Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess What......New Werewolf TA Computer Game Announced.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Letter
    replied
    What do you think about crinos form?

Leave a comment:

• Fat Larry
    replied
    Originally posted by werewolf43 View Post
    Only three forms....

This was announced shortly after the initial game announcement.

I'm fine with this.

Leave a comment:

• Story Letter
    replied
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVgUAzOWkAASuOc.jpg

Leave a comment:

• werewolf43
    replied
    Only three forms....

Leave a comment:

• Story Letter
    replied
    The crinos artwork is beautiful. It has tattoos.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVb5ykOXkAA-uFw.jpg:large

Though I don't think they will have a video, but I strongly hope for a miracle and enjoy some action.
    Last edited by Story Letter; 02-07-2018, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    It's the new Werewolf 5th edition logo. We have no idea if WW will ask the video game developers to switch to it from the artwork they were using, or if the video game will keep to the current art on their website that's more in-line with the old WtA logos.

Leave a comment:

• Story Letter
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilson View Post
    Throwing multiple fonts together the way they did looks mess
    Is it really an original logo for the future game ?

WAIT !

WHAT!

https://twitter.com/WerewolfVGAME
    Last edited by Story Letter; 02-07-2018, 10:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by NEN View Post
    Finally, I don't like the new WTA logo, it seems like 3 persons designed it and all of them had different ideas about how to make it, I know that's not what happened, but that's how awkward it looks for me. The "erewolf" part doesn't seem to belong there.
    I agree completely with Nen about the logo. Throwing multiple fonts together the way they did looks messy, and I honestly don't see how the WTA setting would inspire a stencil style font in the first place. Replacing letters with glyphs reminds me of leetspeak, and I don't really think that's setting-appropriate either, although it wouldn't look as bad if they used the traditional "werewolf" font throughout.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf-Man View Post
    It's a joke really.
    Ah... no worries. Humor, text, etc.

Yet, I didn't have a clue about any of those words, even when I tried looking for the meanings of Glabro, Crinos & Hispo.
    The Latin root words are: homo, glaber, crinis, hispidus (no idea why they dropped the 'd' here unless someone is a big fan of spiders), and lupus.

In my English speaking ignorance, some of the words just don't gel with me.
    Oh, yeah, absolutely. It's a big issue with WtA using an utter mish-mash of terms. With zero consistency, it's hard for people to get into the names for things. Unfortunately the original WoD creators liked to... well get creative with archaic and rare words from multiple languages. The frequently also used variant spellings as well. I think there's some value in having an in-universe set of terms that aren't just the normal because it gives the setting a bit more of a lived in feeling, but it also needs to make some sort of sense for that to work.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

I'm... still kinda confused...

Telling someone to squint usually means that they should be looking at something more closely/with more detail... but you're saying our reactions are at odds somewhat because of a difference in our initial first glance? Sorry to beat on this point... I'm just, not sure what you're trying to say.
    ​I mean because your eyes are nearly shut, they are seeing less of it or really blurred. It's a joke really. LOL :P

Um... can you clarify this? I'm having a lot of trouble following what you're talking about when. It feels like you're jumping around between Apocalypse, Forsaken... and some hypothetical third take?

The from names roughly translate as: Human, Hairless, Hairy, Bristly, and Wolf; if you assume they're all based on Latin roots. Not that it helps much... Glabro is more hairy than Homid, despite being less than the other three.
    ​Yeah, I guess your right, but it looks like you know what I'm talking about since you repeated a lot of what I said in your own words. Yet, I didn't have a clue about any of those words, even when I tried looking for the meanings of Glabro, Crinos & Hispo. I either got nothing, or something else. I'm sure when it came to Crinos, I had found some vague connection to Minotaur. I didn't know they were all Latin or from the same region. In my English speaking ignorance, some of the words just don't gel with me. Didn't know why the meanings were so obscure/non-existing when I tried to find them myself. I wish they said what you did in the books. Would have made me happier. Normally, I just go Human, Near-Human, Wolf-Person, Near-Wolf, Wolf. Although sounds better to swap the "person" word with "man", but trying to avoid being sexist.

I mean, I agree with that being the emergent property of the form via the RAW. That is Glabro is basically useless outside of specific builds/situations. But the intent of the game was never to have Glabro be a "rest stop" form for bad rolls. Glabro is supposed to be useful, the game just kinda sucks at making it useful.
    ​Well, it's where you begin to oddly more hairy than usual, but the new statistics aren't really paying off until you shifted past it. I'd only use Glabro by accident myself. It would be the rare person find the perfect scene for it.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    ​Of course, you have some points there, with using three different types of font, but next time you do, try squinting.
    I'm... still kinda confused...

