Fanon - Tribebook Bunyip (WIP)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lian View Post

IF you think Thylacines are cool own it. I feel though that by giving non Thylacine kin as an option it undermines the idea, especially if you get them have Dingo kin. I guess my question should be what is added by having both Thylacine and Dingo kin?

One of the arguments the foreign Garou made to justify the war of tears was that the Bunyip weren't doing their job, that this place farthest from the wyrm wasn't thriving in ways they foreign Garou thought thing should thrive. That they had bred with "unacceptable" creatures and wasted these perfectly good kin. In the 19th century where countless wolf kin stomping grounds had been wiped from the planet while the Dingo were relatively untouched this was practically a crime especially to the Red Talons.

If the Desire is there to give a backdoor excuse for potential survival, Thylacines sightings have been a thing both on the mainland in Tasmania since its official extinction. Saying the more advanced kinfolk had survived along with a few newly changed to keep them hidden wouldn't be a stretch.
    For me, the way I see thing it's a chronology thing wherein, I always felt there was a void between the The War of Tear and their arrival in Australia. Sure they can travel th Umbra, but I always felt there should be an intermediate period betwwen those two event. and that's a bit what I this thread/Fanon is addressing. I see their history as:

Dawn of Time to End of War of Rage
    • ​The (Proto-Bunyip) lives in the Tibet/China area with thier Wolf-Kin
    End of the War of Rage to Arrival in Australia
    • The (Proto-Bunyip) flee the angry Garou Nation and hide in what is Southeast Asia and the Indonesian/Philippines Islands. As there is no wolves, they take wild dog and Dhole as mate to avoid losing the wolf.
    • Discovered by the Garou (or maybe just a good close call scare, they escape through the Umbra and arrive in a land where they have no wolf.There are some humans, some of which are distant kinfolk to them.
    • Aside from a few Isolated individuals or small packs, only human and Canid Kinfolks are left behind.
    After their arrival in Australia
    • With the Help of the Fera the (Proto-Bunyip) takes the thylacine as mate to avoid losing the wolf and become the Bumyip.
    • The lost (Proto-Bunyip) and their kinfolks lives on. They keep their number low and over time becomes an offshoot/bloodline.
    • When dingos make thier way to Australia, some of them are kinfolk and are recognised as such by the Bunyip, but they are no longer able ot breed with them so mostly ignore them (but they do take advantage of human kinfolks that do cross over to Australia when that happens).
    So while it might not be perfect and still leaves a few question marks, it gives (IMO) a more coherent continuity in the tribe's history. and allows us to tie the Singing Dog into the nation (as an offshoot more closely resembling the Hakken or the Boli Zouhisze than a hybrid bloodline like the Siberakh or the Los Infelizo).

And yes, if the rumors of the Thylacines survival are true, there might be a few kinfolk amoungst them, which would, potentially, allow for a rare Bunyip Ronin to be born of Kinfolk.
    Last edited by Boneguard; 03-13-2018, 01:59 AM. Reason: Corrected from War of Tears to War of Rage

Project consolidation:
    Rough Draft: Dhole Shifters, Ottawa By Night, Tribebook Bunyip, Garou Variant
    In redaction: Lasombra Bloodline

Comment

I thought the War of Tears was the genocide that wiped out the Bunyip - are you confusing it with the War of Rage, or am I confused?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

glamourweaver

Thank you for pointing this out, the error has been corrected. "War of Rage" was the one I meant, and the War of Tears was indeed the genocide of the Bunyip.

I typed this too quickly and didn't double check before pressing sent.

Project consolidation:

Comment

Originally posted by The Cat Came Back View Post
          And then cue a century and a half of the Western Garou trying to figure out how Garou could have ever been marsupials. Were they "real" garou? Were they just a remarkably similar fera breed in the form of Nuwisha or Ajaba? Who know, they're dead now.
          To complicate the questions further, I’d make Bunyip (human) kinfolk completely compatible with werewolves (which Fera kinfolk aren’t). Yes, the Bunyip were Garou, yes this means the Garou were kinslayers. No, Gaia isn’t happy, which is part of the reason why the Australian Umbra is now so hostile to Garou.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Boneguard, I think you are are creating a problem to solve with the Protobunyip. Modern Humans (and presumably the Bunyip) were in Australia relatively early. Within 2000 years give or take of the Banestorm/Toma explosion. Modern humans would later head north into what we consider asia proper. Your protoBunyip would have to have archaic humankin for this to work... so they both overtime would have shed both of their initial kintypes?

On the otherhand Native Australian and Melanesian people IRL have denosovian admixture vs Neanderthal of other ethnic groups, while the majority of Fera focused on the Neanderthal intially until the Ananasi decided to "solve' them. so maybe thee's somthing to work from there.

Finally it seems that as time has moved on and our understanding of Modern human migration increased irl for the Bunyip to be in Australia does seem to push them back before much of the war of rage(at least as of Shattered Dreams), it definately pushes them preimperigum possibly even before the Garou hit Europe proper. They seem to have in some fashion been the "First" break away from the One Tribe. Or at least the first one that has survived. Perhaps you could use that?

Comment

@Lian

I see what you mean. Man were in Indonesia/Australia about 50k to 60k years ago (versus 5k for dingo) and Northern Asia more around 25k to 35k years ago.

Might indeed need a bit of tweaking.
              Last edited by Boneguard; 03-14-2018, 03:24 AM.

