do Ahrouns or Theruges like Chess or RTS's more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do Ahrouns or Theruges like Chess or RTS's more

Which auspice of Garou is more likely to enjoy Chess RTS's Etc.

Ahrouns who need a strong sense of strategy. in order to get anywhere

or theruges who need to be bright and able to think about things logically.

whos more likely to take up the listed pasttimes?

Games are a standard form of challenge for all Garou, as they're a warrior people and sharp minds are important for warriors regardless of their role in a fight.

The games preferred are going to matter more by Breed and Tribe than Auspice. RTS are new fangled and something Glasswalkers are going to be into more than any other Tribe regardless of Auspice, while Silver Fangs and Shadow Lords are more likely to promote chess for the aesthetics of it (or similar games in other cultures ).

Comment

I'd have to agree with Heavy Arms. Breed and Tribe are more likely to inform what games Garou use to challenge themselves/each other or for simple enjoyment. I've had a certain Bone Gnawer pc in an old game I ran throw a Shadow Lord packmate for a loop during a challenge for Pack leadership by insisting they play Checkers, rather than the Shadow Lord's (more familiar) Chess. The resulting win by the the Gnawer (a Theurge) made him pack leader and put the SL in a position to become a bit more humble.

A fun bit of trivia here is that Checkers, in a recognizable form, predates Chess by several centuries (or a few millennia).

http://www.oldest.org/entertainment/board-games/

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
      - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
      (She/Her)

Comment

Not werewolf but in Vampire i pulled a bluff. There was this ventrue who was all into the whole "chessmaster" image and would make people go through that sort of thing to talk to him, or get boons etc. So my character is all acting unimpressed by his whole thing and he asks my character why, "Well I guess chess is ok for neonates... but if you want a real challenge you go with Rithmomachia"

He gets one of his lackys to say "You made that up."

I'm carrying around a Rithmomachia board and place it down and start setting it up and start explaining it.

It killed the whole "chess fad" in Elysium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rithmomachy

Comment

I've been pondering a cultural debate among Hakken over whether Shogi or Go is the ideal game. Though I could see this being one where Auspices matter among the sub-Tribe with Ahrouns preferring the more directly tactical Shogi, and Theurges preferring the more abstract Go.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
            I've been pondering a cultural debate among Hakken over whether Shogi or Go is the ideal game. Though I could see this being one where Auspices matter among the sub-Tribe with Ahrouns preferring the more directly tactical Shogi, and Theurges preferring the more abstract Go.

The Gallard says Hanfuda

Comment

Does the Ragabash suddenly declare Koi-Koi just to mess with the Galliard?

Comment

This thread has inspired me to have the Bone Gnawer Master of the Challenge at the character's Caern start teaching poker to the Cliath Ahroun. What games do you think would be popular among Silver Fangs?

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
                  This thread has inspired me to have the Bone Gnawer Master of the Challenge at the character's Caern start teaching poker to the Cliath Ahroun. What games do you think would be popular among Silver Fangs?
                  You mean, other than chess? Eralash or Preferens or even Gorodki might be interesting options.

Comment

I think the Silver Fangs would probably stress riddle contests first and foremost, since it's the most traditional mental/game challenge. Being something all Garou could expect to face regardless of other factors, it seems like it would be the most important to be good at if you expect to lead the other Tribes.

When it comes to human strategy games, there's just so many options that could appeal to their sensibilities; esp. ones that want to look special by mastering more obscure games.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                      Does the Ragabash suddenly declare Koi-Koi just to mess with the Galliard?

Or Streetfighter.

of course this might be the most Garou game ever...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing
                      Last edited by Lian; 08-09-2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Had wondered if PlayStation Move sports champions is popular with Garou since it lets them practice their Archery or fencing

But I think theirs better Simulators

Chess is probably also popular amongst fangs.

I think that younger fangs and lords probably DO play games like Total war and nobunagas ambition to sharpen their strategic senses.

Comment

Working...
                        X