Telling someone to squint usually means that they should be looking at something more closely/with more detail... but you're saying our reactions are at odds somewhat because of a difference in our initial first glance? Sorry to beat on this point... I'm just, not sure what you're trying to say.

I don't know much about that other Werewolf game's take on the Near-Human-Shape (I was never fully taken by some of the nonsense terminology either made up or borrowed from Pop Culture for the naming of things in Garou lore. Some it worked out & some of it I just got sick or using myself. I much prefer Ally-Oop to the word Glabro which means nothing to me.) Although, I did buy the core rules out of curiosity (Just like I did the original game.) , but didn't get far through reading it. I was much older and already taken by guide lines set & concepts in the original rules (Second Edition.) I think some of the best ideas were kept, and they made it more......gritty. I then thought if they decided to make a third version of Werewolf marrying the best of the best. I still found Forsaken somewhat lacking in places for what I knew of it.
    Um... can you clarify this? I'm having a lot of trouble following what you're talking about when. It feels like you're jumping around between Apocalypse, Forsaken... and some hypothetical third take?

The from names roughly translate as: Human, Hairless, Hairy, Bristly, and Wolf; if you assume they're all based on Latin roots. Not that it helps much... Glabro is more hairy than Homid, despite being less than the other three.

As So, I see that intermediate stage as nothing more than a rest stop between Homid & Crinos or Lupus (Hispo is quite a lot more useful & a bad example here.) It's there in case you botch that transformation and the Storyteller wants to be fairer than letting your charge turn their body inside out and piss blood everywhere. It like getting at least half you money back from a refund. That small advantage it gives you is at least better than none at all. I can't think of reason why anybody would aim for that one unless they took the FAIR advantage in CC. I know I did in that game years ago.
    I mean, I agree with that being the emergent property of the form via the RAW. That is Glabro is basically useless outside of specific builds/situations. But the intent of the game was never to have Glabro be a "rest stop" form for bad rolls. Glabro is supposed to be useful, the game just kinda sucks at making it useful.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf-Man
    replied
    I don't remember that WTA The Heart of Gaia suffered of development hell and the reason why its development had to be paused for a time before being completely halted, it was because the publishers, ASC Games, went into bankruptcy and the developers, DreamForge, couldn't manage to find another publisher and funds to keep making the game, thus they finally had to drop the project.
    ​Well, that's sounds development hell to me. Every thing just stopped. I remember reading about this for the first time in computer magazine and not the website, which must have already gone underground if memory serves. I think the forums were frozen for a while there before the site was eventually closed down.

About the shapeshifting and 5 forms, I really hope the player can control those and change forms at will. As it was said, there might be a con about that, but, it can easily fixed by seriously penalising the player if he/she uses them when they shouldn't, same way that in VTMB you can't use some Disciplines whenever you want or if you're a Nosferatu, not being able to show your face anywhere on the streets or jump into a taxi, even VTM Redemption had some mechanics for that in the Modern Nights part, you could lose Humanity, which was important in VTMR, and also being attacked by police officers who also made you lose even more Humanity if you killed them.
    It seems there's no a good explanation why they only want to use 3 out of the 5 forms in the game, although, I may understand some of the reasons for that, if it's related to gameplay and design, now if it's about making a lighter version of the lore, just to introduce it to new potential fans, then I don't agree with the decision, just like they're trying to do with the 5th Edition in VTM, they'd remove its identify just in order to gain new fans or appeal to new generations, you know how the supernatural shows and stories are these days. The Glabro and Hispo could be used for different situations, Glabro for situations where you still need to look human-like and get more strength to fight humans or lesser/less powerful Wyrm minions or to force, move and break objects, things like that, meanwhile, Hispo can be used when you need to look like a wolf, yet you need strength for the same reasons given for being in Glabro form. As far as I remember, Lupus will only be used for gaining speed and move fast in the forest.
    I don't know much about that other Werewolf game's take on the Near-Human-Shape (I was never fully taken by some of the nonsense terminology either made up or borrowed from Pop Culture for the naming of things in Garou lore. Some it worked out & some of it I just got sick or using myself. I much prefer Ally-Oop to the word Glabro which means nothing to me.) Although, I did buy the core rules out of curiosity (Just like I did the original game.) , but didn't get far through reading it. I was much older and already taken by guide lines set & concepts in the original rules (Second Edition.) I think some of the best ideas were kept, and they made it more......gritty. I then thought if they decided to make a third version of Werewolf marrying the best of the best. I still found Forsaken somewhat lacking in places for what I knew of it. As for Glabro being made more useful. There was story I always remember from Drums Around the Fire about a lowly ranked Glass-Walker getting roped into asking a rival for help after a falling out with his pack-mates & the elders of his local sept. ( I just got the book off the shelf now, to refresh my memory & relive it a bit. Story is called Gambit by Nigel D. Findley. ) Anyway, not that can exactly find what I remember, but some Garou started to go through a transformation in a official challenge and then it reversed ( A novel way of describing a botched die roll.) on itself. So, I see that intermediate stage as nothing more than a rest stop between Homid & Crinos or Lupus (Hispo is quite a lot more useful & a bad example here.) It's there in case you botch that transformation and the Storyteller wants to be fairer than letting your charge turn their body inside out and piss blood everywhere. It like getting at least half you money back from a refund. That small advantage it gives you is at least better than none at all. I can't think of reason why anybody would aim for that one unless they took the FAIR advantage in CC. I know I did in that game years ago. Does anybody here know of the Seneca Falls game?

