What kind of mundane Equipment benefits one in the wilderness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of mundane Equipment benefits one in the wilderness

was thinking, what kind of mundane equipment would a sept probaly want?

Thinking of anything but a Red Talon Sept that abhor's and kind of technolagy.

or a Urban Sept.

Most will probaly have a few buildings somewhere in the bawn.

Are Dutch Oven's or Portable Stoves that likely to be big things?

Off the top of my head: knives, fishing nets, rope, buckets, shovels and other landscaping tools ... the homids might prefer bowhunting over hunting as wolves ... any simple tool that's helpful for cooking over a fire pit, like a dutch oven or cast iron pan, seems reasonable. Are you going to start fires by summoning fire spirits, or would you like to have flint on hand? Having a small reflective piece of something, like a mirror, would be super useful for stepping sideways in a dry climate where it's hard to find a reflective surface in the landscape. Also there's a portrait in the W20 core book of a Silent Strider carrying a walking stick and wearing a backpack, and I think it's his silhouette on the back page of the character sheet.
    Last edited by Wilson; 06-25-2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

hmmn found app's on my smartphone for how to make knot's

and for a kinfolk, who only visits the sept to do chores once or twice a month, in a lul from his Day Job. I think its reasonable to want cell phone apps to consult info in a hurry.

Not sure what kind of knots to use for tying someone up.

Comment

It would depend on how rural and/or isolated the sept is, I think. If you want to go totally stone-age, everything up to and including shelters and tools can be created from rocks, plants and animals that are trapped or hunted. The next step up would be knives, flint based fire starters, and blankets/bed rolls. Then (usually cast iron) cook ware, the hand tools for creating log cabins and other frontier style buildings. If you go high tech to allow Kinfolk who aren't Grizzly Adams style mountain men (and wow, how badly does that reference date me?) to be there, probably compasses (which may or may not work properly depending on various mystical factors in play around the Caern), tents and/or cabins, and some method of food storage (even if just a smoke house, a root cellar and a spring house). Water sources could be anything from a natural spring or pump well to collected rain water. More militant places are likely to have Kinfolk armed with firearms including pistols and rifles.

One possibility is that members of the sept consistently scrounge the boarders and other areas for human junk and other refuse, cleaning up the area and reusing, repurposing and recycling anything they find into useful objects for the Sept. This is especially fitting if the Caern totems is something that encourages that sort of thing.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

If you're deep in the wilderness, you might want scissors, awls, needles, thread, etc., for craft work, mending clothes, cutting hair, and as first aid tools for injured kinfolk in need. Also think of farming tools if you're going to have more than a vegetable garden. You might also like to try your hand at making moonshine or homebrewing beer, which will take some large but fairly low-tech equipment.

Comment

Was thinking on things.

Think Kickstarter had quite a few things come from it that would benefit a sept.

A Portable Stove, or Oven, might work.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
              A Portable Stove, or Oven, might work.
              A campfire and a dutch oven is the very definition of a portable stove + oven.

Comment

it isnt too weird to live in the wilderness then carry high tech with you?

like a portable air conditioner in your tent, in case it gets too hot.

Comment

it isnt too weird to live in the wilderness then carry high tech with you?

like a portable air conditioner in your tent, in case it gets too hot.
                  Only the bitchiest werewolf is going to need such a thing. Maybe an out of touch Glasswalker noob would do something so ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post

Only the bitchiest werewolf is going to need such a thing. Maybe an out of touch Glasswalker noob would do something so ridiculous.
                    I would play that character in a hot second.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post

What About Kinfolk?

Especialy those whose Dayjob is in town, and come out to the Sept every month or so to take turns doing chores?

That or taking a phone app for identifying herbs, dangerous plants, or advise on knots works well.
                      Last edited by Prince of the Night; 06-28-2018, 07:22 AM.

Comment

They can’t just.. make due? Learn without a smart phone, or sweat a bit instead of having some monkey device strapped to them?

The things you are proposing aren’t impossible, but they certainly aren’t necessary. If you want to illustrate that the person is unfamiliar with an area, sure, have them rely on an app to identify flora. Alternatively, they could have been taught what plants are what- Boy Scouts can do that. It all depends on how you want to portray these characters.

Comment

Valid point

I was in boy scouts, but I cant identify plants that well anymore.

Could just be my age, and I was only in for 2 years.

Think it will work quickly enough for a kinfolk who donates a day or two each month?

Also might be in degree's

e.g. the New guy trying to memorize things... but still checking the app to be sure.

And I could see more experience people having the app on their phone, but only getting it out once every few months or so, when they see something they rarely do.

Like owning a dictionary, and trying to work on your vocabulary, you use it to help you work on your vocabulary or as a resource to turn to when your stuck.
                          Last edited by Prince of the Night; 06-29-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Also might be in degree's
                            e.g. the New guy trying to memorize things... but still checking the app to be sure.
                            And I could see more experience people having the app on their phone, but only getting it out once every few months or so, when they see something they rarely do.
                            Like owning a dictionary, and trying to work on your vocabulary, you use it to help you work on your vocabulary or as a resource to turn to when your stuck.
                            In the wilderness, where everything is gritty and they don't have electrical sockets, it would be more practical to keep a book or handwritten notes than rely on a smartphone app. Also cell phones are sooo apey-weavery, and they're going to get you picked on, especially by the lupus. On the other hand, those scenes with "Bitchy the Glasswalker Noob" could be entertaining for the whole table!

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                              I would play that character in a hot second.
                              I see what you did there.

Comment

Working...
                              X