Which successes do rolled ones negate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson
    started a topic Which successes do rolled ones negate?

Which successes do rolled ones negate?

Imagine your character rolls the following result against a difficulty of 6: (10, 9, 8, 4, 1). According to the rules, the 1 negates one of your successful rolls, which in this case are (10, 9, 8). How do you decide which success is negated by the 1? There will be cases where it doesn't matter, but an example of where it could matter is in a contested roll, where the rival rolled (9, 9, 4). If the 1 negates the lowest success, then your (10, 9) could be considered a win over the rival's (9, 9), but if the 1 negates the highest success, the rival's (9, 9) at least ties your (9, 8).

If you're counting 10s as double successes, when you roll (10, 1), does the 1 negate only one of the successes from the 10, leaving you with a single success, or does it negate the entire 10, leaving you with a simple failure?

This question probably applies across the CWoD rules, so if the moderators would like to move it up a level in the forums that's fine.
    Last edited by Wilson; 06-26-2018, 08:23 PM.

• Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by Cadmiumcadamium View Post
    Also, I've never seen anywhere were the specific number makes a difference when comparing successes. the 9,9 vs 9,8 or 10,9 doesn't make sense to me. It's still 2 succ vs 2 succ.
    Then that's probably just a house rule our storyteller uses to resolve ties quickly in certain kinds of contested rolls. Also when a character rolls something like multiple 9s or 10s on an information-gathering roll, he'll reward that with a little extra detail.

Leave a comment:

• Cadmiumcadamium
    replied
    I always calculate the number of successes first and then remove successes if there are any 1's.
    So a roll of 10,9,8,1 with a specialty would have (1x2)+1+1-1=3 successes.

Also, I've never seen anywhere were the specific number makes a difference when comparing successes. the 9,9 vs 9,8 or 10,9 doesn't make sense to me. It's still 2 succ vs 2 succ.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasM
    replied
    W:tA 1st Edition had rolled 1s negate rolled 10's first, probably because it was the edition most focused on making the character's eek out every little success they could get. I think that was dropped in subsequent editions and, as Heavy Arms points out, the W20 specialty rules make it a moot point.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilson View Post
    How do you decide which success is negated by the 1?
    You don't, because it doesn't matter. A success generated by a 8 and one by a 9 are equal to each other. Having a 10 and a 9 vs. two 9s is a tie in the rules.

If you're counting 10s as double successes, when you roll (10, 1), does the 1 negate only one of the successes from the 10, leaving you with a single success, or does it negate the entire 10, leaving you with a simple failure?
    You retain 1 success.

Leave a comment:

• AzraelFirestorm
    replied
    Personally, I remove the lowest numbers rolled in the case of 1's. I ran into this issue years ago and that seemed like the most reliable way to go about it at my table. It feels more fair to players during contested rolls, as well, especially in the case of PvP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X