Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rage Across Google Maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Hey Nuitloupe! I got your PM but can't message you back for some reason, so I'll just reply here.

    You are of course welcome to send me details about your homebrew Caerns to add to the map. I have a layer of custom locations for just that purpose. If you already know exactly where you want the map pins placed, send those coordinates along with the info. If you'd like to include a URL for your game's website/forum/etc, feel free to do that also and I'll make sure it's in each of the entries.


    Comment


    • #17
      I made a little guide a while back but then forgot to post it.


      For people who would like to add their custom locations added to Rage Across Google Maps, there are two steps necessary :

      Step 1

      Providing the actual location. An easy way to do this is go to www.google.com/maps, find and then click on the spot where your map pin should go. This will bring up a small window at the bottom of the screen. At the bottom of that window, there be the coordinates for that spot. Click on the coordinates, then copy all of those numbers from the search bar they appear in on the left, and include them with step 2. If you need a visual reference, see the bottom of this page.


      Step 2

      Use the following template, replacing anything in italics with your information, then send it to me in a Private Message (so I am more likely to see it right away):



      Paste your map coordinates here

      Caern: A brief description of what or where the Caern's heart is

      Level number | Gauntlet number

      Type: Caern's type (not the Totem's type)

      Totem: Caern's Totem

      Tribal Structure: The Tribe/Changing Breed primarily in control, or mixed. Is it Open or Closed to outsiders?
      Write your description of the Caern, Sept, important things or people here. I don't know if Google Maps has a text limit, but it's best to keep it about the length you might find in a source book.

      [The game that this place is from, you can include a link to it here]




      If you need a visual reference for Step 1, here is what to do if you wanted to place a map pin at the southernmost point of Greenland, for example:


















      Comment


      • #18
        This is awesome, cool.

        Comment


        • #19
          Very cool.

          (Though I'm a bit disturbed that when looking up one of the Caerns near where I live, I came across my car parked at work.)


          What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

          Comment


          • #20
            Oh yes, there's always a bit of a creep Big Brother factor about Google Maps/Earth. The Weaver Sees All.


            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Yakecen-Sings View Post
              I give you Rage Across Google Maps, a map reference of Septs and Caerns across the World of Darkness..
              Thank you. Very helpful.

              See this similar thing: Dark Ages 1230 Google Map

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Yakecen-Sings View Post
                I give you https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zMs5hU48Utl8.kEi7ZJCM2TRQ"]Rage Across Google Maps[/URL], a map reference of Septs and Caerns across the World of Darkness.

                I'm still combing through books and making additions. Once I've finished with Garou territories, I'll see about Fera. The map is intended as a visual aid for storytellers and players alike, and all location entries should have their source cited so you know what book to open to learn more about that site. If there a book or page number missing, please let me know so I can fix it.
                Wow, that's huge man. And very helpful. I can't wait to see fera caern added. And 2 more things: first of all I found also other map of septs here:
                https://www.google.pl/url?sa=t&sourc...BiCCeOXte9V4T6
                There are some differences between your map and that one. Maybe you want to compare it with yours. And the second thing: you missed at least 1 caern. The one I've found is Norge Valley Caern, level 2, gaunlet 4, type Vision/Nightmares, status abandoned (formerly Wendigo later Black Spiral Dancers) from Project Twilight p. 98. And another one, faerie site that could be a caern, in Catskill protectorate, mentioned in Rage across New York p. 26.
                Last edited by Nail Eater; 11-24-2017, 07:25 AM.


                Warrior of the Rainbow
                Saint among the sinners
                Pure among the dirt
                Loser among winners

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post
                  There are some differences between your map and that one. Maybe you want to compare it with yours. And the second thing: you missed at least 1 caern. The one I've found is Norge Valley Caern, level 2, gaunlet 4, type Vision/Nightmares, status abandoned (formerly Wendigo later Black Spiral Dancers) from Project Twilight p. 98. And another one, faerie site that could be a caern, in Catskill protectorate, mentioned in Rage across New York p. 26.
                  Thanks for those notes, I'll seek them out when I have the time to do another big update!


