A possible idea for the Future Storyteller vault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A possible idea for the Future Storyteller vault

I am planning on writing something for the Werewolf Storyteller Vault when it comes out. My idea is a piece of fiction set in a Summer Camp during the 80s or 90s. The story itself would be a coming-of age story written in the form of a diary owned by the main character, Larry James Haler, a camper who is a member of a boy scouts-like organization called The Junior Foresters. Throughout the story, things from the Werewolf part of the CWoD start manifesting in and around the camp, at first subtly, but becoming more and more apparent to the main characters as the story goes on. Among these are Fomori, some Fera, PENTEX operations, spirits, and of course, Garou. Would anyone be interested in reading a story like this and can i have some advice on making this type of story fit in Werewolf?
    Last edited by Killerclown; 06-21-2018, 12:12 AM.

The subtle influence of Spirits either affecting the world or the campers affecting them. What do the Junior Foresters do? Do they teach kids to respect nature? Clean up litter? Do the Troop Leaders teach kids how to venerate the natural world? Good chance if the Junior Foresters have been around a good amount of time a spirit might manifest to reflect the organization's teachings, like the Ultimate Forester. If campers go out and about away from the Foresters camp and encounter things they shouldnt, the spirit might manifest to protect his Wards.

The campers might even befriend spirits on their own, find an injured animal in the woods and do first aid on it to the best of their abilities or if the animal is to far gone give it its last rites and release it from the mortal coil.

Comment

It be nice if the book could also be like an in game larp prop.

Comment

The Junior Foresters as an organization believes in respecting nature and the environment around them. The organization has been around since the 20s, so there is a good chance that a spirit representing their ideals has manifested by now. The Forester's themselves do things like clean litter, go on nature hikes, help the community, and other things you would expect a boys scout-like organization to do.

I might think about making this idea also double as a Game Prop. But, i do wonder what Garou or Fera PCs could really do with a journal owned by a Junior Forester from the 90s? I should also determin what encounters with Fera and Garou should be like for the Main Characters.
        Last edited by Killerclown; 06-22-2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Also, would the Ultimate Ranger technically be a Mascot Spirit?

Comment

Actually, i do like the idea of having the boys encounter spirits, with one becoming a totem if they like them enough. Though, i do wonder what totem would really be interested in a group of Junior Foresters?
            Last edited by Killerclown; 06-23-2018, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
              Also, would the Ultimate Ranger technically be a Mascot Spirit?
              Most likely yes and the Ultimate Ranger could be a totem on its own for a group of kids in the Organization it represents. If you wanna stick with normal totems Owl and other totems of Wisdom and Honor would probably be interested as the Junior Foresters uphold both of those as tenants of their brotherhood by using the Wisdom they gain to as it was once told to me leave only footsteps, to protect the world and how they ascend through the ranks is a system of Honor.

Spirits who might be interest in the foresters might be spirits of animals they've aided, or natural monuments they've cleaned up. One of the campers in a Changeling game Im running has attracted the attention of a spirit you can find in Book of the City known as a Recycler, they can purify hazardous materials so might be catching a ride with the Foresters from a trip in the City cleaning a park, etc. They might get the attention of elementals as well and receive minor blessings in the form of boons or talens, these last two 'gifts' could be bestowed by any spirit whose invested in the lives of these foresters because they have gone beyond the call of duty for the Organization. If these were kinfolk this would be an opportunity for them to receive a actual Spirit Gift.

As for the idea of a Junior Foresters Guidebook being a prop, it could be used as a foresters guide showing various herbs and other plant life and their medicinal uses. Descriptions of hazardous things to avoid including insect life! As a garou you do not want to be swarmed by say fire ants or any other swarming insect thats way of inflicting damage also delivers a dose of poison. In the hands of some Fera or Garou it might even make a potent fetish that's a utility item meant more for the hands of Kinfolk over Garou.

Comment

Originally posted by Freederp92 View Post

Most likely yes and the Ultimate Ranger could be a totem on its own for a group of kids in the Organization it represents. If you wanna stick with normal totems Owl and other totems of Wisdom and Honor would probably be interested as the Junior Foresters uphold both of those as tenants of their brotherhood by using the Wisdom they gain to as it was once told to me leave only footsteps, to protect the world and how they ascend through the ranks is a system of Honor.