Finally, I don't like the new WTA logo, it seems like 3 persons designed it and all of them had different ideas about how to make it, I know that's not what happened, but that's how awkward it looks for me. The "erewolf" part doesn't seem to belong there.
    ​Now I see the lettering does look a bit off..
    Last edited by Wolf-Man; 02-05-2018, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf-Man
    replied
    Can you define what you mean by simplicity here? I'm really not sure what you mean by it in this context.
    ​I think just comes down to both of us not agreeing on it's look really. When I said Simplicity, I was referring to how I just looked at it without looking at it that much that I saw as much as you did.

Of course, you have some points there, with using three different types of font, but next time you do, try squinting.

Leave a comment:

• Story
    replied
    Man, I just really want this to come out. Glad to hear its still kicking, I'll try to temper my excitement until I see a trailer.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Also, any technical issues with Heart of Gaia are only so relevant... it's 18 years later, gaming tech has progressed a lot.

The issue with the five forms is that in WtA, Glabro and Hispo are really situational. Glabro still causes reduced Delirium, so you can't just run around in it (unless you take the right Merits and a few Gifts/Fetishes can make it worth it). You basically only take it when: (1) you don't roll well enough/have a Flaw the forces you into it, (2) You need access to full regeneration and either can't afford to shift through all the forms to get there or need to stay roughly human, and (3) there's a very narrow window of situations where you can get away with Glabro, but can't Crinos. Hispo is Crinos for people that don't want to bother with hands. Your bites are better than unmodified Crinos bites or claws. You're generally more mobile. You take Crinos over Hispo because hands are useful, there's more claw boost Gifts than bite ones, and most combat Fetishes are designed for it. If you're not fighting Hispo is basically worse in every way than Lupus unless (Lupus has a perception bonus over Hispo, is a bit faster, etc.) you're playing a Lupus and need to regeneration (though frequently Homid is just as good and also not Delirium inducing).

There are most certainly ways to fix it. Forsaken 2e made sure to take some very significant steps towards what each form is for in that game. Near human is toned down in how obvious it is, so you can use it around normal humans more often, and has a fun bonus called "Badass Motherfucker" that lets you clear away anyone your target is hiding among, or even is actively protecting the target. It even works on supernatural critters; you can walk up to a pack and their family, and get them to give up on of theirs for a beating if you roll well enough. It also is the default rites form. Near wolf gets "Weaken the Prey" which lets you inflict physical status effects on your first attack against a target that scene (so things like crippling an arm or leg without needing to make a called shot), to make up for not being as potent as full war form can be.

But... putting in those bonuses is going to confuse people if they come to the normal game and don't find them there. If you make a WtA game where Glabro is a social bonus (or at least an intimidation bonus without being a social penalty), and Hispo is less combat capable than Crinos but debuffs targets instead... old fans are going to be annoyed, and new folks are going to get confused.

There are definitely ways you can make it work, which rely heavily on the Rage and Delirium mechanics the game uses in the first place. So it's hard to say exactly how tolerable sticking to three would be until we know what's what with other parts of the game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X