X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yakecen-Sings
    started a topic Rage Across Google Maps

Rage Across Google Maps

The last game I was in had a huge protectorate, spanning most of the Olympic Peninsula in the United States. Given the vast distances between sites of interest, important places on the bawn, and the scope of the bawn itself, I set up a custom Google map to give us all a better idea of where things were. This worked out pretty well, so I added Septs that the various characters had originated from, since visions had called Garou to the Olympics from all over. And that got me thinking on a larger scale...

I give you Rage Across Google Maps, a map reference of Septs and Caerns across the World of Darkness.

I'm still combing through books and making additions. Once I've finished with Garou territories, I'll see about Fera. The map is intended as a visual aid for storytellers and players alike, and all location entries should have their source cited so you know what book to open to learn more about that site. If there a book or page number missing, please let me know so I can fix it.

• Nail Eater
    replied
    Originally posted by Yakecen-Sings View Post
    I'm still combing through books and making additions. Once I've finished with Garou territories, I'll see about Fera. The map is intended as a visual aid for storytellers and players alike, and all location entries should have their source cited so you know what book to open to learn more about that site. If there a book or page number missing, please let me know so I can fix it.
    Hi there again. I find another caern worth mentioning. There are not many informations about it though. It's an old Black Spiral Dancer's caern, inactive in 1848, located in Wandsworth Town, London. I believe it's somewhere around here judging by description

51.446042,-0.194150

Source: Giovanni Chronicles III: The Sun Has Set p. 50

Leave a comment:

• Maris Streck
    replied
    Great RP tool, thanks!

I tried to make a copy of the map on my gdrive and edit it for personal use in my campaign but it doesn't seem to work... did you specifically want it to be a common resource only? I'm asking because I wanted to remove a few caerns from overpopulated areas (like the Appalachians) and I can't of course do that in the public version.

Just a note: "western North Carolina" usually refers to the State's mountain countries, why did you put the Heart's Blood sept in the South Mountain State park? I think it should be more around Murphy, where the Indian reservations are (the entry speaks of Cherokee kinfolks, but since there's already a caern at Cherokee I'd put it a bit further west).
    Last edited by Maris Streck; 10-25-2018, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    I finally started on the spreadsheet "companion" to the map. I rambled about this in the WtA Facebook group, so this might be familiar to some of you. If you're in the group, there's nothing new below, so you can skip it with impunity.

I've been doing some work on "Rage Across Google" Maps again.

It's not more map entries yet, because my computer with the PDF books has been dead (and remains dead) and my physical books are not super accessible at the moment. I know there are plenty of entries still missing, but there isn't much I can do about that at the moment.

However! I'm finally working on the "Map Companion" spreadsheet to go with the Google Map, and I'd like feedback on how it is laid out, if y'all are interested in this sort of thing.

This is a big post, so that I can explain how the spreadsheet is currently set up, why, and where I'm especially interested in any help people might want to offer.

Yelling Moon powers, activate!

There are only a few entries in the spreadsheet so far, because I'd like to hammer out the presentation before I go too deep into it, in case radical changes arise later.

Along the bottom of the sheet, there are tabs that go to other sheets, which currently have no work done in them but will work just like the "layers" in the map, where you can isolate and view places that are sources from only tabletop material, or only MET material, or only custom stuff. The default sheet includes all entries. each entry name links directly to its location on the map, so you can just click it to open up RAGM.

The sheet contains the "data" of the entries on the map, along with a few additional columns I think are helpful for sorting purposes. For example, you can sort a column by continent and see all Septs/Caerns/Hives/etc grouped that way. While you can already search the Google Map for keywords to pull up all entries that include, say, "Red Talon" to search Red Talon Caerns, you can't really group them by overall geography that way. Also, the whole idea of the project is to provide a visual aid and convenience, so for some things it will be more helpful to use a sheet; or others, just to see it on the map. Options!

Speaking of options, there are three types of "Location" columns to give the user some options in their sorting, but I don't want to cutter the sheet with too many categories.

I started with "Continent*" which is literally that (but the * leaves room for Umbral Caerns.)

"Region" is a bit amorphous; it might be a country, a state, a province, or some other more localized by not necessarily super-specific area. The intention is to have it be a useful "zoom in" without getting to the county or city level. Something readily identifiable.

I'm also including an "Indigenous territory" column that will likely be a work in progress on-going, as I dig and track down information. The intention of this sorting option is layered. While I am using the most widely/commonly known names for locations in the first two "Location" columns, these places had names before colonization swept the world. This is relevant historical Werewolf settings and chronicles, especially as it pertains to the Pure Tribes (that is also the reason for the "Structure, historical" column). It's also relevant to real world acknowledgement, and a tiny way I can encourage decolonization in our game. I could especially use help/correction with this category to make sure I'm accurately citing.

There are notes (little black triangles in the top left of a given field) attached to some of the cells. These contain my comments, potentially useful tidbits of additional information, and some of their map entry's descriptive text that may be important for sorting purposes but doesn't warrant its own column. Some of these entries are getting loaded up with notes, because there are some really interesting tidbits. I just added the Sept of the Awakening, which appears to be a very recently built Caern without much of a historical presence (it's located on anartificial island that was started in 1880 and finished(?) in 1892 - but more than that, the center of its Caern (a statue called The Awakening, which was built in 1980) has actually be full on moved elsewhere since 'Caerns - Places of Power' was written.

