Wendigo technical problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wendigo technical problem

have you ever had a player who wants to play a Wendigo outside America/ Russia?
    Now, for example, 4 on 5 players wanna play in Europe as setting.
    We all know that the Wendigo are all native american, or at least ( Evan Heals the Past) they must have native ancestry, even if it's distant, to be accepted by Wendigo himslef.

Now, from the new MET book:

''Wendigo calls his children through a song of blood and revenge. While many of the tribe’s members come from Native American tribes, more and more are answering from farther afield. The revival of Russian and Siberian bloodlines thought long-extinct has proven to be a boon to the numbers of the tribe. Lineages thought dormant from the Russian steppes hear the song of Wendigo and now rise at the beckoning of their totem. The influx of new and old blood caused some division within the tribe’s conservative elements, but most agree that their bond with Wendigo matters far more than ties of blood. ''

What are you going to propose and do if someone wants to play a wendigo outside america/siberia, using the MET setting (only setting, but in pen and paper)?

-'' When the winds howl and the Storms rage, where will you run?''-

How far away? Like, it's not hard for there to be people of Sami (and thus revived Wendigo kin) in Northern Europe, and ever Eastern/Western Europe (though probably like Evan Heals-the-Past, of mixed ancestry) who would just be locals. Even if the idea of a Wendigo being born in, say, Poland would strike people as absurd. Farther away, and the reason can be as simple as a Cliath being sent to a distant Sept to learn more about the other Tribes or various Auspice specific topics. A Theurge might be sent to study rites that a Caern suddenly flush with new Garou doesn't have access to. A Philodox might be sent to a multicultural Sept to learn more of the oral aspect of the Litany besides the core tenets as to better know how to interpret the laws of their people. Etc.

A lot of Wendigo suddenly popping up in places that haven't been traditionally Wendigo since before the Wendigo left for the Americas is a perfect chance for a traveler Wendigo that needs to learn stuff and one day go back to their home Sept to pass on that knowledge; or do things like forge alliances to build up Moonbridges.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      How far away? Like, it's not hard for there to be people of Sami (and thus revived Wendigo kin) in Northern Europe, and ever Eastern/Western Europe (though probably like Evan Heals-the-Past, of mixed ancestry) who would just be locals. Even if the idea of a Wendigo being born in, say, Poland would strike people as absurd. Farther away, and the reason can be as simple as a Cliath being sent to a distant Sept to learn more about the other Tribes or various Auspice specific topics. A Theurge might be sent to study rites that a Caern suddenly flush with new Garou doesn't have access to. A Philodox might be sent to a multicultural Sept to learn more of the oral aspect of the Litany besides the core tenets as to better know how to interpret the laws of their people. Etc.

A lot of Wendigo suddenly popping up in places that haven't been traditionally Wendigo since before the Wendigo left for the Americas is a perfect chance for a traveler Wendigo that needs to learn stuff and one day go back to their home Sept to pass on that knowledge; or do things like forge alliances to build up Moonbridges.

You hitted the target well.
      Exaclty what I was thinking about. Talking about ancestry from the steppes it can sounds ''heretical'' to think about Wendigo in , I don't know, poland or hungary or even somewhere on the carpathians or in any place in the eurasian steppe or sami territory, but actually in ancient time some wendigo kin maybe followed some steppe people like the huns, magyars, avars, bulgars and so on. It can be a great idea for a chronicle after the war against the Dark Brigade, to find lost wendigo kin across the world.

But a the same time... a part of me feels really weird about this idea.

Comment

If you want your game to be set in Europe, why not find a reason for a Wendigo born in Russia to move Westward to Europe? Do you specifically want the character to be culturally European rather than culturally Russian or American, or is it okay for a character simply to have a compelling reason to up and move to Europe?

Comment

My own rule of thumb for my games has long been that about 99% of homid Wendigo are at least one quarter (and more likely at least half) Native American/First Nations decent, usually those of the Northeastern Woodlands, Great Lakes, Great Planes, Pacific Northwest, and Arctic Circle regions, with a notable minority of Southwestern extraction (Navajo and Apache, among others). Beyond that, there are those Greenlandic Inuit, the Yukaghir, Nivhk, Koryaks, Chukchi, Itelmens, Yupik, and Even peoples of the eastern most reaches of Siberia, and the Ainu of Hokkaido and the edges of Siberia. There are a very tiny few in the northern most edges of Norway among the Sami population, but they've never been that numerous, even before a group of Uktena moved in after WW2 and started poaching their breeding stock. My Siberian Wendigo largely avoid the other tribes, only occasionally having contact with local Red Talons and some Central Asian Uktena and Silent Striders. My Ainu Wendigo prefer to keep apart from the Beast Courts, owing to long standing conflicts with the Hakken, but do have minor contact with local Gurahl (who are still around in my. games). Anything beyond that and I'd have to be sold on it by the player. I'm usually an easy sell, as long as it's not something ludicrous.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

People can travel. Honestly North America is big, just because its connected by land doesn't mean Florida is any closer to Wendigo traditional territory than Poland is. This is before the obvious "Planes and Moon bridges exist"

