Black male, and it was awesome(Mafia 3).

I try not to focus on the race of a character when I'm playing, and tend to focus on whether the character is likable. That, is what works for me. I couldn't care less whether the character was Black, White, Hispanic, etc.

If the character is a GOOD character, that's what matters to me.

I'm just excited to be able to play a Werewolf the Apocalypse video game, to be honest. So hopefully, we'll find out soon.

PENTEX SUCKS.

Comment

I've played many games where the protagonist was a Black male, and it was boring. And I've played a number of games where the protagonist was a Black male, and it was awesome(Mafia 3).
                              I seriously doubt this "many" claim... there aren't exactly many games with black male leads, especially discounting things where there aren't real stories for them to be protagonists as opposed to just being prominent characters (sports and fighting games). Like.. could you even name games with explicitly black (not even male) protagonists without player choice (so no build your own character, no pick from a handful of them and there's black options) total, that are equal to the number of games with white male characters of the same standard in the past five years? Because... unless you play a lot of indie games most people have never heard of over any mainstream games... I can't see how the answer is going to be "yes."

You're also focusing on "black" here. My complaint was that they went with generic white guy. As was noted by Ana Mizuki WtA has a lot of reasons for non-white and non-male (two explicitly Native American Tribes, an primarily north African decent Tribe, an Asian Tribe, three highly diverse Tribes, two Tribes with explicitly non-white factions, and one Tribe that's primarily women, plus the all wolf Tribe that's not really relevant to a clearly homid focused game... so almost all the Tribes can have a non-white and/or non-male character with ease).

I didn't say, "why isn't the player character black!?!"

If the character is a GOOD character, that's what matters to me.
                              You know, for all you bitch about me being contrarian, you realize that my initial complaint is that the information provided has every indicator we're getting a boring character, and the choice to go with the default Brown-Haired-White-Guy is simply one of those things, right?

Like I said this part, "....instead of accepting that you picked a white male character and making him interesting for everyone" Which is actively acknowledging that a white male character can be a fun, interesting, and good character to play. We don't actually disagree that having a good character matters a lot more than just the ethnicity of the character alone. Badly written PoC and women characters don't do anything for those of us that care about representation after all.

So you're basically arguing with me for the sake of arguing, not because you even disagree with me on the basics. You just don't feel that the information is an indicator of a bad direction and are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm just excited to be able to play a Werewolf the Apocalypse video game, to be honest.
                              Eh. I'd rather wait another 10 years for a good one, than get a shit one by Christmas. But playing video games of TT RPGs doesn't get me excited on it's face. The most fun parts of WtA for me aren't things video games do well, and I don't need a game to be WtA for me to get my "run around as a feral monster and rip people to shreds" rocks off.

Comment

To be honest, my issue with the white guy protagonist is more the tribe they chose to use. Because, if we look at the tribes that are most likely to be white, the Fianna sadly have the least working concept outside WtA fandom to give an instant 'I get the concept' moment.

Fenrir are Nordic warrior werewolves, Glass Walkers are technological werewolves, Bone Gnawers are street smart homeless werewolves, Children of Gaia are the hippies, Silver Fangs are nobility werewolves and Shadow Lords are edgy dark werewolves. Fianna are the werewolves with traditions of song, war, history and fae. With BNS exising the Fae and me knowing enough about game writing to know we are not gonna get too deep into the song and history, we are left with 'irish warrior'.

Aka, whitey mcwhiteface. With a possible White Howler heritage.

My gallery.

Comment

Working...
                                X