Spirits who might be interest in the foresters might be spirits of animals they've aided, or natural monuments they've cleaned up. One of the campers in a Changeling game Im running has attracted the attention of a spirit you can find in Book of the City known as a Recycler, they can purify hazardous materials so might be catching a ride with the Foresters from a trip in the City cleaning a park, etc. They might get the attention of elementals as well and receive minor blessings in the form of boons or talens, these last two 'gifts' could be bestowed by any spirit whose invested in the lives of these foresters because they have gone beyond the call of duty for the Organization. If these were kinfolk this would be an opportunity for them to receive a actual Spirit Gift.

As for the idea of a Junior Foresters Guidebook being a prop, it could be used as a foresters guide showing various herbs and other plant life and their medicinal uses. Descriptions of hazardous things to avoid including insect life! As a garou you do not want to be swarmed by say fire ants or any other swarming insect thats way of inflicting damage also delivers a dose of poison. In the hands of some Fera or Garou it might even make a potent fetish that's a utility item meant more for the hands of Kinfolk over Garou.
                I am picturing the main characters taking either Stag, Owl, Raven, Unicorn or possibly The Ultimate Ranger as their totem. I am not sure how other totems like Pegasus or Chimera would interact with them. Also, i am planning a scene where the main character have to sneak into a PENTEX lumber operation at night to get a flag a jerk senior year camper placed there for a scavenger hunt. Somehow, they get caught, but not before seeing some "questionable" things. Mostly the heavily militarized security guards. How do you think PENTEX would handle a situation like this and how could the boys possibly get out of that type of situation alive?

Comment

I am picturing the main characters taking either Stag, Owl, Raven, Unicorn or possibly The Ultimate Ranger as their totem. I am not sure how other totems like Pegasus or Chimera would interact with them. Also, i am planning a scene where the main character have to sneak into a PENTEX lumber operation at night to get a flag a jerk senior year camper placed there for a scavenger hunt. Somehow, they get caught, but not before seeing some "questionable" things. Mostly the heavily militarized security guards. How do you think PENTEX would handle a situation like this and how could the boys possibly get out of that type of situation alive?

Also id like to remind you that the Wyrm has a boy scout like organization in its thrall but not under PENTEX and that bugs them. The Serpent Brotherhood has deep roots, politicians, CEO's and people in high places have been members and their kids are in the thick of it. The troops of the Brotherhood are possessed by a singular bane that possesses them when they take the initiation rite. They're 'good' boys who create campsites and roads in untamed wilderness, do the 'right' thing for Mother Nature.

As for Totems I can offer the advice of my prior ST who gave it to me, Totems bonding with mortals or a Pack will find spirits closer to them and their nature more called to them. Unicorn might appear to a group who protected a Glade from defilement or stared down an enemy over a hurt friend and fought tooth and nail to prevent further harm. Chimera being a really esoteric spirit might be a harder one to appear before campers. Raven is one who believes his followers need no wealth as Raven will make sure they will have what they need, Im playing a Yote following Raven and its been a hoot. Owl and Stag are both interesting ones as well, and both could easily take interest in knowledge and honor. I also wrote a ultimate forester totem write up if you're interested in seeing it. Its loosely based on one I use in my changeling game for another 'camp'..

The infiltration and capture by a PENTEX field team because you ran into their site to find a thing probably will result in drugging and releasing if they saw things they shouldn't have seen. Fomori in their unholy glory might pop Delirium and if any of the kids don't run in sheer terror fright then they will realize they have a problem. Kinfolk can run off and tell their friends and family and a operation REALLY doesn't want that. Also what is PENTEX up too? Are they just pulling captain planet level problems or trying to uproot a forest to release an ancient Bane that's been imprisoned in a old vault crafted by Uktena and Fianna theurges from the roots of ancient redwood trees.

Comment

I would like to see the write-up if you still have it Freederp92. Also, if i choose Raven as their totem i am picturing a scene where the campers stumble upon money in the middle of the forest and have to try their hardest to resist the allure of it, lest they anger Raven.

Also, PENTEX is just there as part of a deforesting scheme.
                    Last edited by Killerclown; 06-26-2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I would like to see the write-up if you still have it Freederp92. Also, if i choose Raven as their totem i am picturing a scene where the campers stumble upon money in the middle of the forest and have to try their hardest to resist the allure of it, lest they anger Raven.

Also, PENTEX is just there as part of a deforesting scheme.

I PRESENT.....