Project consolidation:

Comment

Originally posted by Boneguard View Post
                @Lien

I see what you mean. Man were in Indonesia/Australia about 50k to 60k years ago (versus 5k for dingo) and Northern Asia more around 25k to 35k years ago.

Might indeed need a bit of tweaking.

Perhaps the early Denesovian/Wolf changer from Northern Asia pushed SE during the banestorm as that's the place to "Fight the wyrm" this might even explain in modern times why Oceanic peoples have the highest admixture with Denesovians.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                  Perhaps the early Denesovian/Wolf changer from Northern Asia pushed SE during the banestorm as that's the place to "Fight the wyrm" this might even explain in modern times why Oceanic peoples have the highest admixture with Denesovians.
                  That could work and I could either:
                  • keep most of the element from post #16 but have the migration happen much earlier the officially stated;
                  • Make the Bunyip it own specie (or a much earlier offshoot of the Garou) and have a "new" Garou tribe flee the War of Rage and populate the indonasian/New-guinea area, with some moving to Australia and cohabitate with the Bunyip. The War of Tears occurs because the Bunyip protected that tribe that were also descendant of the Denesovian men against the Garou who eventually destroyed both.
                  going to have to sleep on it today.

Project consolidation:

Comment

After a bit of thought, I may have something.

so early in Garou History, a pack of Denisovan/wolf changer split up from the core group heading east for (Reason TBD). The bulk of them went SE and made it to Australia, after a brief period in Indonesia where a few remained: they took on the Thylacine as kin and became the Bunyip. Another group headed NE to settle in a range near Russian, China, Mongolia and took the Tibetan and Mongolian wolf as kin. Those Denisovan/wolf changer left in Asia and Southeast Asia allied with the local Fera (a kind of proto- or early Beast Court alliance).

The War of Rage comes and this Garou tribe fought alongside the Fera, causing the ire of the Garou who labelled them as traitor and after the War hunted them down, but could not dedicate themselves to it as completely as they wanted, allowing them to hide in the Indonesia/PhilPhilippines area. (Eventually a group of Shadowlord horrified by what had happen joined the Beast Court to fill the role the "lost" tribe once held as a form of penance be coming the Hakken). Some eventually moved on to Australia were they filled up the rank of their distant kin (I might add in a few more recent arrival with Dingo stock that would have coexist with their non canid cousins).

the Garou eventually arrives and finding the traitors goes on a rampage destroying both them and the Bunyip who were defending their kin. Garou comes up with a half-baked excuse and ignore a few historical facts to justify their action and take advantage of the dingo kinfolk to avoid losing the wolf.

It's not perfect, but it allows for a better blend of Garou Lore and historical migratory accuracy. It also provide a better reason for the conflict between the 2 Garou factions in the War of Rage
                    Last edited by Boneguard; 03-14-2018, 06:05 PM.

Project consolidation:

Comment

If we are using the shattered Dreams timeline, much of the war of rage hadn't really happened by the time the Bunyip had broken off with the rest of the Garou, generally the rest of the Breed were in the Levant and Northern Africa at this time, with some having pushed into Europe to take Neandtheral mixes. They hadn't broken with the other breeds yet though mixed changing breed caerns had become rarer at this time.

The Rainbow Serpent is intimately tied to Australia in ways no other Tribal totem is, its rather unique like this the only other one that comes close is Wendigo. Perhaps the call of the Rainbow Serpent might be a better driving point for the Bunyip, the Garou could still see them as traitors to "the one tribe" at first and over time it gets handed down in different ways. As they were seen as traitors this would have been a rather violent break.

Then instead of having a single protobunyip they could be from various areas as they heard the call of the Dreamsong to protect Australia.

Comment

@Lian

Interesting idea. Could explain the migration of the Denisovan

Project consolidation:

Comment

Here is a rough draft of the Patron Totem Spirit for these early Denosivan/Wolf Changer protobunyip.

Known by many names across the land, wild man is the Spirit of the elusive Man-Ape Cryptid of legends. Although many sightings have been reported, none were ever discovered. Wild man could be anywhere, discreetly observing, taking notes of his surrounding and using this knowledge to adapt and survive to any condition. He expect his Children to be of similar temperment.

Wild man
                          • Type: ? Unsure between Wisdom and Cunning
                          • Totem Background Cost: ?? traits
                          • Description: Wild man is a secretive and elusive spirit, that is rarely seens, but aware of a lot.
                          • Benefits: You gain the abilities Stealth x3 and Survival x3. (? I'm also debating with potential bonus in Enigma, Subterfuge and stepping sideway)
                          • Drawback: ?? probably none
                          • Ban: A Garou who follows Wild man, must show great discretion and never reveal themselve (or reveal any known secret) unduly.

Project consolidation:

Comment

In Rage Across the Wordl (W20), there are a group of werewolves in New Guinea with the New Guinea singing dog as their Kinfolk. Their "tribal" totem is Bird of Paradise. Perhaps they are survivors of the original Bunyip tribe.

Comment

Originally posted by Magus View Post
                              In Rage Across the Wordl (W20), there are a group of werewolves in New Guinea with the New Guinea singing dog as their Kinfolk. Their "tribal" totem is Bird of Paradise. Perhaps they are survivors of the original Bunyip tribe.
                              The plan is to tie them in. Probably as an offshoot similar to the Hakken rather than the Siberakh, but I'll see how it will turn out. But Rage across the World, Shattered Dreams and Rage across Australia will be "must read" material.

Project consolidation:

Comment

I wouldn’t suggest putting too much stock in Rage Across Australia. It’s not a shining point of werewolf (or Australia) material.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                                X