Other Umbral Realms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Umbral Realms

I'm looking at sources through the editions for Near Umbral Realms (or Middle Umbral in Mage terms) beyond the major 14 (counting Malfeas) known to the Western Garou.

Hengeyokai seems to have the best list of alternate Realms, though obviously some are just different perspectives of the ones known to the Western Garou.

Realm of Fighting Spirits - indistinguishable from the Battleground. Some sources talk about these realms being "connected", but even that seems unnecessary. They're just the same place.

Umi, the Dragon Kingdom of the Sea - this came up in a discussion about Umbral Realms known to the Rokea (http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...9-sea-s-soul); I thought it might be interesting if Umi was beneath the waves of the Legendary Realm, thus giving the Same-Bito and Porpoise warriors and Crab guardians threats to fight against in the form of other undersea kingdoms (ala ruined cities of Deep Ones, great leviathan sea monsters, etc etc)

The Mountains of Heaven - the Hengeyokai book explicitly speculates that this may be among the cloud "floor" of the Aetherial Realm, which makes sense to me

Tiger Lands - no idea on this one, so presumably a unique Realm that the Western Garou don't know. However it doesn't come up in later books, so other authors may have felt as I do that it doesn't seem to add a lot on its own. Places like the Tribal Homelands are more interesting locals to hunt down the Animal Incarnae if you need an audience... that said... see "Goblin Jungle"

Gardens of the First Age - Summer Country

The Goblin Jungle - Another realm without a strong Western equivalent, so I'm inclined to add it to the count as its own Realm. I was thinking though, in the interest of it having more than one thing going on, it could be conceptually combined with the Tiger Lands. So the many Animal Incarnae hold court here, but the stretches between them are hunted by ever mutating Wyld/Wyrm hybrid monsters

Temple of the Ancestors - this is my explanation as to why there don't appear to be Hakken Ancestor Spirits in the Shadow Lord Homeland, nor do they have a Homeland of their own - the Temple of the Ancestors IS the shared "Homeland" for the entire Beast Courts.

Cave of Centipede - is just the Labyrinth of WtO?

Lord Spider's Web - seems just to be a Pattern Web over some corner of the Abyss

Desert of Visions - Here's another Realm that may be worthy of adding to the count of Realms in its own right; it MIGHT be another way of viewing the Atrocity Realm, but it seems too specifically tailored and otherwise empty for that. I was thinking this could be the sources of the rumors of the desert that serves as the Mokole punishment Realm (mentioned in the Revised Umbra book, but rejected as false rumor in W20 Umbra), and my idea in the Rokea post linked above for "No Sea", an empty desert of salt where the Rokea have Gnosis starved dehydrated visions

The Forbidden Lands - this is interesting; on one hand it fits some descriptions of parts of Malfeas, the Black Spiral Homeland, or even Scar; but a Realm that's specifically a future vision of the whole earth is a potentially cool niche in its own right. I was thinking of using the "Ragnarok" scenario in Apocalypse as the basis for this Realm.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Which source books are you using for reference? If you list what you've already got, we might be able to suggest other resources, but I don't want to suggest something that you've already got and are looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post
      Which source books are you using for reference? If you list what you've already got, we might be able to suggest other resources, but I don't want to suggest something that you've already got and are looking at.

This list comes from Hengeyokai. But I've been referencing all three Umbra sourcebooks.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
      X