ULTIMATE FORESTER
                      From the dawn of the Junior Foresters there has been a inkling of spiritual potential and as the organization grew so did spirits power. It has seen many faces as it changed with the times, beginning as a organization of boys and men to the modern day of accepting everyone of all colors and kinds. The Ultimate Forester appears at all of the Grand Moots of the Junior Foresters as their rites to promote Fresters through the ranks invoke their name and the Forester pins the mark of ascension upon the next generation.
                      Totem Cost: 7
                      Individual Traits: Ultimate Foresters followers receive 2 Dots of Survival and reduce difficulty of rolls for survival in harsh environments such as building fires, makeshift shelters, and discerning if plants are poisonous by 2.
                      Pack Traits: Packs dedicated to the Ultimate Forester may call on Them for 3 Dots of Animal Ken, Herbalism, and Veterinary Medicine and 3 points of Willpower per Story. Animal spirits have a good disposition to those who follow the Ultimate Forester if they follow the Ban.
                      Ban: The Ultimate Forester insist his followers clean the environment, work hard to support community and the sense of honor the Junior Foresters strive to keep relevant.

I picture this spirit is very active in regards to the organization, possibly the ritual and rites to promote foresters through the ranks might be signified by the patch itself being of imbued with gnosis or some manner of minor spiritual magic. I've also got two versions of a Scouts Book fetish made, one for Kin and one for proper shifters. My current game I'm playing in started as a summer camp of shifters so I have a fair bit of camper magic item written up, several of which are disguised as camp crafting.

Also all right, if this really is just a PENTEX deforestation they probably dont have a heavy wrecking fomori crew on site. There could easily be some fomori or a few armed guards around to deal with 'wild ' animals that might not be to happy about their homebeing wrecked.They might also be dumping industrial defoliant and gassing out the wildlife to corrupt the place and prevent future growth and to keep out potential threats. The kids could also encounter Fomori animals in these toxic zones that might cause problems. Something that I've done in my changeling game is have a land Kami in the deep woods and the motley has recently protected it after a group of fomori and a BSD tried to corrupt and bring it into the Wyrms thrall. The deforestation could be an attempt to destroy a Kami that inhabits a certain part of the woods, that way the spirit can't try and flee and would fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Freederp92 View Post

I PRESENT.....

ULTIMATE FORESTER
                        From the dawn of the Junior Foresters there has been a inkling of spiritual potential and as the organization grew so did spirits power. It has seen many faces as it changed with the times, beginning as a organization of boys and men to the modern day of accepting everyone of all colors and kinds. The Ultimate Forester appears at all of the Grand Moots of the Junior Foresters as their rites to promote Fresters through the ranks invoke their name and the Forester pins the mark of ascension upon the next generation.
                        Totem Cost: 7
                        Individual Traits: Ultimate Foresters followers receive 2 Dots of Survival and reduce difficulty of rolls for survival in harsh environments such as building fires, makeshift shelters, and discerning if plants are poisonous by 2.
                        Pack Traits: Packs dedicated to the Ultimate Forester may call on Them for 3 Dots of Animal Ken, Herbalism, and Veterinary Medicine and 3 points of Willpower per Story. Animal spirits have a good disposition to those who follow the Ultimate Forester if they follow the Ban.
                        Ban: The Ultimate Forester insist his followers clean the environment, work hard to support community and the sense of honor the Junior Foresters strive to keep relevant.

I picture this spirit is very active in regards to the organization, possibly the ritual and rites to promote foresters through the ranks might be signified by the patch itself being of imbued with gnosis or some manner of minor spiritual magic. I've also got two versions of a Scouts Book fetish made, one for Kin and one for proper shifters. My current game I'm playing in started as a summer camp of shifters so I have a fair bit of camper magic item written up, several of which are disguised as camp crafting.

Also all right, if this really is just a PENTEX deforestation they probably dont have a heavy wrecking fomori crew on site. There could easily be some fomori or a few armed guards around to deal with 'wild ' animals that might not be to happy about their homebeing wrecked.They might also be dumping industrial defoliant and gassing out the wildlife to corrupt the place and prevent future growth and to keep out potential threats. The kids could also encounter Fomori animals in these toxic zones that might cause problems. Something that I've done in my changeling game is have a land Kami in the deep woods and the motley has recently protected it after a group of fomori and a BSD tried to corrupt and bring it into the Wyrms thrall. The deforestation could be an attempt to destroy a Kami that inhabits a certain part of the woods, that way the spirit can't try and flee and would fall.

