Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werewolf: The Podcast

Hi Folks,

I recently started a podcast focused on Werewolf: The Apocalypse. This is a retrospective podcast where I review the books, from day 1. Next week is our first full episode on WtA 1st Edition.

www.werewolfpodcast.com

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...t/id1344601544

Find my products on the ST Vault here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/pro...iate_id=235787

I'll keep ah ear on you sir.

Comment

Not to come off harsh, but there are some things I take a bit of issue. First, you really should have either expanded Episode Zero to further cover the basics of WtA, it's setting and the WoD, or folded into the beginning of Episode One. And frankly I would not have made this thread until I had an actual proper episode because you've given us pretty much nothing.

Second, shorten the opening and closing music. It's just dead space that doesn't do anything. Also, get rid of that awful repetitive wolf howl. If you truly want the howl, play it once.

Third, Metis is pronounced māˈtēs. It's an important word in WtA and a real word so you should learn how to say it correctly. Though that might just be my Canadian-ness showing through as the Metis are a recognized Aboriginal group in Canada and a part of our history.

And finally, this is more of a concern at the moment, born out of comments you made in Episode Zero and the first two podcasts in the que have left me concerned over the direction of the podcast. Namely, the SJW stuff. Personally, while I do agree with some of what they believe in and advocate, I disagree with just as much. And I find plenty of them just as bad as the people they fight against. So you can probably see my concerns.

WtA and the rest of WoD has a history with various social issues as well as rather infamous moments and material in their books. Should they be discussed in a retrospective podcast? Yes. That said, my fear, compounded by what little you've actually given us so far, is that those parts of WtA and the general SJW message will dominate the podcast which is something I personally don't want in a retrospective WoD podcast.

I'm probably wrong in my concerns but again, you've given us next to nothing here.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post
        Third, Metis is pronounced māˈtēs. It's an important word in WtA and a real word so you should learn how to say it correctly. Though that might just be my Canadian-ness showing through as the Metis are a recognized Aboriginal group in Canada and a part of our history.
        I don't bother to use the correct pronunciation of Metis. My group says it like met-iz. Part of that is because us Texans mispronounce everything, but also because using a term that is obviously French seems weird as hell ('garou' and 'ronin' also seem pretty bizarre).

And finally, this is more of a concern at the moment, born out of comments you made in Episode Zero and the first two podcasts in the que have left me concerned over the direction of the podcast. Namely, the SJW stuff. Personally, while I do agree with some of what they believe in and advocate, I disagree with just as much. And I find plenty of them just as bad as the people they fight against.
        Totally agree.

Comment

AkatsukiLeader13: Keep in mind that pejorative use of the term SJW is considered a rule 1 violation.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

My apologies. I did not mean to cause offense or violate the rules. As I said, I do agree with some of the beliefs of that community. Nor was I trying to dismiss or demean their beliefs.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Not to come off harsh, but there are some things I take a bit of issue. First, you really should have either expanded Episode Zero to further cover the basics of WtA, it's setting and the WoD, or folded into the beginning of Episode One. And frankly I would not have made this thread until I had an actual proper episode because you've given us pretty much nothing.

Second, shorten the opening and closing music. It's just dead space that doesn't do anything. Also, get rid of that awful repetitive wolf howl. If you truly want the howl, play it once.

And finally, this is more of a concern at the moment, born out of comments you made in Episode Zero and the first two podcasts in the que have left me concerned over the direction of the podcast. Namely, the SJW stuff. Personally, while I do agree with some of what they believe in and advocate, I disagree with just as much. And I find plenty of them just as bad as the people they fight against. So you can probably see my concerns.

WtA and the rest of WoD has a history with various social issues as well as rather infamous moments and material in their books. Should they be discussed in a retrospective podcast? Yes. That said, my fear, compounded by what little you've actually given us so far, is that those parts of WtA and the general SJW message will dominate the podcast which is something I personally don't want in a retrospective WoD podcast.

I'm probably wrong in my concerns but again, you've given us next to nothing here.

Hey, thank you for the feedback. I had initially rolled this introduction into episode 1, but I felt it made episode 1 a lot of ramble and it wasn't very focused. I pulled it out to help the flow of the episode.

Others have noted the introduction is too long and I have cut it down in the later episodes.

I'm familiar with the origin of the word Métis, as I stated in the episode I intentionally pronounce it differently to emphasize that it isn't the same word that is used to refer to a First Nations People. For me that is a helpful way of distinguishing from and not insulting said Nation.

Also, yes I care about social justice and run projects with that focus. I will discuss some of how Werewolf interacts with those elements as I review the game. In general I will review the game as I find it from my perspective today and the perspective I had when I first played through some of these books.

Find my products on the ST Vault here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/pro...iate_id=235787

Comment

I decided to publish Episode 1 early for anyone that would like to check it out.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-rhjgr-862d73

Comment

Originally posted by InclusiveGaming View Post

I'm familiar with the origin of the word Métis, as I stated in the episode I intentionally pronounce it differently to emphasize that it isn't the same word that is used to refer to a First Nations People. For me that is a helpful way of distinguishing from and not insulting said Nation.
                  We do the same thing. I honestly wish they would change the name or something along those lines.

I'm also very happy you mentioned the problematic issues with the names Uktena and Wendigo. I'm Native, and those names really took me back. We have a similar entity as the Uktena, and we never discuss it outside of certain times. The Wendigo is largely the same, and we can only talk about it when snow is on the ground, and even then.
                  Last edited by Onkwe; 02-08-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Onkwe View Post

We do the same thing. I honestly wish they would change the name or something along those lines.

I'm also very happy you mentioned the problematic issues with the names Uktena and Wendigo. I'm Native, and those names really took me back. We have a similar entity as the Uktena, and we never discuss it outside of certain times. The Wendigo is largely the same, and we can only talk about it when snow is on the ground, and even then.

Yeah, if there were anything I would want to see changed in Werewolf 5th edition it is these elements. When I get to the tribe books I plan to use the name of these tribes once and then use euphemisms like Ice-Heart and Bane-Tenders afterward.

I'm also looking to do an interview episode with Native WoD fans. If that would be something you'd be interested in being a part of, let me know. :-)

Comment

Yeah, if there were anything I would want to see changed in Werewolf 5th edition it is these elements. When I get to the tribe books I plan to use the name of these tribes once and then use euphemisms like Ice-Heart and Bane-Tenders afterward.
                      At least for me, I can differentiate discussing a fictional interpretation of what they are in the game, and discussing the RL versions in our spirituality. So it's all good, but I appreciate that.

I'm also looking to do an interview episode with Native WoD fans. If that would be something you'd be interested in being a part of, let me know. :-)
                      I'll think about it.

Comment

Episode 2 is out! https://keepontheheathlands.podbean....ge-1517779009/

Comment

Episode 3, Rage Across New York

Comment

Rite of Passage and RANY were some of the last Werewolf books I read, so they were odd AF to read hindsight. New York being an epic shithole is also funny to think about too.

One thing I did like about RoP was the individual info on each tribe's general passage rite.

RANY too had some good ideas for setting up intertribal politics and the initial concept for protectorates. There's a chapter by chapter review on here that's pretty in depth.

As for the 7th Gen, they were wiped out after Albrecht took over. They were also completely disavowed in 2E Book of the Wyrm as an example of what not to do when making a Wyrm cult.

Comment

Yeah, New York has changed so drastically from when this book was written it isn't funny. I also liked that about RoP. Overall I think it has a lot of positive qualities to it.

Episode 4, Ways of the Wolf is out now too

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-nwwhr-86b884

Comment

Working...
                              X