Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver Fang Houses and Australia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Silver Fang Houses and Australia

    Working on running some stuff in Australia, and I was wondering if anyone knew what house was in Australia, or is it a mix of houses? I wondered as America and Canada seem to get their own house (or houses in the case of the US).

  • #2
    None to my knowledge. But you could have people historically linked to the Lost House Winter Snow or be part of the Southeast Asian House Blood Red Crest.


    Project consolidation:
    Rough Draft: Dhole Shifters, Ottawa By Night, Tribebook Bunyip, Garou Variant
    In redaction: Lasombra Bloodline

    Comment


    • #3
      I think Rage Across Australia predated the original Silver Fangs tribe book and so had no houses mentioned. In my games, I've always had Austere Howl of England/The British Isles be the predominant house in Australia (as well as in the Cape region of South Africa and a few other corners of the old Empire), with a growing presence of Blood Red Crest and to a lesser extent Wise Heart. But that's just me. There really is no wrong answer here.

      (As for the US, I have always seen Unbreakable Hearth as the "Canadian" house, at least in the sense that I always had their center of power and influence be in what used to be Upper Canada with many of their Kin being Loyalists who moved there after the American Revolution, and as a result they kind of dominate the Great Lakes/Midwest US the way Wyrmfoe does the Eastern Seaboard.)


      What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
        I think Rage Across Australia predated the original Silver Fangs tribe book and so had no houses mentioned. In my games, I've always had Austere Howl of England/The British Isles be the predominant house in Australia (as well as in the Cape region of South Africa and a few other corners of the old Empire), with a growing presence of Blood Red Crest and to a lesser extent Wise Heart. But that's just me. There really is no wrong answer here.

        (As for the US, I have always seen Unbreakable Hearth as the "Canadian" house, at least in the sense that I always had their center of power and influence be in what used to be Upper Canada with many of their Kin being Loyalists who moved there after the American Revolution, and as a result they kind of dominate the Great Lakes/Midwest US the way Wyrmfoe does the Eastern Seaboard.)

        Interesting take for Unbreakable Hearth as pure Canadian....it makes a lot of sense. Always had the feel that the Silver Fangs were rather restricted in their range which felt weird...toss in their historical overwhelming description of looking like they were Targaryans made them feel even more awkward.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
          In my games, I've always had Austere Howl of England/The British Isles be the predominant house in Australia (as well as in the Cape region of South Africa and a few other corners of the old Empire), with a growing presence of Blood Red Crest and to a lesser extent Wise Heart. But that's just me. There really is no wrong answer here.
          I used Austere Howl as well, as the initial kinfolk immigrants would have most likely come from Britain.

          Since Australia is a very early sourcebook (1994), it has things that don't match well to future developments (SF tribebook is from 1997). The SF Darius Winchester isn't a king of a SF royal house, but "King of Australia." So an ST has to come up with ways to explain how there can be a king who isn't actually a king. Perhaps an easy solution would be that Darius is in the process of forming a brand new SF house (that can happen, Wyrmfoe didn't exist as its own royal house until the Inquisition era). so he's a "king" of a new royal house with a dubious reputation - accepted by some, but not others. If he succeeds in locating the Bunyip, perhaps that will cement acceptance of a new royal house.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
            Since Australia is a very early sourcebook (1994), it has things that don't match well to future developments (SF tribebook is from 1997). The SF Darius Winchester isn't a king of a SF royal house, but "King of Australia." So an ST has to come up with ways to explain how there can be a king who isn't actually a king. Perhaps an easy solution would be that Darius is in the process of forming a brand new SF house (that can happen, Wyrmfoe didn't exist as its own royal house until the Inquisition era). so he's a "king" of a new royal house with a dubious reputation - accepted by some, but not others. If he succeeds in locating the Bunyip, perhaps that will cement acceptance of a new royal house.
            My group wants to play something involving the Bunyip. The idea of Darius using and endorsing them as a way to prop up a brand new house is an intriguing idea. Now to think up a name and a totem....

            Comment


            • #7
              It seems all SF Houses have totems that are birds of prey. I just looked, and the additional totems listed in the SF tribe book (Wyvern and Heron) are not. So there's no obvious option. I suggest you pick a name of a bird of prey known to be in Australia (but which isn't already taken by another house) and write up your own totem. Kites are a bird of prey found in Australia, and that family is also well known in europe. Kites are known for their long wings and graceful, gliding flight.

              Another option is that SF home sept, and also home to the continental Jindabyne Council that unites the tribes, has the caern totem of the wedge tailed eagle. The totem is written up in the Rage book.