What does that mean for the Caern? Did it get moved also and did the Sept follow it to its new location? Or did the Caern remain exactly where it had been in spite of its focal point structure moving? Might it have even caused the Caern to be damaged, potentially dying off - or needing a new totem to remain a Caern (since it's Totem is The Awakening, the Eagle, and the Rat). Might it be just the Eagle and the Rat now?

I'm not making those speculations in the notes themselves, but with that information readily available, I'm hoping that it makes for an intriguing and helpful prompt for STs to consider how what might affect their own Chronicle.

The big question I have is this; is there anything you find lacking for the intended function of the spreadsheet, as it currently is? Are there things you would want know -- for sorting purposes -- that aren't included so far? Is anything unclear? Other suggestions?

The sheet is currently set up that anyone can comment directly on it, for suggestions/corrections/whatever. I'd like to leave that function on indefinitely, so here's hoping it doesn't get used to spam!

And, finally, here's the link to the sheet: [English] Rage Across Google Maps - Companion Spreadsheet
    Aaaaand you still didn't mention Norge Valley caern which I described to you .

You also didn't include caerns from Dark Ages sourcebooks, at least some of them, and caerns from France by Night (in a few days I could send you all that I found about them).

And if you are interested I could also send some custom caerns placed in Poland.

I don't want to do it myself cause I'm jinxed (Glass Walkers flaw) and I don't want to ruin your work.

Leave a comment:

• Yakecen-Sings
    replied
    I finally started on the spreadsheet "companion" to the map. I rambled about this in the WtA Facebook group, so this might be familiar to some of you. If you're in the group, there's nothing new below, so you can skip it with impunity.

I've been doing some work on "Rage Across Google" Maps again.

It's not more map entries yet, because my computer with the PDF books has been dead (and remains dead) and my physical books are not super accessible at the moment. I know there are plenty of entries still missing, but there isn't much I can do about that at the moment.

However! I'm finally working on the "Map Companion" spreadsheet to go with the Google Map, and I'd like feedback on how it is laid out, if y'all are interested in this sort of thing.

This is a big post, so that I can explain how the spreadsheet is currently set up, why, and where I'm especially interested in any help people might want to offer.

Yelling Moon powers, activate!

There are only a few entries in the spreadsheet so far, because I'd like to hammer out the presentation before I go too deep into it, in case radical changes arise later.

Along the bottom of the sheet, there are tabs that go to other sheets, which currently have no work done in them but will work just like the "layers" in the map, where you can isolate and view places that are sources from only tabletop material, or only MET material, or only custom stuff. The default sheet includes all entries. each entry name links directly to its location on the map, so you can just click it to open up RAGM.

The sheet contains the "data" of the entries on the map, along with a few additional columns I think are helpful for sorting purposes. For example, you can sort a column by continent and see all Septs/Caerns/Hives/etc grouped that way. While you can already search the Google Map for keywords to pull up all entries that include, say, "Red Talon" to search Red Talon Caerns, you can't really group them by overall geography that way. Also, the whole idea of the project is to provide a visual aid and convenience, so for some things it will be more helpful to use a sheet; or others, just to see it on the map. Options!

Speaking of options, there are three types of "Location" columns to give the user some options in their sorting, but I don't want to cutter the sheet with too many categories.

I started with "Continent*" which is literally that (but the * leaves room for Umbral Caerns.)

"Region" is a bit amorphous; it might be a country, a state, a province, or some other more localized by not necessarily super-specific area. The intention is to have it be a useful "zoom in" without getting to the county or city level. Something readily identifiable.

I'm also including an "Indigenous territory" column that will likely be a work in progress on-going, as I dig and track down information. The intention of this sorting option is layered. While I am using the most widely/commonly known names for locations in the first two "Location" columns, these places had names before colonization swept the world. This is relevant historical Werewolf settings and chronicles, especially as it pertains to the Pure Tribes (that is also the reason for the "Structure, historical" column). It's also relevant to real world acknowledgement, and a tiny way I can encourage decolonization in our game. I could especially use help/correction with this category to make sure I'm accurately citing.

There are notes (little black triangles in the top left of a given field) attached to some of the cells. These contain my comments, potentially useful tidbits of additional information, and some of their map entry's descriptive text that may be important for sorting purposes but doesn't warrant its own column. Some of these entries are getting loaded up with notes, because there are some really interesting tidbits. I just added the Sept of the Awakening, which appears to be a very recently built Caern without much of a historical presence (it's located on anartificial island that was started in 1880 and finished(?) in 1892 - but more than that, the center of its Caern (a statue called The Awakening, which was built in 1980) has actually be full on moved elsewhere since 'Caerns - Places of Power' was written.

What does that mean for the Caern? Did it get moved also and did the Sept follow it to its new location? Or did the Caern remain exactly where it had been in spite of its focal point structure moving? Might it have even caused the Caern to be damaged, potentially dying off - or needing a new totem to remain a Caern (since it's Totem is The Awakening, the Eagle, and the Rat). Might it be just the Eagle and the Rat now?

