Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing Gnosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sharing Gnosis

    I was just wondering if people allow this? Like, two werewolves, say an ahroun and a theurge. After the battle, ahroun is badly beaten and the theurge is running low on gnosis, could the ahroun, who still has all of his gnosis share it with the theurge? Garou can give it to spirits, garou are part spirit, so I see no reason why not. I wouldn't allow the sharing of rage, but gnosis? It seems to be a form of currency so I don't see why not. Perhaps having to do it in the umbra or a low gauntlet area?

  • #2
    Rage Across Egypt has a Rite that pretty much does this on page 119.

    Rite of the Sacred gift lvl 3 Mystic
    "This rite, known only to the Children of Gaia (and Jesal Voice of the Sands) was developed centuries ago in an attempt to combat Set's Curse. It simply allows one werewolf to shunt his Gnosis into another. In theory, this rite could be used to transfer Gnosis to or from Fera as well, but this has never been attempted (at least not in the knowledge of anyone living).

    The rite is simple enough to perform: The rite master drinks from a cup, lifts it up and utters a blessing, and then while still holding it, tilts it so that the recipient can drink. If the cup leaves the rite master's hands at any time during the rite, the ritual is disrupted and the Gnosis is lost.

    System: Whoever controls the rite master must roll wits+rituals (difficulty 7) and spend the Gnosis that she wishes to grant the recipient. A botch indicates that the rite master has dropped the cup of water and that any Gnosis she spends is lost (and may well attract local soul-drinkers). As long as the roll succeeds, the recipient absorbs the Gnosis and adds it to her pool (to a maximum of her permanent score, of course).

    Since Gnosis is a rather big deal, I'd allow it but stick to this rite to make the exchange not an easy quick way to break the system (if I remember right, its 10 minutes per level for a rite, so 30 minutes for this). That's some time and gear invested to make it happen but its doable. I wouldn't be really upset for this rite to be more common then the description gives it. The point of its rarity in Rage Across Egypt was to give people a chance to play Silent Strides while still making Set's curse come off as a major factor in the setting.

    Comment


    • #3
      That does seem odd that a rite is required to do it when you can just do it to a spirit. I agree it should take some kind of special knowledge.....but yeah, the way Rage Across Egypt is written, it looks like someone said, "if they can just give it to spirits, they could just give it to each other thus mitigating the curse. We better do something about that."

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Thkaal View Post
        That does seem odd that a rite is required to do it when you can just do it to a spirit.
        Garou are just half-spirits. I do not reccomend you to give them more innate powers than already written. It can surly inbalance your game.

        A Theurge should have some common sense & restrainment with her Gnosis usage. If she would throw it like there were an unlimited supply I'd throw her some minus Wisdom / Honor.
        Gnosis come from the spiritual world and should be (in my worldveiw) somehow revered.


        Comment


        • #5
          Im the theurge in my current group and this has come up before, both me and the ST agreed on it as well. Passing Gnosis between garou is something either taboo or unknown, Gnosis from each auspice might be 'flavored' a certain way and the receiver might be affected in a way plus an ahroun might not have enough Gnosis to pass on without affecting them. My way around this? Making talens and fetishes able to store Gnosis, including potions and other consumables and passing them out. Most often it's in the form of holy water since we've encountered stuff 'allergic' to Gnosis so a speed ball special is always an option.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Thkaal View Post
            That does seem odd that a rite is required to do it when you can just do it to a spirit. I agree it should take some kind of special knowledge.....but yeah, the way Rage Across Egypt is written, it looks like someone said, "if they can just give it to spirits, they could just give it to each other thus mitigating the curse. We better do something about that."
            The ability to grant Gnosis to a spirit may be an effect of the Pact. Changing Breeds can do it because that's how things work. But they can't normally give it to each other because it is not part of the Pact.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lachdanan View Post
              Garou are just half-spirits. I do not reccomend you to give them more innate powers than already written. It can surly inbalance your game.

              A Theurge should have some common sense & restrainment with her Gnosis usage. If she would throw it like there were an unlimited supply I'd throw her some minus Wisdom / Honor.
              Gnosis come from the spiritual world and should be (in my worldveiw) somehow revered.
              While I find it quite acceptable that exchanging Gnosis between werewolves requires a ritual, I wouldn't get too harsh about players' abilities. In fact, I quite like it that many werewolf abilities swing between the revered sacred and the natural, emphasizing that Garou may petition the spirits for some of their powers, but others are simply their birthrights, to use as they wish, because they too are half-spirit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Is there a reference that a garou can simply give Gnosis to a sprit ?
                Doing what? Touching it, Willing it, stating the intent? Is there a range limit?

                I only remember that a way to gain gnosis is bargain with spirits.
                Also, my guess would be that unlike in Exalted, Gnosis isn't a trait Garou quantify in "units", making deals quite subjective.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Freederp92 View Post
                  Im the theurge in my current group and this has come up before, both me and the ST agreed on it as well. Passing Gnosis between garou is something either taboo or unknown, Gnosis from each auspice might be 'flavored' a certain way and the receiver might be affected in a way plus an ahroun might not have enough Gnosis to pass on without affecting them. My way around this? Making talens and fetishes able to store Gnosis, including potions and other consumables and passing them out. Most often it's in the form of holy water since we've encountered stuff 'allergic' to Gnosis so a speed ball special is always an option.
                  That sounds similar to how my storyteller runs it: the senior Theurge in the sept, who is an NPC, has some kind of special small container that he can store a little gnosis in, and he has loaned it to our PC Theurge on a couple of occasions to be used in case of emergency. I think he has to perform a rite to get the gnosis into the container. The mechanical effect is that a single "dot" of temporary gnosis can be packaged and carried, and then given to a werewolf or a spirit when needed. It's not a thing the senior Theurge likes to lend out, because he's a Bone Gnawer and very jealous of his stuff, and it's not much gnosis that can be transferred from one Garou to another in this way, but it's a way to allow it without making it too easy.
                  Last edited by Wilson; Today, 12:54 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X