If it's ready i wouldn't mind seeing the stats you got for the stat book. Also, i can see how seeing the "mutated" animals can be a problem for PENTEX, especially if the boys get away. Also, i was considering having a Kami live near the camp and actually be of a benevolent disposition towards the Foresters. I wonder what it's purpose could've been?

Comment

If it's ready i wouldn't mind seeing the stats you got for the stat book. Also, i can see how seeing the "mutated" animals can be a problem for PENTEX, especially if the boys get away. Also, i was considering having a Kami live near the camp and actually be of a benevolent disposition towards the Foresters. I wonder what it's purpose could've been?

Stats for what? For the Ultimate Forester? Or one of the other things I mentioned

The Kami in such a location could be the like Gaias littlest cathedral, a place where pred and prey go to heal terrible wounds and magic obscures the place. It possibly has a physical avatar to defend it if something were to find it and attempts to corrupt or destroy it, in my game I had something similar to Swamp Thing protecting a old Marauders Tomb. PENTEX might try and corrupt and force the animals to flee to these hidden glade, might shoot one with a Tag so they can find it. Your Foresters might find one such animal on their own as it fled the forest getting close to camps trying to not lead to the downfall of the Kami. This could be a plot hook for them to tend to its wounds before it runs off and they could give chase.

Comment

I meant the stats for the handbooks. Also, good suggestion for the Kami. Also, since this story is set in the Werewolf setting, it is kinda obvious they are gonna run into a Garou, or at least a Fera eventually. The worst case is that they run into a Red Talon. Though, i do wonder how to handle runs ins with both Garou and Fera.

Comment

It depends on the Fera in question as well as the Garous Tribe, your Foresters might find the Kami example I made above and find a Guruhls been there slumbering for an untold amount of time and thanks the boys for protecting his place of rest. Or a Nuwisha stops by the camp just to make some trouble while he travels about, possibly fulfilling his duty to Coyote or the Totem he follows and leading Garou astray to something Gaia needs taken care of. If the boys are Kinfolk Delirium won't affect them but seeing a Crinos is still gonna spook a bunch of kids, but if they have the protection of gaian spirits they might pause before attacking or harassing. If the Garou is a CoG they might see the Foresters work in a positive light, as would probably BG and GWs as Foresters do both good work in and out of the cities. They might have even noticed the organizations potential for cultivating spiritual growth and a closeness with Gaia have sent some of their own kinfolk to become part of such a group to keep the essence of the wilderness still present in the Tribes who call the city home.
                              Master Foresters Guide
                              Gnosis:7 Level:4
                              This heavy leather bound tome bears the crest of the first generation of the Junior Foresters, inside is written every name of the first Troop and all the lore contained within is written by hand. The tome is heavy and thicker than a textbook but within is knowledge of all wild things from how to discern if a plant or fungus is poisonous, how to build wilderness shelters, what to do to traverse the wilderness and know where to go to find safe waters and if not how to make things safe to eat and drink. This Guide was lost for a time, reappearing in the hands of Foresters in need when they become lost and unable to find their way home. Within this Guide is bound three spirits, an Owl spirit gives the guide Wisdom when the reader needs something specific within the purview of the guide hosted within the feather that is tethered as a bookmark, the compass built into the tomes cover is hosting a spirit of a Fallen Star so they may know their way as they travel, and hidden inside its many pages is a gold loop that is filed with a piece of natural glass that is enchanted with spirit sight. Because of the age and the magic woven into the book it is effectively always active, the reader always find the thing they are searching for in its text, the compass always points true north, and the glass monocle always shows the presence of spirits. When the book is consulted the reader receives a reduced difficulty on their next ability check.
                              Junior Foresters Guide
                              Gnosis:4 Level:1
                              This slime hardback book is handbound and its pages printed, its cover is rough to the touch and smells of the forest. This tomebook is often in the hands of Junior Foresters but the magic in them is not yet active, this is an example of such a active Guide. Its cover bears the title Junior Foresters Guide and bears the organization's brand and inside its filled with an assortment of information that is relevant to the young foresters journey from tent building and firemaking to the assembling of traps and basic plant lore. The spirit of this book is Awakened upon the initiation of the Forester to the second tier of Honors and is always active. When the book is consulted it decreases the Difficulty of all survival checks by 2 as the spirit insures the Forester gets accurate information..

I've got plenty more where this came from lol

Comment

Working...
                              X