                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Yakecen-Sings View Post
                    Thanks for those notes, I'll seek them out when I have the time to do another big update!
                    No problemo, glad to be helpful. And what next? Map of chantries? Faerie rings? Haunts? Map of Camarilla/Sabbath controled cities? And all of those put on map of caerns?


                    Warrior of the Rainbow
                    Saint among the sinners
                    Pure among the dirt
                    Loser among winners

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post
                      No problemo, glad to be helpful. And what next? Map of chantries? Faerie rings? Haunts? Map of Camarilla/Sabbath controled cities? And all of those put on map of caerns?
                      Probably not from me! Werewolf is my jam, so I don't have the frenzied interest for doing it for the other spheres, but anyone can save a copy of my map into their own drive and then continue to add their own things on top of that, as some have already done. I definitely think it would be cool to see a whole World of Darkness Google Map, and I'd feel pretty cool if I was the one who compiled that for the community, but I also know my own energy/investment limits.
                      Last edited by Yakecen-Sings; 04-05-2018, 11:27 PM.


                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Yakecen-Sings View Post
                        Probably not from me! Werewolf is my jam, so I don't have the frenzied interest for doing it for the other spheres, but anyone can save a copy of my map into their own drive and then continue to add their own things on top of that, as some have already done. I definitely think it would be cool to see a whole World of Darkness Google Map, and I'd feel pretty cool if I was the one who compiled that for the community, but I also know my own energy/investment limits.
                        OK, W:tA is also my favourite one. But I also know a little about other WoD games. So I have to share with you my theory about faerie ring in Catskill protectorate (the one that I mentioned before). It's propably High King David's palace. He has his main stronghold in Catskill mountains, in RANY this site has very tight defence and Shakar (baghera from player's guide) know some of faeries from Catskill
                        Last edited by Nail Eater; 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM.


                        Warrior of the Rainbow
                        Saint among the sinners
                        Pure among the dirt
                        Loser among winners

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          It occurs to me that I don't seem to have ever linked the actual landing page for the map!

                          http://glyphery.webs.com/atlas

                          This includes additional information about the process I've chosen, has a link to Laughing Hyena's list of Caerns and locations (which also includes interesting sites that I don't intend to include on my own map), and has the list of the books I've looked through for entries thus far. I certainly haven't combed through every book yet, and it's entirely possible I've missed information that meets my criteria for inclusion, so extra drones-- er, eyes, to reduce error are always welcomed by this Information Geomid.


                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I finally started on the spreadsheet "companion" to the map. I rambled about this in the WtA Facebook group, so this might be familiar to some of you. If you're in the group, there's nothing new below, so you can skip it with impunity.


                            *
                            I've been doing some work on "Rage Across Google" Maps again.

                            It's not more map entries yet, because my computer with the PDF books has been dead (and remains dead) and my physical books are not super accessible at the moment. I know there are plenty of entries still missing, but there isn't much I can do about that at the moment.

                            However! I'm finally working on the "Map Companion" spreadsheet to go with the Google Map, and I'd like feedback on how it is laid out, if y'all are interested in this sort of thing.

                            This is a big post, so that I can explain how the spreadsheet is currently set up, why, and where I'm especially interested in any help people might want to offer.

                            Yelling Moon powers, activate!

                            There are only a few entries in the spreadsheet so far, because I'd like to hammer out the presentation before I go too deep into it, in case radical changes arise later.

                            Along the bottom of the sheet, there are tabs that go to other sheets, which currently have no work done in them but will work just like the "layers" in the map, where you can isolate and view places that are sources from only tabletop material, or only MET material, or only custom stuff. The default sheet includes all entries. each entry name links directly to its location on the map, so you can just click it to open up RAGM.

                            The sheet contains the "data" of the entries on the map, along with a few additional columns I think are helpful for sorting purposes. For example, you can sort a column by continent and see all Septs/Caerns/Hives/etc grouped that way. While you can already search the Google Map for keywords to pull up all entries that include, say, "Red Talon" to search Red Talon Caerns, you can't really group them by overall geography that way. Also, the whole idea of the project is to provide a visual aid and convenience, so for some things it will be more helpful to use a sheet; or others, just to see it on the map. Options!