I'm not making those speculations in the notes themselves, but with that information readily available, I'm hoping that it makes for an intriguing and helpful prompt for STs to consider how what might affect their own Chronicle.

The big question I have is this; is there anything you find lacking for the intended function of the spreadsheet, as it currently is? Are there things you would want know -- for sorting purposes -- that aren't included so far? Is anything unclear? Other suggestions?

The sheet is currently set up that anyone can comment directly on it, for suggestions/corrections/whatever. I'd like to leave that function on indefinitely, so here's hoping it doesn't get used to spam!

And, finally, here's the link to the sheet: [English] Rage Across Google Maps - Companion Spreadsheet
    Last edited by Yakecen-Sings; 04-21-2018, 11:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Yakecen-Sings
    replied
    It occurs to me that I don't seem to have ever linked the actual landing page for the map!

http://glyphery.webs.com/atlas

This includes additional information about the process I've chosen, has a link to Laughing Hyena's list of Caerns and locations (which also includes interesting sites that I don't intend to include on my own map), and has the list of the books I've looked through for entries thus far. I certainly haven't combed through every book yet, and it's entirely possible I've missed information that meets my criteria for inclusion, so extra drones-- er, eyes, to reduce error are always welcomed by this Information Geomid.

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    Probably not from me! Werewolf is my jam, so I don't have the frenzied interest for doing it for the other spheres, but anyone can save a copy of my map into their own drive and then continue to add their own things on top of that, as some have already done. I definitely think it would be cool to see a whole World of Darkness Google Map, and I'd feel pretty cool if I was the one who compiled that for the community, but I also know my own energy/investment limits.
    OK, W:tA is also my favourite one. But I also know a little about other WoD games. So I have to share with you my theory about faerie ring in Catskill protectorate (the one that I mentioned before). It's propably High King David's palace. He has his main stronghold in Catskill mountains, in RANY this site has very tight defence and Shakar (baghera from player's guide) know some of faeries from Catskill
    Last edited by Nail Eater; 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Yakecen-Sings
    replied
    Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post
    No problemo, glad to be helpful. And what next? Map of chantries? Faerie rings? Haunts? Map of Camarilla/Sabbath controled cities? And all of those put on map of caerns?
    Probably not from me! Werewolf is my jam, so I don't have the frenzied interest for doing it for the other spheres, but anyone can save a copy of my map into their own drive and then continue to add their own things on top of that, as some have already done. I definitely think it would be cool to see a whole World of Darkness Google Map, and I'd feel pretty cool if I was the one who compiled that for the community, but I also know my own energy/investment limits.
    Last edited by Yakecen-Sings; 04-05-2018, 11:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    Thanks for those notes, I'll seek them out when I have the time to do another big update!
    No problemo, glad to be helpful. And what next? Map of chantries? Faerie rings? Haunts? Map of Camarilla/Sabbath controled cities? And all of those put on map of caerns?

Leave a comment:

• Yakecen-Sings
    replied
    Originally posted by Nail Eater View Post
    There are some differences between your map and that one. Maybe you want to compare it with yours. And the second thing: you missed at least 1 caern. The one I've found is Norge Valley Caern, level 2, gaunlet 4, type Vision/Nightmares, status abandoned (formerly Wendigo later Black Spiral Dancers) from Project Twilight p. 98. And another one, faerie site that could be a caern, in Catskill protectorate, mentioned in Rage across New York p. 26.
    Thanks for those notes, I'll seek them out when I have the time to do another big update!

Leave a comment:

• Nail Eater
    replied
    I give you https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zMs5hU48Utl8.kEi7ZJCM2TRQ"]Rage Across Google Maps[/URL], a map reference of Septs and Caerns across the World of Darkness.

Wow, that's huge man. And very helpful. I can't wait to see fera caern added. And 2 more things: first of all I found also other map of septs here:
    https://www.google.pl/url?sa=t&sourc...BiCCeOXte9V4T6
    There are some differences between your map and that one. Maybe you want to compare it with yours. And the second thing: you missed at least 1 caern. The one I've found is Norge Valley Caern, level 2, gaunlet 4, type Vision/Nightmares, status abandoned (formerly Wendigo later Black Spiral Dancers) from Project Twilight p. 98. And another one, faerie site that could be a caern, in Catskill protectorate, mentioned in Rage across New York p. 26.
    Last edited by Nail Eater; 11-24-2017, 07:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• flint
    replied
    I give you Rage Across Google Maps, a map reference of Septs and Caerns across the World of Darkness..
    Thank you. Very helpful.

See this similar thing: Dark Ages 1230 Google Map

Leave a comment:

• Yakecen-Sings
    replied
    Oh yes, there's always a bit of a creep Big Brother factor about Google Maps/Earth. The Weaver Sees All.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Very cool.

(Though I'm a bit disturbed that when looking up one of the Caerns near where I live, I came across my car parked at work.)

Leave a comment:

• lordmagnusen
    replied
    This is awesome, cool.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X