Ananasi and the Triat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ananasi and the Triat

Alright, so the ananasi have two laws that are really important to keep in mind for the questions I have here.

Follow the aspect and faction that Ananasa chooses for you.

Understand the ways of the Triat, both as they were and as they are. Know the difference.

As we all know, the various members of the Triat often have some overlap in what they do. For example, while chaos is usually associated with the Wyld, it is also an aspect of entropy, which is associated with the Wyrm. Likewise, both also can cause death and destruction, the Wyrm as a deliberate action and the Wyld as a side effect of bringing about change. So my first big question is this: how do you account for this in the application of Ananasa's laws for an ananasi's schemes? Let me give an example scheme as an example of what I mean. Bonus points for the first person to figure out the inspiration behind this scheme.

An ananasi, either solo or via an agent, looks into the chemical makeup of some product produced by a Pentex subsidiary. Maybe it's one of the additives in the secret sauce at O'Tolley's. Through another agent, they introduce a matching chemical into the city that, when combined with the other chemical, becomes fatal to humans. Maybe they have it cut into a street drug. However they go about it, people in their city begin dying. Maybe they stay quiet about it, maybe they use a third agent (perhaps a local blogger) to get the news out about the deaths to stir a panic in the local populace.

This kind of plan is obviously the kind of thing one of the Hatar might do (and is pretty close to the example in the Malum blurb in the breedbook), but what about the others? If a Kumoti were to do this, could they justify if as bringing about change and chaos, or would they face punishment for disobeying Ananasa and not following their faction? And if they got in trouble for it, would it be for not following their faction, or for acting upon how the Wyld is now as opposed to how it was before the Balance was broken?

This gets even more complicated when one considers the Wyrsta aspect, "who find the flaws in the beliefs of their aspect and do all they can to remedy them" (Breedbook, p. 40). Are they looking into the flaws of their aspect as it is or as it was? Take that kumoti for example. Are they going off the fact that the Wyld is too weak in the present and trying to remedy that, or are they looking at some other flaw from before, such as that the Wyld is too chaotic?

Hatar do some crazy and terrible things. It's just that 'killing people because the Wyrm said so' isn't terribly smart or interesting, and, as you note, it gets even harder to justify for the other aspects. 'Killing people because the 'Wyld/Weaver said so' isn't impossible, but there are likely better activities these Triatic agents could get up to. A Kumoti could just as easily work to install a giant bizarre and controversial work of art (such as Hirst's Verity). That would cause chaos too, if it were sufficiently large and especially surreal... but such a thing could also inspire others, and I think there is more of the Wyld in that than killing at random.

Wyrsta are a bit unusual; their calling can mean whatever they (or by extension, the player/storyteller) interpret it to mean, but I think most Ananasi are quite pragmatic.

Serving the Triat properly is complex and tricky, since it is so out of balance in the modern era. In a perfect world, the hatar could act like the fabled Balance Wyrm, but serving the Destroyer often twists and corrupts. I think the distance between how things 'ought' to be versus how they are is one of the things that makes playing an Ananasi interesting. It is easy to get seduced or confused by the influence of the Triat. A hatar doing something similar to what you described in your example may be laboring under the assumption that what they are doing is good for the Wyrm, but they could easily be wrong.

For example, I played an arachnid hatar myrmidon in a fera-only game set in the later days of the Impergium. My Ananasi's 'secret mision' was to cause the downfall of the local Garou sept. The Wyrm had been denied for too long in the region, and the Triatic influences were getting out of whack... or so he thought, anyway. Eventually he succeeded and through the use of an ancient fylfot he unwittingly released one of the Wyrm's talons. I'd like to think a Kumoti, had one been around, might have steered my Ananasi from his path, since his ideas about how to serve the Triat were indeed terribly flawed.

Comment

The Ananasi do not serve the Wyld, Weaver, or the Wyrm. The Ananasi worship Queen Ananasa, and no one else. They serve the Queen by emulating that aspect of the triat as it should be, in service to the Queen, not through executing the triat's will. They serve the Queen by shepharding the world and bringing it in line to their aspect of the triat as it should be, not as that member of the triat would wanr. The triat is sick and ineffective, and does not know what is good for it. No one knows this better than the Wystra.

Keep in mind that Ananasi are simultaniously the most tightly disciplined and completely independent of the Fera. They are free, within reason, to interpret the triat and what they should do.

If I were playing a Malim hatching that chemical plan, I would be doing it because the Wyrm's sauce us ineffective act actual murder instead of corruption, and I would be improving upon its design.

If I hatched that plan in service to the Wyld, it would be about what came after the killing. Either chaos would be a state I would be looking to inflict, or it would be a part of a larger plan to institute something else. Chaos for chaos sake usually makes for a dead spider.

Comment

I think the concept of the second law you quoted, "Understand the ways of the Triat, both as they were and as they are. Know the difference.", is very hard to grasp, as most descriptions about the triat are written as in-character texts an often they are interpretations of other tales and legends as well.

Does the triat really overlap or is death, for example, really an aspect of either, Entropy, Chaos or Stasis? We could attribute the concept of Death to all three aspects and there would always be someone to disagree. It's not part of any of these aspects, as Death is a result of all these aspects combined. Thus, all beings, Anansi or not, are able to kill.

To follow an aspect of the Triat is a whole other thing. It's to know when to kill and why.

To know the difference between the old Triat and their current manifestation is even more complicated. To know true Stasis, without the current madness of Weaver herself, is nearly impossible, as there are only few living beings who know how Weaver was in the beginning. Of course Fera have the possibility to communicate with Spirits and Ananasa herself, gaining some insight this way. Sadly, we players and storytellers don't have that, so the very concepts are hard to determine.
        That being said, Ananasa is trying to get the Triat to work in a symmetry (as she is the very incarnation of that concept). This would mean both, reminding the Triat of who (or what) they were and what went wrong. The Wyrsta would have to seek out the flaws of both, current time and past, to try and remedy them. Pretty hard job.

I don't think most Ananasi are able to grasp the dimensions of their work themselves. They are trying their best to do some stuff they feel is right, and try to survive while doing exactly that.

Comment

Working...
        X