                            Speaking of options, there are three types of "Location" columns to give the user some options in their sorting, but I don't want to cutter the sheet with too many categories.

                            I started with "Continent*" which is literally that (but the * leaves room for Umbral Caerns.)

                            "Region" is a bit amorphous; it might be a country, a state, a province, or some other more localized by not necessarily super-specific area. The intention is to have it be a useful "zoom in" without getting to the county or city level. Something readily identifiable.

                            I'm also including an "Indigenous territory" column that will likely be a work in progress on-going, as I dig and track down information. The intention of this sorting option is layered. While I am using the most widely/commonly known names for locations in the first two "Location" columns, these places had names before colonization swept the world. This is relevant historical Werewolf settings and chronicles, especially as it pertains to the Pure Tribes (that is also the reason for the "Structure, historical" column). It's also relevant to real world acknowledgement, and a tiny way I can encourage decolonization in our game. I could especially use help/correction with this category to make sure I'm accurately citing.

                            There are notes (little black triangles in the top left of a given field) attached to some of the cells. These contain my comments, potentially useful tidbits of additional information, and some of their map entry's descriptive text that may be important for sorting purposes but doesn't warrant its own column. Some of these entries are getting loaded up with notes, because there are some really interesting tidbits. I just added the Sept of the Awakening, which appears to be a very recently built Caern without much of a historical presence (it's located on anartificial island that was started in 1880 and finished(?) in 1892 - but more than that, the center of its Caern (a statue called The Awakening, which was built in 1980) has actually be full on moved elsewhere since 'Caerns - Places of Power' was written.

                            What does that mean for the Caern? Did it get moved also and did the Sept follow it to its new location? Or did the Caern remain exactly where it had been in spite of its focal point structure moving? Might it have even caused the Caern to be damaged, potentially dying off - or needing a new totem to remain a Caern (since it's Totem is The Awakening, the Eagle, and the Rat). Might it be just the Eagle and the Rat now?

                            I'm not making those speculations in the notes themselves, but with that information readily available, I'm hoping that it makes for an intriguing and helpful prompt for STs to consider how what might affect their own Chronicle.

                            The big question I have is this; is there anything you find lacking for the intended function of the spreadsheet, as it currently is? Are there things you would want know -- for sorting purposes -- that aren't included so far? Is anything unclear? Other suggestions?

                            The sheet is currently set up that anyone can comment directly on it, for suggestions/corrections/whatever. I'd like to leave that function on indefinitely, so here's hoping it doesn't get used to spam!

                            And, finally, here's the link to the sheet: [English] Rage Across Google Maps - Companion Spreadsheet
                            Last edited by Yakecen-Sings; 04-21-2018, 11:07 PM.


                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Yakecen-Sings View Post
                              I finally started on the spreadsheet "companion" to the map. I rambled about this in the WtA Facebook group, so this might be familiar to some of you. If you're in the group, there's nothing new below, so you can skip it with impunity.


                              *
                              I've been doing some work on "Rage Across Google" Maps again.

                              It's not more map entries yet, because my computer with the PDF books has been dead (and remains dead) and my physical books are not super accessible at the moment. I know there are plenty of entries still missing, but there isn't much I can do about that at the moment.

                              However! I'm finally working on the "Map Companion" spreadsheet to go with the Google Map, and I'd like feedback on how it is laid out, if y'all are interested in this sort of thing.

                              This is a big post, so that I can explain how the spreadsheet is currently set up, why, and where I'm especially interested in any help people might want to offer.

                              Yelling Moon powers, activate!

                              There are only a few entries in the spreadsheet so far, because I'd like to hammer out the presentation before I go too deep into it, in case radical changes arise later.

                              Along the bottom of the sheet, there are tabs that go to other sheets, which currently have no work done in them but will work just like the "layers" in the map, where you can isolate and view places that are sources from only tabletop material, or only MET material, or only custom stuff. The default sheet includes all entries. each entry name links directly to its location on the map, so you can just click it to open up RAGM.

