Call of the Wyld OP or are we Wrong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call of the Wyld OP or are we Wrong

So I finally got to play my first WtA game and its awesome. I get to be a locally famous werewolf metal lead singer. Everything is pretty awesome, I get into clubs cause am famous and have high appearance so forth.

However one thing I notice is Call of the Wyld is OP. Like super broken, it turns my pack into super werewolves instead of small boost in power so I got ask am I and my GM playing it wrong?

Here is how its played

I pick howl that fits what we are about to do, the I roll my Stamina+Empathy. My base Stamina is 3 and Empathy is 3, if am in another form I add in its attributes boost to my stamina. I pick a howl usually antham of war due to us about to enter in a fight. In our last session I rolled 7 6s or higher without using willpower, reminded the GM its up to her to decided what the bonus is.Now she decided that our foes will have to make check to either book it out of there and we can bonus 3 willpower.

But even still I feel like am playing it wrong. Am I?

The Gift doesn't sound overpowered to me, but I don't think I would give the same effect your ST did. It should have a big effect, but you did roll 6 successes which is a lot. Usually a 7 dice pool would give you 3-4 successes which gets you one bonus die or sometimes two bonus dice. It also says an exceptional Howl could grant 1 point of Rage to all listeners.

I'm not sure what kind of check she would use for the foes to decide whether or not to flee. If they are just goons, I would be OK with it. But I wouldn't do that for some foes. 3 bonus WP to each pack member does seem a lot as WP can be spent on additional successes, where extra dice simply give you a chance to succeed. AND it makes you harder to dominate/mind control, etc. It is also a lot more than 1 Rage for an exceptional howl (which 6 successes qualifies for)

Instead, I'd just tell the group that you have three bonus dice you can use during the scene for a challenge you are in based on my approval. Once you use that bonus die, it is gone, but you have three of them total. So maybe you want to use it for an attack/hit roll, or to activate a Gift, or to withstand some kind of (mental or physical attack). Or I'd grant 1 WP to each pack member (assuming WP makes sense for this use of the anthem of war instead of Rage). Or maybe, 3 extra WP total for your entire pack to decide how to use during this encounter (so you allow Tom to have an extra WP for a roll he needs it on, then allow Dick to spend a WP to halt a Frenzy, and Harry to use the last WP to ignore wound penalties for a round).

Of course, all benefits go away at the end of the scene. I also would not allow that Gift to be used more than once per scene. And if your game is fast paced and you use it repeatedly during the same 24 hour period, I might even limit it to once per day or even per game session (like Ancestors is).

So I do think your ST is a little too generous, but that is easily fixed for the next time. Your ST might simply have felt that 6 successes is so rare that she wanted to give you a lot for it, and not necessarily something she intends to be precedent setting. Just discuss it with your game group, and I'm sure you can set expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
      The Gift doesn't sound overpowered to me, but I don't think I would give the same effect your ST did. It should have a big effect, but you did roll 6 successes which is a lot. Usually a 7 dice pool would give you 3-4 successes which gets you one bonus die or sometimes two bonus dice. It also says an exceptional Howl could grant 1 point of Rage to all listeners.

I'm not sure what kind of check she would use for the foes to decide whether or not to flee. If they are just goons, I would be OK with it. But I wouldn't do that for some foes. 3 bonus WP to each pack member does seem a lot as WP can be spent on additional successes, where extra dice simply give you a chance to succeed. AND it makes you harder to dominate/mind control, etc. It is also a lot more than 1 Rage for an exceptional howl (which 6 successes qualifies for)

Instead, I'd just tell the group that you have three bonus dice you can use during the scene for a challenge you are in based on my approval. Once you use that bonus die, it is gone, but you have three of them total. So maybe you want to use it for an attack/hit roll, or to activate a Gift, or to withstand some kind of (mental or physical attack). Or I'd grant 1 WP to each pack member (assuming WP makes sense for this use of the anthem of war instead of Rage). Or maybe, 3 extra WP total for your entire pack to decide how to use during this encounter (so you allow Tom to have an extra WP for a roll he needs it on, then allow Dick to spend a WP to halt a Frenzy, and Harry to use the last WP to ignore wound penalties for a round).

Of course, all benefits go away at the end of the scene. I also would not allow that Gift to be used more than once per scene. And if your game is fast paced and you use it repeatedly during the same 24 hour period, I might even limit it to once per day or even per game session (like Ancestors is).

So I do think your ST is a little too generous, but that is easily fixed for the next time. Your ST might simply have felt that 6 successes is so rare that she wanted to give you a lot for it, and not necessarily something she intends to be precedent setting. Just discuss it with your game group, and I'm sure you can set expectations.

Not to be Nazi it was 7 success not 6. Its just when I feel its so OP almost use every session to solve the big problem.

Also another thing we are on our sixth or seventh session and I have failed maybe 4 or 5 rolls total with others all be extreme successes. Like one shotting Dancers even after they try to dodge and soak

Comment

Originally posted by negZero View Post

Also another thing we are on our sixth or seventh session and I have failed maybe 4 or 5 rolls total with others all be extreme successes. Like one shotting Dancers even after they try to dodge and soak
        What you describe is one of the vagaries of the d10 pool system. Competent/experienced characters tend to succeed at most stuff, right up until they botch a soak roll and die hideously. That said, Garou are capable of entering a death-denying frenzy, so they are a bit better protected from dying via 1 bad roll... so, hooray for that.

Most Garou need 2(!) bad rolls or a lack of rage to be killed.
        Last edited by The Laughing Stranger; 05-06-2018, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I would agree, that the number of successes warrant one big or several smaller bonuses, but send enemies, besides goons, fleeing and Willpower boosts seem a bit much.

That said, even with Crinos' +3 Stamina it's 9 dice and should be on average less then 4-to-5 successes, since every rolled 1 should subtract one from your successes.

Comment

Anthem of War should give + dice to attack rolls for all garou who took part in the fight,6 successes on the gift = +3 dice.
            the gift gives half successes in bonus trait. If you think it is too powerful you can reduce it to a standard +1 bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
              I would agree, that the number of successes warrant one big or several smaller bonuses, but send enemies, besides goons, fleeing and Willpower boosts seem a bit much.

That said, even with Crinos' +3 Stamina it's 9 dice and should be on average less then 4-to-5 successes, since every rolled 1 should subtract one from your successes.
              Yeah out of 9 dice I've rolled 7 6s or higher. One of the running themes in the game is the sheer insane luck I have in my rolls. We kept track and I've only failed 4 rolls and we're closing in on dozen sessions

And thats not even the highest amount of success I've rolled in game. That would be 13 on a damage roll, that guy is now super dead.

Comment

Originally posted by negZero View Post
                That would be 13 on a damage roll, that guy is now super dead.
                The highest roll I have ever seen is 49 successes with 14 dice, so I believe you.

Comment

Originally posted by Story Letter View Post
                  The highest roll I have ever seen is 49 successes with 14 dice, so I believe you.
                  But one would have been enough to activate the Gift

But even then, how does that work? Did you allow multiple rerolls on 10s ?

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post

But even then, how does that work? Did you allow multiple rerolls on 10s ?
                    Of course, there is no limit on how many 10ns you bring, if you keep rolling 10s you keep the successes.
                    19 of the total successes were only with one die, yup he rolled the last single die 19 consecutive turns !!!
                    That was 10 years ago with revised rules.

Comment

Working...
                    X