BSD character sheets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSD character sheets?

Hello, in my next game session I'm going to need several Black spiral Dancers. PCs together with a lot of other packs are assaulting a BSD caern.
    Also, I want to make the battle extremely chaotic, with dozens of fighters on each side. Any advice on how to manage this, while keeping the action focused on the PCs?

Go for side missions, that don't need actual combat.
    Meaning, as part of the assault, there might be a need to destroy the Pit's (BSD Caern's) equivalent to pack totem shrines. Have the PCs make stealth rolls to get there while the fight is all aound them, primal urge rolls to locate the place they seek and possibly willpower rolls, when they run into effects of banes protecting these Pit landmarks.
    Also, have them decide to help a allied pack that is surrounded by BSD or leave them to solve their time sensitive mission. For if the shrines aren't all destroyed when the allied theurges attack the Pit's equivalent of a caern spirit, they might go under.
    Find and assassinate the BSDs Ritemaster and his apprentices, before they can summon a powerful bane or enact a Rite for their side of the battle.
    Bring some caverns down, so the BSD can't use them to flee, and more importantly can't get backup from monsters from the Deep or Dark Faerie Kin.

Avoid direct battle with the normal battle rules - it will kill the mood and drag on for hours.

Comment

First off, for the character sheets, try Mr. Gone's character sheets. There are a ton for the World of Darkness games. Below is the link to the two-page Black Spiral Dancer sheet.

https://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/p...s_Editable.pdf

As for large combats, heinrich has good advice.

Each werewolf pack should have a mission and you should make the PC mission a vital one but within their capabilities or a slight stretch. Instead of just having dice rolls for fights, also consider the static defenses and obstacles. D&D's dungeon crawls, especially against intelligent foes like hobgoblins that make use of traps and have organized watches, will make the infiltration portion more real.

If you do what some of the mass combat to work, there are many game systems out there with mass combat simulators. GURPS Mass Combat would be fairly easy to use to figure out how the overall battle is going. There are always complications and if things are going well or difficult for the PCs, those complications could provide new vistas.

I would not rule out direct battle with the normal rules, but unless rolling out each portion of the fight is fun, you want to focus on the bigger foes. Low-level banes and such might just go down if a werewolf swings at them and the player puts an effort to describe their actions. That's part of the 'Truly Badass' rules S. John Ross introduced for GURPS to simulate action movies. Mooks and spear carriers should go down pretty quickly if you want cinematic.

Though, if you want the hopeless feeling and can run it effectively and the players are on board, don't rule out a Total Pack Kill (Total Party Kill in other games), because the best way to deal with Black Spiral Dancers is to have a large group of angry mages hit them with Forces 5 effects.

Comment

Taking a sept or hive should be something that requires a lot of prep and strategy. A powerful totem of corruption might mean that attacking a hive head on is a sure-fire way to fall prey to Wyrmish impulses. Sabotaging the spirit's sources of metaphysical power would likely be necessary idea...

Mass combat with werewolves doesn't work that well with the Storyteller system, and things tend to slow down and get boring which is precisely the opposite of how combat should feel. Humans can fight and die en mass, but Garou don't. Werewolves, Black Spirals or otherwise, are too powerful to be easily dispatched mooks. Even a comparably weak werewolf might death frenzy and do a lot of damage, and each and every fight could be a duel to the death.

I have run larger conflicts, but the larger scope is largely beyond the players- they should care about their mission and whatever is immediately in front of them.

That being said, rather than fighting lots of enemies, you could have each of your players square off with a counterpart Black Spiral Dancer that you flesh out to be horrific. And you will want to flesh them out. Who are these Wyrm slaves you have pitted against your characters? Plumb the depths of their depravity, define them in ways that make them uniquely off-putting, creepy or grotesque. Then it will mean something when such degenerate beasts are scoured from Gaia's face.

Comment

Originally posted by baakyocalder View Post
          First off, for the character sheets, try Mr. Gone's character sheets. There are a ton for the World of Darkness games. Below is the link to the two-page Black Spiral Dancer sheet.

https://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/p...s_Editable.pdf.
          Ah, thanks for the mention! I appreciate it!

I also did some for W20, should anyone need them. (Those are drop box links btw).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgvf2dry69...ctive.pdf?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0byqi1vpvf...ctive.pdf?dl=1

MrGone's Character Sheets
          For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post

Ah, thanks for the mention! I appreciate it!

I also did some for W20, should anyone need them. (Those are drop box links btw).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgvf2dry69...ctive.pdf?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0byqi1vpvf...ctive.pdf?dl=1
            Thanks for all the awesome sheets. I am running Mage but use a bunch of the sheets in game. The fill-in ones are great to have on the computer for recurring NPCs.

Comment

Originally posted by baakyocalder View Post
              Thanks for all the awesome sheets. I am running Mage but use a bunch of the sheets in game. The fill-in ones are great to have on the computer for recurring NPCs.
              You're very welcome!! Glad to hear you like em and that they've been of good use for your games.

Appreciate you using them!

MrGone's Character Sheets
              For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs

Comment

To be honest I was asking for already created character sheets, not for the blank ones

Many good ideas for the massive combat. For this story, I want to do combat and I want it to be chaotic. They are not going to have a perspective of the entire assault, they’ll be only involved “in their mission”, but it includes a 5 packs vs 5 packs battle.

So far, I’ve come up with two ideas:
                1. For each of the NPC packs, if they’re facing the PCs, normal combat rules.
                  If they’re fighting each other, I’m going to make a simplified sheet, with an attack value, an “armor” value and some life points. At the end of each round of combat I’ll roll a single die +attack -armor and they’ll dealt damage to each other. This way PCs can see” how other packs are doing”. And in case of PCs interact with other packs I know how wounded they’re.
                  This is a simplified version of the rules in Rage across the amazon.
                2. I’m also going to create a several “random” elements (not sure yet if papers in a hat or a table to roll) to simulate the battel chaos, fire from other combat hitting the PCs or their enemies; area explosions; rock falling from the celling; allay or enemy joining, etc.
                My personal philosophy is no secret rolls or “Deus ex Machina” in combats for life or death. I do some GM cheating to keep the plot in order and interesting, but when we get to the part of the plot with real combat: dice and strategy decide.

Comment

Unless the Black Spiral Dancer is a notable character, just give them the appropriate combat abilities. For large fights, the mooks and minor henchmen don't need the stats that a major character does. Also, I'd go through prior Werewolf books for Black Spiral Dancer characters and tweak them.

Idea 1 works but you should preroll most of the stuff until the players act and have known impacts of player actions if you strive for player agency and fairness. Like, 'these Black Spiral Dancers were on guard duty and quite aware and since they rolled well, they saw the Garou infilitration team and the fight is a nasty furball where no one will leave unscathed.' Or, these BSDs are the slackers of the group and seeing a superior foe, will flee if they have a greater than 50% chance of survival.

Idea 2 needs to be carefully considered. Random encounters should be things that further the plot and give players relevant choices. They are part of your 'encounter pool.' So, if the PCs get something from table B, it should matter. That being said, all of the suggestions fit the tropes of chaotic combat.

The players can thus control their own fates and impact the larger overall battle, but you aren't having to remember 200 different things or pull out your hair with a perfect plan gone south if you carefully consider the setup. Remember, the goal of combat is winning. What winning is depends on who is fighting.

Comment

Working...
                  X