                              The sheet contains the "data" of the entries on the map, along with a few additional columns I think are helpful for sorting purposes. For example, you can sort a column by continent and see all Septs/Caerns/Hives/etc grouped that way. While you can already search the Google Map for keywords to pull up all entries that include, say, "Red Talon" to search Red Talon Caerns, you can't really group them by overall geography that way. Also, the whole idea of the project is to provide a visual aid and convenience, so for some things it will be more helpful to use a sheet; or others, just to see it on the map. Options!

                              Speaking of options, there are three types of "Location" columns to give the user some options in their sorting, but I don't want to cutter the sheet with too many categories.

                              I started with "Continent*" which is literally that (but the * leaves room for Umbral Caerns.)

                              "Region" is a bit amorphous; it might be a country, a state, a province, or some other more localized by not necessarily super-specific area. The intention is to have it be a useful "zoom in" without getting to the county or city level. Something readily identifiable.

                              I'm also including an "Indigenous territory" column that will likely be a work in progress on-going, as I dig and track down information. The intention of this sorting option is layered. While I am using the most widely/commonly known names for locations in the first two "Location" columns, these places had names before colonization swept the world. This is relevant historical Werewolf settings and chronicles, especially as it pertains to the Pure Tribes (that is also the reason for the "Structure, historical" column). It's also relevant to real world acknowledgement, and a tiny way I can encourage decolonization in our game. I could especially use help/correction with this category to make sure I'm accurately citing.

                              There are notes (little black triangles in the top left of a given field) attached to some of the cells. These contain my comments, potentially useful tidbits of additional information, and some of their map entry's descriptive text that may be important for sorting purposes but doesn't warrant its own column. Some of these entries are getting loaded up with notes, because there are some really interesting tidbits. I just added the Sept of the Awakening, which appears to be a very recently built Caern without much of a historical presence (it's located on anartificial island that was started in 1880 and finished(?) in 1892 - but more than that, the center of its Caern (a statue called The Awakening, which was built in 1980) has actually be full on moved elsewhere since 'Caerns - Places of Power' was written.

                              What does that mean for the Caern? Did it get moved also and did the Sept follow it to its new location? Or did the Caern remain exactly where it had been in spite of its focal point structure moving? Might it have even caused the Caern to be damaged, potentially dying off - or needing a new totem to remain a Caern (since it's Totem is The Awakening, the Eagle, and the Rat). Might it be just the Eagle and the Rat now?

                              I'm not making those speculations in the notes themselves, but with that information readily available, I'm hoping that it makes for an intriguing and helpful prompt for STs to consider how what might affect their own Chronicle.

                              The big question I have is this; is there anything you find lacking for the intended function of the spreadsheet, as it currently is? Are there things you would want know -- for sorting purposes -- that aren't included so far? Is anything unclear? Other suggestions?

                              The sheet is currently set up that anyone can comment directly on it, for suggestions/corrections/whatever. I'd like to leave that function on indefinitely, so here's hoping it doesn't get used to spam!

                              And, finally, here's the link to the sheet: [English] Rage Across Google Maps - Companion Spreadsheet
                              Aaaaand you still didn't mention Norge Valley caern which I described to you .

                              You also didn't include caerns from Dark Ages sourcebooks, at least some of them, and caerns from France by Night (in a few days I could send you all that I found about them).

                              And if you are interested I could also send some custom caerns placed in Poland.

                              I don't want to do it myself cause I'm jinxed (Glass Walkers flaw) and I don't want to ruin your work.


                              Warrior of the Rainbow
                              Saint among the sinners
                              Pure among the dirt
                              Loser among winners

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Great RP tool, thanks!

                                I tried to make a copy of the map on my gdrive and edit it for personal use in my campaign but it doesn't seem to work... did you specifically want it to be a common resource only? I'm asking because I wanted to remove a few caerns from overpopulated areas (like the Appalachians) and I can't of course do that in the public version.

                                Just a note: "western North Carolina" usually refers to the State's mountain countries, why did you put the Heart's Blood sept in the South Mountain State park? I think it should be more around Murphy, where the Indian reservations are (the entry speaks of Cherokee kinfolks, but since there's already a caern at Cherokee I'd put it a bit further west).
                                Last edited by Maris Streck; 10-25-2018, 09:58 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X