X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shkspr1048
    started a topic Potential Gifts for the Anurana

Potential Gifts for the Anurana

Assuming that the Anurana acquire the patronage of spirits, what sort of themes should their Gift list cover, outside of physically froggy things like jumping, croaking, poisons, etc.?

• CeltSPZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Well not necessarily... I mean you can have Uktena or Fenris and be a pack in Africa. A Yama Kong’s main territory is in Asia, but it could spread out. It could also represent the Courts of the Emerald Mother could have been the ones to emancipate them.

What about instead of Frog as singular you use the different aspects of Frog, or the Amphibian Kingdom, with a definite emphasis on the theme of Frogs association with Metamorphosis. So Tree Frog for Jungle totem, Cane Frog for ravager and herald of gluttony and extinction, Salamander for a fire and water mix, Arrow Frog for lethality. Like coyote has the faces of the Trickster, you could do a Parlament of Amphibians. As they channel Frog as a symbol of Change to essentially choose a destiny not limited as a bastard spawn of the Wyrm. So their Totem could be like their Auspice, they share a breed, like Corax sharing Breed gifts, and they haven’t developed full on different tribes like Ajaba but develop individual brood cultures, with a Brood being composed of Anurana of different Totems, or Metamorph.
    I have to disagree with the first half of the post. Sure you can have people migrate, but White Wolf put a lot of effort in "othering" Asia and Asian culture while putting Garou everywhere and making it possible for any tribe to pop up wherever you can find members of the Garou nation. This is something that always bothered me about WoD. It always read like West is West and East is East in an effort to make the East come off as mysterious, different and more of an Anime or Kung Fu film then a part of the same world that the Garou and Kindred run in. When it does talk about character using the Asian themed splats in the West it tends to mention places with stereotypical Asian populations to the American mind (LA, Hawaii, NYC).

The second paragraph however I think has tons of room for fun. That would lead in time to a very fleshed out Frog culture.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by CeltSPZ View Post

I guess that part maters more on where you want to center your game. A Yama Queen makes them specifically Eastern, while Frog could be anywhere.
    Well not necessarily... I mean you can have Uktena or Fenris and be a pack in Africa. A Yama Kong’s main territory is in Asia, but it could spread out. It could also represent the Courts of the Emerald Mother could have been the ones to emancipate them.

What about instead of Frog as singular you use the different aspects of Frog, or the Amphibian Kingdom, with a definite emphasis on the theme of Frogs association with Metamorphosis. So Tree Frog for Jungle totem, Cane Frog for ravager and herald of gluttony and extinction, Salamander for a fire and water mix, Arrow Frog for lethality. Like coyote has the faces of the Trickster, you could do a Parlament of Amphibians. As they channel Frog as a symbol of Change to essentially choose a destiny not limited as a bastard spawn of the Wyrm. So their Totem could be like their Auspice, they share a breed, like Corax sharing Breed gifts, and they haven’t developed full on different tribes like Ajaba but develop individual brood cultures, with a Brood being composed of Anurana of different Totems, or Metamorph.

Leave a comment:

• shkspr1048
    replied
    Three points:
    1. I think he'd be too proud to submit to Wyrmish authority. He and the Anurana wouldn't be innocent, but rather...differently guilty.

2. Even if the Breed is collectively brought into the fold of spiritual recognition, they don't need to be all that observant. Call it the Esoteric Order of Dagon, Reformed.

3. It's a game where the protagonists are werewolves, and berserkers to boot. I say there's some wiggle room if it makes for a good game.

Leave a comment:

• CeltSPZ
    replied
    Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
    True. Another idea I had was the Anurana being backed by Cthulhu, because of the Lovecraft references in their write-up. Not the literal Great Old One, mind you, but a High Umbral spirit representative of the Mythos. Something just appeals to me about having a post-modern Totem for a post-modern Breed.

Don't think Cthulhu would be Wyrm?

Leave a comment:

• shkspr1048
    replied
    Originally posted by CeltSPZ View Post

I guess that part matters more on where you want to center your game.
    True. Another idea I had was the Anurana being backed by Cthulhu, because of the Lovecraft references in their write-up. Not the literal Great Old One, mind you, but a High Umbral spirit representative of the Mythos. Something just appeals to me about having a post-modern Totem for a post-modern Breed.

