Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chase scenes, movement as MPH(revised edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chase scenes, movement as MPH(revised edition)

So my group is making characters for a mixed game of Old World of Darkness, two players want to play mages, two werewolves, and one Nuwisha. Anyhow, I dunno how the different systems or the different editions work, but no one in our group has many(if any) dots in drive, so I was trying to figure out if I can outspeed a car, and I do think so, but I want help to determine if I got things right.

So the way movement speed works for running is 20 + (3 x dex) yards per turn, so presuming my Fenris totem floating physical point is in dex at the time, that's 6 dex, for 20+18=38 yards per turn, but the way speed in other forms works seems to just be flat multipliers, as far as I can tell, their dex bonuses don't modify your speed, anyhow, the fastest form is evidently Lupus at x2, so 76 yards per turn, since a yard is 3 feet and based on turns being generalized at about 3 seconds, that's 76 feet per second, so if I roll 3 or more successes on the gift Speed of the Messenger, I can quadruple my movement speed for either one turn or one scene, ST discretion, anyhow, 76 x 4 I get 304 feet per second. 304 x 60 is 18,240 feet per minute, x 60 again for 1,094,400 feet per hour, which is 207. 273 miles per hour.

Now the other drawback of Speed of the Messenger, aside from generally only lasting one turn is that it's only useful while moving, if you stop to fight or do something else, you can't maintain it anymore, so my thought is, if a chase scene would be just starting, if I use it to dart over to the enemy's vehicle, shift to Crinos and hulk smash the hood of their car, their car would presumably be disabled. I was thinking if smashing the hood might potentially cause an explosion, maybe claw their tires or something, not entirely sure what the safest, surest method to disable a vehicle might be.

Anyhow, so my main questions are...
    1. I read turns are about 3 seconds, is that accurate enough to use to convert yards per turn into miles per hour to determine if I can catch a vehicle?
    2. Is it accurate that the dex bonus from other forms does not contribute to speed? Speed seemed to be calculated purely from homid form, then with multipliers for other forms.
    3. What might be the best way for a werewolf to disable a vehicle?(This one wasn't intentional, I just realized mid-question smashing the hood of a car might be a poorer choice)
    Last edited by Wulfswift; 08-16-2018, 07:28 PM.

Hello,

I hope your game wouldn't wind down into pure Anarchy. I'd reccomend the mages to take the wolf-blooded (or similar) merit to have some ties to the Garou.[

Originally posted by Wulfswift View Post
    Anyhow, so my main questions are...
    1. I read turns are about 3 seconds, is that accurate enough to use to convert yards per turn into miles per hour to determine if I can catch a vehicle?
    I come from EU, with the metric system, but it seems find to me. But a car has one great advantage. It can hold it's speed easily, but you'll get tired.

By the way: You don't have to run them down. With the senses of a wolf a character can easily follow the car's scent and make some fun after the chased arrived home.

2. Is it accurate that the dex bonus from other forms does not contribute to speed? Speed seemed to be calculated purely from homid form, then with multipliers for other forms.
    I've never made such a mechanical calculation of a character's running speed, but yeh, it's seems accurate. But a wolf and a car doesn't use the same course. You can cut through woods, and a car can't. The car have to stop in a traffic jam, a wolf won't.

It would be easier for you to think in difficulty and successes. Can it be done? Yeh, but with great difficulty. Let's make a diff. 8 Stamina+Atletics roll, and if you get 3 successes, you get it. Without the relevant gift increase the needed successes. Narrate the scene.

Note: A wolf running through a highway with such an increadible speed could/would cause much attention,

3. What might be the best way for a werewolf to disable a vehicle?(This one wasn't intentional, I just realized mid-question smashing the hood of a car might be a poorer choice)
    Disable the driver...

Comment

Originally posted by Lachdanan View Post

Disable the driver...
      Or gifts: Jam Technology, Gremlins, Control Simple Machine ( Park Brake) etc.

Comment

You can catch a car before it accelerates too much, you can also spend Rage.

Comment

Originally posted by Damian May View Post

Or gifts: Jam Technology, Gremlins, Control Simple Machine ( Park Brake) etc.
          I knew of Jam Technology, but was avoiding it as I'm not investing into either Manipulation or Crafts, but I checked on the other two, Gremlins might work mostly utilzing my Intimidation, but would take a while to get and be costly as it's a level 3 gift and I'm an Ahroun, but Control Simple Machine might work for our Kinfolk Mage, as it's a level one gift and he's going heavy into Crafts, and moderate in Manipulation.

Comment

Control Simple Machine might work for our Kinfolk Mage
            Mage Kinfolks are unable to use Gifts, but they can mimic them with Spheres as Coincidental Magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lachdanan View Post
              Mage Kinfolks are unable to use Gifts, but they can mimic them with Spheres as Coincidental Magic.
              Is there a page reference for that. I mean, they can't learn gifts, sure, they can mimic the effects of a gift with Spheres, sure.
              But coincidental, really?
              I mean if the effect is vulgar, it doesn't become coincidental just because another supernatural being has a power that can do the same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
                But coincidental, really?
                Sorry, my memory failed me. Not automatical coincidental, but can be if... and comes the circumstances.

Kinfolk - Unsung Heroes, pg. 68.

Comment

Working...
                X