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
              My own rule of thumb for my games has long been that about 99% of homid Wendigo are at least one quarter (and more likely at least half) Native American/First Nations decent, usually those of the Northeastern Woodlands, Great Lakes, Great Planes, Pacific Northwest, and Arctic Circle regions, with a notable minority of Southwestern extraction (Navajo and Apache, among others). Beyond that, there are those Greenlandic Inuit, the Yukaghir, Nivhk, Koryaks, Chukchi, Itelmens, Yupik, and Even peoples of the eastern most reaches of Siberia, and the Ainu of Hokkaido and the edges of Siberia. There are a very tiny few in the northern most edges of Norway among the Sami population, but they've never been that numerous, even before a group of Uktena moved in after WW2 and started poaching their breeding stock. My Siberian Wendigo largely avoid the other tribes, only occasionally having contact with local Red Talons and some Central Asian Uktena and Silent Striders. My Ainu Wendigo prefer to keep apart from the Beast Courts, owing to long standing conflicts with the Hakken, but do have minor contact with local Gurahl (who are still around in my. games). Anything beyond that and I'd have to be sold on it by the player. I'm usually an easy sell, as long as it's not something ludicrous.

yea, well, when we played with the 20th or revised setting, I was the same: half or at least a quarter native american or you're not a wendigo.

By the way, now we will start a chronicle with the MET setting, as I said.
              I think that with the ''While many of the tribe’s members come from Native American tribes, more and more are answering from farther afield'' I will allow people to play a wendigo eveng with far ancestry from native americans, yakut, siberian, sami or mongolian-east north asian heritage. I really like the idea of ''new blood'' and the profile of Evan ( that actually looks 100% white and his native ancestor was lost 4 generation before him).

What's your opinion about it ? of course this kind of characters must be changed near wendigo territories to be finded by the totem and the tribe. Places like russia, siberia, northern scandinavia, eurasian steppe or so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Helur View Post

What's your opinion about it ? of course this kind of characters must be changed near wendigo territories to be finded by the totem and the tribe. Places like russia, siberia, northern scandinavia, eurasian steppe or so on.
                I feel that's like saying you anything but a Wendigo or Uktena of other tribes need to Change in Europe for it to count. Totems find theirown.

Comment

I always found the membership to a tribe, or even being chosen to be part of a tribe, based on ancestry and possible travel highly circumstantial. A bit like finding an explanation to justify a special snowflake. The reason for this is that in my opinion there is more to it than simply ancestry, possibly mixed over several generations. There is also culture. I believe one has to have at least some contact to the northern native american recently, to be considered Wendigo Kinfolk. And to preserve once way of life one would have to relocate with a group large enough to not get assimilated into the culture predominant in the area one settles to. Meaning that a bunch of north american natives that for some reason settled in lets say Poland for some reason, would only count as Kinfolk to the Wendigo tribe, if over generations they would have maintained large chunks of their culture and not integrated into Poland's culture, by giving their children polish names, celebrate polish holidays and identify themselves as polish.
                  Sure, the example has its flaws but you get what I mean.

If there was something I would change in WtA (that's another topic I just found returning to the forums after a long time), then it is the ever increasing lifting of restriction imposed on character options by tribes in early editions, that now all seem too intolerant. Well, getting rid of them is WtA's very own revising history.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
                    I always found the membership to a tribe, or even being chosen to be part of a tribe, based on ancestry and possible travel highly circumstantial. A bit like finding an explanation to justify a special snowflake. The reason for this is that in my opinion there is more to it than simply ancestry, possibly mixed over several generations. There is also culture. I believe one has to have at least some contact to the northern native american recently, to be considered Wendigo Kinfolk. And to preserve once way of life one would have to relocate with a group large enough to not get assimilated into the culture predominant in the area one settles to. Meaning that a bunch of north american natives that for some reason settled in lets say Poland for some reason, would only count as Kinfolk to the Wendigo tribe, if over generations they would have maintained large chunks of their culture and not integrated into Poland's culture, by giving their children polish names, celebrate polish holidays and identify themselves as polish.
                    Sure, the example has its flaws but you get what I mean.

So No Tribes functionally exist except the Bonegnawers and Glasswalkers right?

Comment

I suspect that in the case of MET/LARPing, there's the issue of "I want to play a Wendigo, but not only am I not Native American, I really couldn't pass for one even with top notch costuming and make up, and even if I could, I'd be uncomfortable doing what might be considered 'red-face' even if I have only the best of intentions in doing so." Hence, Evan Heals the Past becomes a minority instead of an oddity. I've never really found that to be an issue when doing table top (and even less so online), but some people may feel differently. I confess that I'm not really even clear on how or why MET Werewolf: The Apocalypse would be a different setting than tabletop Werewolf: The Apocalypse.
                      Last edited by No One of Consequence; 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                        I confess that I'm not really even clear on how or why MET Werewolf: The Apocalypse would be a different setting than tabletop Werewolf: The Apocalypse.
                        Because Onyx Path and By Night Studios have different takes on the world, with BNS seeming to decide to more radically break with what came before(and only being right about Kitsune)

Comment

Hmm. OK then. Thanks for clearing that up.

What did they do with the Kitsune, out of curiosity?

Comment

Wendigo could travel to other places. One of my favorite Wendigo NPCs was the surfer guy in Rage Across Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Onkwe View Post
                              Wendigo could travel to other places. One of my favorite Wendigo NPCs was the surfer guy in Rage Across Australia.
                              I remember him. He was fun. A pity what happened to him in Rokea.

Comment

Working...
                              X