Leave a comment:

• CeltSPZ
    replied
    I was partial to the idea of Haha no Fukami, the 'uncorrupted' Yama Queen who punishes crimes against/with flames and water. See The 1000 Hells for her full write-up.
    I guess that part maters more on where you want to center your game. A Yama Queen makes them specifically Eastern, while Frog could be anywhere.
    Last edited by CeltSPZ; 10-15-2018, 08:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shkspr1048
    replied
    I was partial to the idea of Haha no Fukami, the 'uncorrupted' Yama Queen who punishes crimes against/with flames and water. See The 1000 Hells for her full write-up.
    Last edited by shkspr1048; 10-15-2018, 07:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CeltSPZ
    replied
    So what type of patron do you imagine uplifted them?

Is it too cliche to just go with Frog? Could be the result of Garou assistance who feel cleansing these little C.H.U.D.s as a form of penance for the War of Rage.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    So what type of patron do you imagine uplifted them?

Leave a comment:

• shkspr1048
    replied
    Glad you like it. I also have this:

Poison: (1) Five Venoms Kin [as Ananasi Gift: Wyrmling Kinship]; Resist Toxin [as Bone Gnawer Gift]; (2) Poison Flesh [as Get of Fenris Gift: Venom Blood, save that it poisons anyone that bites the werefrog; (3) Dazzle [as Children of Gaia Gift, representing being high/intoxicated]; (4) Crawling Poison [as Black Spiral Dancer Gift]; Serenity [as Children of Gaia Gift, representing being stoned out of your gourd];

Leave a comment:

• CeltSPZ
    replied
    I've done some thinking, and here are some ideas for Gifts:

Frog-ness (swimming, jumping, metamorphosis): (1) Shed; Frog Hop [as Lupus Gift: Hare’s Leap]; Summon Feast [as Bone Gnawer Gift: Scent of Sweet Honey]; The Innsmouth Look [as Homid Gift: Mark of the Wolf, reflects semi-illusory unpleasant appearance]; Sticky Tongue [as Silver Fang Gift: Falcon’s Grasp, but only applies to use of the Frog Tongue power]; Cling [as Uktena Gift: Spirit of the Lizard]; Camouflage [as Wendigo Gift]; (2) Hop Frog [as Fianna Gift: Flame Dance]; Gender Shift [as Black Fury Gift: Man’s Skin]; Gulp [as Rokea General Gift]; (3) Patagia [as Black Spiral Dancer Gift, taught by Flying Frog]; Great Leap [as Silent Strider Gift]; The Second Plague [as Camazotz Gift: Thousand Wing Form, except the Crawlerling-type body can swim and is made of frogs]; (4) Cocoon [as Homid Gift]; Doppelganger [as Glass Walker Gift]; (5) Protean Form [as Metis Gift];

Sound (frog-calls): (1) Call of the Wyld; (2) Call of the Wyrm; Distractions; Ominous Croaking [as Galliard Gift: Howls in the Night]; (3) Song of the Siren;

Actually, very happy with this list and will be co-opting it for my own games.

Leave a comment:

• shkspr1048
    replied
    I've done some thinking, and here are some ideas for Gifts:

Frog-ness (swimming, jumping, metamorphosis): (1) Shed; Frog Hop [as Lupus Gift: Hare’s Leap]; Summon Feast [as Bone Gnawer Gift: Scent of Sweet Honey]; The Innsmouth Look [as Homid Gift: Mark of the Wolf, reflects semi-illusory unpleasant appearance]; Sticky Tongue [as Silver Fang Gift: Falcon’s Grasp, but only applies to use of the Frog Tongue power]; Cling [as Uktena Gift: Spirit of the Lizard]; Camouflage [as Wendigo Gift]; (2) Hop Frog [as Fianna Gift: Flame Dance]; Gender Shift [as Black Fury Gift: Man’s Skin]; Gulp [as Rokea General Gift]; (3) Patagia [as Black Spiral Dancer Gift, taught by Flying Frog]; Great Leap [as Silent Strider Gift]; The Second Plague [as Camazotz Gift: Thousand Wing Form, except the Crawlerling-type body can swim and is made of frogs]; (4) Cocoon [as Homid Gift]; Doppelganger [as Glass Walker Gift]; (5) Protean Form [as Metis Gift];

Sound (frog-calls): (1) Call of the Wyld; (2) Call of the Wyrm; Distractions; Ominous Croaking [as Galliard Gift: Howls in the Night]; (3) Song of the Siren;

Leave a comment:

• CeltSPZ
    replied
    I was a fan of the Debased as well...kept kicking around using them in one of my games. I thought they'd be a fun curve ball for the players (esp since they aren't in any cannon books I'm the only one in my group to know about them...a surprise for once).

Leave a comment:

• Derzhuzad
    replied
    A good reference would be I Hate All Life's Debased homebrew, the Dog Shifters.
    You don't happen to still has access to that homebrew writeup do you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X