Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detecting Fetishes

How do garou do that?

We have in our game someone wearing a fetish, knowing it only as some kind of a magical item. A grou has a lot of contact with this person. How can the garou know that the visible fetish is indeed a fetish without touching it? The garou in question does not have spirit speech.

Never mind, I found the answer.

Comment

I'd argue that a spirit in a fetish isn't subject to spirit speech. I mean, it is inside an object and I'd argue that such spirits don't perceive the surroundings of the item, or else every fetish would be a spy on everything a garou does.

Gifts like "sense magic" or "sense the unnatural" should help. Besides that, touching and meditating allows to contact the spirit within a fetish, iirc. No gifts required there.

Comment

The spirit inside the fetish is slumbering so it'd be like talking to a sleeping person. The conversation will be very one sided.

I agree with heinrich that certain Gifts should detect that an object is the fetish, and I'd also say Garou could likely determine it is a fetish - perhaps by a Gnosis roll or even use of Enigmas while manipulating it, but not activating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
          The spirit inside the fetish is slumbering so it'd be like talking to a sleeping person. The conversation will be very one sided.
          Is it?
          I would think of it like the Genie in the lamp. Living in the fetish corpus, mostly unaware of the surroundings of the fetish, but still an active 'mind', so to speak.

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
          I agree with heinrich that certain Gifts should detect that an object is the fetish, and I'd also say Garou could likely determine it is a fetish - perhaps by a Gnosis roll or even use of Enigmas while manipulating it, but not activating it.
          Unless the fetish is obvious as a fetish, I would thing that touching the fetish corpus was a prerequisite for starting to determine if an object is a fetish (with gnosis alone, instead of gifts).

Comment

Working...
          X