              I'm not exactly sure how a royal house gets its own totem. That may take a quest all its own.

              Rage Across Australia mentions that Darius Winchester served under his uncle, the previous SF King of Australia. So it might be that soon after the first Silver Fangs arrived on the continent, they decided they claimed all of Australia as their new protectorate, thus making them their own royal house which other local Garou accepted, but which the established SF houses did not. A new protectorate needs a new king. Those upstarts!

              Rather than naming the royal house yourself, you may want to leave it open. The origin of royal house names isn't clear, but the story of Wyrm Foe suggests it was appellation given to them for their accomplishments. You may want to have the quest for the bunyip play out, and depending on what happens in game, use that as inspiration for the name the house might be given. When it finally assumes its dynastic name, it'll be the culmination of the attempt to become one.

              The Rage book has a very negative portrayal of the SF tribe. The tribe is supposed to be politically inept and unknowing puppets of the Glass Walkers. And Darius himself, despite his Pure Breed of 4, has a terrible physical presence - not what you expect from a king. And he's in love with a vampire whom he meets in secret. The book does its best to convince you that he needs to be removed for better leadership. At the same time, the actual character write up shows that Darius is serious about restoring his tribe's greatness and has a bold vision to do so. So you can play this out in various ways. It could be fun to initially portray Darius as weak and inept, but slowly reveal to the PCs that he is actually competent, driven, and visionary - someone truly worthy even though he does not look like it. The PCs might very well become his "paladins" to unite the other tribes behind them and protect him from his rivals within the tribe as they help execute his vision since they're really the ones who also believe in locating the lost Bunyip. Or you make the fortunes of the SF king and his house independent of what the PCs do, and just make him someone who can assist with their quest. Whatever you feel is fun, and diverge from canon if you want.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                It seems all SF Houses have totems that are birds of prey. I just looked, and the additional totems listed in the SF tribe book (Wyvern and Heron) are not. So there's no obvious option. I suggest you pick a name of a bird of prey known to be in Australia (but which isn't already taken by another house) and write up your own totem. Kites are a bird of prey found in Australia, and that family is also well known in europe. Kites are known for their long wings and graceful, gliding flight.

                Another option is that SF home sept, and also home to the continental Jindabyne Council that unites the tribes, has the caern totem of the wedge tailed eagle. The totem is written up in the Rage book.

                I'm not exactly sure how a royal house gets its own totem. That may take a quest all its own.

                Rage Across Australia mentions that Darius Winchester served under his uncle, the previous SF King of Australia. So it might be that soon after the first Silver Fangs arrived on the continent, they decided they claimed all of Australia as their new protectorate, thus making them their own royal house which other local Garou accepted, but which the established SF houses did not. A new protectorate needs a new king. Those upstarts!

                Rather than naming the royal house yourself, you may want to leave it open. The origin of royal house names isn't clear, but the story of Wyrm Foe suggests it was appellation given to them for their accomplishments. You may want to have the quest for the bunyip play out, and depending on what happens in game, use that as inspiration for the name the house might be given. When it finally assumes its dynastic name, it'll be the culmination of the attempt to become one.

                The Rage book has a very negative portrayal of the SF tribe. The tribe is supposed to be politically inept and unknowing puppets of the Glass Walkers. And Darius himself, despite his Pure Breed of 4, has a terrible physical presence - not what you expect from a king. And he's in love with a vampire whom he meets in secret. The book does its best to convince you that he needs to be removed for better leadership. At the same time, the actual character write up shows that Darius is serious about restoring his tribe's greatness and has a bold vision to do so. So you can play this out in various ways. It could be fun to initially portray Darius as weak and inept, but slowly reveal to the PCs that he is actually competent, driven, and visionary - someone truly worthy even though he does not look like it. The PCs might very well become his "paladins" to unite the other tribes behind them and protect him from his rivals within the tribe as they help execute his vision since they're really the ones who also believe in locating the lost Bunyip. Or you make the fortunes of the SF king and his house independent of what the PCs do, and just make him someone who can assist with their quest. Whatever you feel is fun, and diverge from canon if you want.

                There is a lot here I can do that my player's aren't even thinking of. They are American not even Australian just taking this task up to them and feeling it needs to be done. One of them is a Silver Fang (Wyrm Foe), I think there is a lot of potential here. I think playing Darius as the underestimated Fang who could be a decent King and letting the group tie the Bunyip into King making could be fun, but also leave the option open for maybe the Player is able to usurp Darius (if he wants it).

                Comment

                Working...
                X