Story Idea: A world un-caring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Idea: A world un-caring

Since it's 2018 and the world has distinctly Not ended yet, I was juggling ideas for how to handle(or ignore) time of judgement.

A rather sadistic idea has crossed my mind to have the apocolypse, the mythic final stand between the forces of gaia, the triat, and the collective entirety of creation, to have come and gone, but have the fera(or bete, or etc.) not play any part in it. I was thinking of having the entire thing build up to an all out war where the fera hunker down in their greatest caerns waiting for the challenge, only to have it unclimactically resolve itself as the weaver and wyrm fight each other. The entire thing was resolved almost without bloodshed by a series of political changes in the human world, while the actual fighting was a brilliant storm of tactics between the spirits of the the weaver and the wyrm, and ending with the wyrm pushed back and weakened. Pentex is almost half it's size after a public backlash followed by many of their firms suffering lawsuits as it's "most influential backer" was busy elsewhere.

In the aftermath the garou and various fera are simply dealing with the fact that, in the grand scheme of things, nothing they'd done or sacrificed ultimately mattered. They'd allowed the titans to grow uncontested for so long that they weren't even a sparkle in the triats eye anymore. The garou are now a footnote in history, humanity will progress or fall without them, and there's nothing they can really Do about it.

That premise has potential, but then we have to ask... what then? I can see the Garou Nation's elders falling into a massive bout of collective Harano.

I guess the young cubs would have to pick up the slack, the rest of the Fera could seize the opportunity to turn against the ones who culled them during the War of Rage.

Let's ask ourselves: In a world where our enemies have taken care of each other... Why would we Rage?

As above, so is below

Comment

The whole concept is predicated on the idea that a war between the Weaver and Wyrm causes basically no collateral damage to Gaia, which sounds fantastically unlikely to me. The Wyrm and the Weaver have lots of destructive spirits at their command, and they have plenty of mortal pawns too. Both Weaver and Wyrm are something like corrupt empires of stasis and entropy, not a pair of brawling drunks out behind the bar.

Assuming those two wings of creation are going at it hammer and tongs, there is going to be collateral damage. Grids could crash as the spirits attending them are slaughtered. Nexus crawlers spill forth into urban zones across the globe. Power plants meltdown, or in a worst-case scenario, the spirits of military tech go mad and use their charms to set off nuclear weapons. Alternatively, mortal pawns could accomplish the same thing.

Even if the Garou somehow sat that out, why would the Wyrm ignore the centuries of injury the Garou have inflicted on its children? Even in its death throws, the Corrupter could easily lash out, if only indirectly.

Even after the battle concludes, I also don't really understand how modern life just hums along despite the Weaver's destruction. Modern technology is in no small part the result of the Weaver's influence. There is a feed back loop as humans design things and that knowledge attracts Weaver spirits who inspire recording of information and the conservation of structures. Society as we know it doesn't exist for long without the Mother Spider.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post
        The whole concept is predicated on the idea that a war between the Weaver and Wyrm causes basically no collateral damage to Gaia, which sounds fantastically unlikely to me. The Wyrm and the Weaver have lots of destructive spirits at their command, and they have plenty of mortal pawns too. Both Weaver and Wyrm are something like corrupt empires of stasis and entropy, not a pair of brawling drunks out behind the bar.

I mean, when you look at the big picture of things, it actually makes sense that their fighting won't cause any long term damages. The planet (and by extension, Gaia) has faced apocalyptic events before, and not only endured them, but managed to make a full recovery, too. The meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs killed off any form of life that was larger than a chicken, and the only noticeable impact it had was that the survivors evolved to suit their new environment.

Plus, there's the Rokea, who's entire purpose is to survive the Apocalypse and repopulate the planet, which means that Gaia already has a back up plan for when things go south.

Comment

I mean.... then you aren't really in the same ballpark as what OP is describing. The whole point was that the apocalypse might have already happened circa 2018 in a 'blink and you miss it' way. OP isn't talking about life returning to normal centuries or millennia hence, he was talking about the final war being such a non-event people don't even notice.

Comment

Clearly, there would have been consequences, from what I gather it just wasn't the epic battle that the warriors of Gaia were expecting.

But I agree that it would need a bit of tweaking to work, because the Garou are not (always) mindless killing machines. They have Monkeywrenchers and politicos (Pentex even considers the Shadow Lords dangerously savvy).

But I do like the idea of an Apocalypse that wasn't won by the Garou, too focused on their inane territorial disputes and civil wars to answer the call in time.

I just wonder how that "Quiet Apocalypse" would have actually happened. (It makes me think of the "Révolution Tranquille" we had here in the province of Québec in Canada... how can a revolution be quiet anyway...)

As above, so is below

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post
              Ah, That mostly relies on my assuming that during said apocalypse, the gauntlet was rendered temporarily impassible by the sixth great maelstrom. So during said war, Both sides fought almost entirely with spirits and the minions they'd called back to their realms, thus the real world only felt the indirect effects of the spiritual deaths(lakes, ponds and trees sometimes just dying randomly, businesses going bankrupt after a seemingly impossible run of bad luck, and some gifts just straight up not working one day).

The garou during this time all break off to protect their major caerns and cities, some fighting a few confused and leaderless black spirals before the storm just quietly ends.

Also neither the weaver or wyrm succeeds in destroying the other directly, many of the maeljin incarna are dead(destroying much of the wyrm's ability to effect the world directly), and the destruction of many of the weavers incarnae have cause many human cities to loose a lot of faith in various gods, many up and coming technologies to suddenly be halted by red tape, and many forms of business to become non-profitable. They aren't dead, but they also won't be much of a threat for a while beyond the occasional fomori trying to make a new pentex.

Comment

Working...
              X