Comprehending Cosmology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comprehending Cosmology

I may be wrong about this, but after reading through the various wta books I'm pretty sure the garou are missing some of their own cosmology.

I mean between how some of the other fera(like the mokole) think of the wyrm and how wyrm taint seems to show up on anything too out of balance to function, I'm not sure that the wyrm so much went crazy and stopped eating things that're non-functional, as it at some point decided gaia and her brood are non-functional. The werewolves did in fact create the apocalypse themselves by sparking the war of rage after all, no wyrm input necessary.

It's like how some things that'd seem like weaver or wyld problems generate wyrm taint. Cancer, a problem derived from random code being introduced into a functioning genome, immediately starts presenting wyrm taint the moment it becomes an illness. Wyrm taint also seems to act as a kind of warning beacon that let's anyone sensitive to it know something is wrong in the area and how severely wrong it is. Granted this doesn't make the wyrm a good thing to be celebrated, it just becomes Not so much a cosmic evil as as a cosmic force of nature as the things generating and calling it are what happens on our side of things.

Then again in Meta this can all be chalked up to writer disagreements and authors misunderstanding some parts of the cosmology(like that one scenario in time of judgement acting like the wyld taking control of the world Wouldn't result in a chaotic hellscape of random short-lived changes). CWOD pre-20th book Are however written from the perspective of a person living in the WOD for a reason( *Cough* Unreliable Narrator *Cough* ) so having disagreements between changing breeds about cosmology coming down to all of them having a piece of a Very complex picture is probably the intent(though I'm likely just as wrong as the rest of them)

You can always make this the case, and that seems like a decent interpretation of the world to me. This isn't exactly my specialty though.

And what path do you present to me?

Comment

I am pretty sure if you take a trip to Malfeas the 'cosmic evil' of the Wyrm becomes readily apparent.

Also you act as if the War of Rage happened in a vacuum. Why could the machinations of the Wyrm have been present in the hearts of the Garou or other fera? The Wyrm's presence was certainly a factor in the destruction of the Grondr.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post
        I am pretty sure if you take a trip to Malfeas the 'cosmic evil' of the Wyrm becomes readily apparent.

Also you act as if the War of Rage happened in a vacuum. Why could the machinations of the Wyrm have been present in the hearts of the Garou or other fera? The Wyrm's presence was certainly a factor in the destruction of the Grondr.
        Eh, I don't really like the idea of the wyrm being the "Absolute Cosmic Evil responsible for everything wrong Ever", for a story perspective it undermines the compelling flaws in the garou by making the wyrm a scapegoat. It also gives this storybook impression that killing/purifying the wyrm will make everything perfect forever, which really doesn't fit the WOD or the rest of WTA cosmology to me.

Both of these are horrendous pitfalls in writing that can crush stories by making them feel cheap and lazy. I believe the same can apply to roleplay, but I honestly don't believe that this is at all what WTA is largely going for.

I Believe that WTA is trying set up young garou as believing that the wyrm is responsible for their hardships, only as they grow realize that the world isn't that simple and a lot of their failings are theirs alone. That the fight against the wyrm is less a symbolic form of Good vs Evil as a fight to prove the world and the garou are still good enough to continue.(This is however my opinion)

Comment

Working...
        X