Umbra Form?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umbra Form?

What form are you in the Umbra? Can you shift?

Baring a certain flaw:

Whatever you were in when you crossed, and yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      Whatever you were in when you crossed, and yes.
      Agreed. Unless you enter a Realm that prohibits certain forms.

Unlike Werewolf: Forsaken the time in Crinos isn't limited so Crinos/Hispo might be a good choice for additional dice. However, it is considered unwise to spend unnecessary amounts of time in forms, not your breed form, so there might be some social pressure to not spend a month-long travel through the near Umbra in those forms.

But nothing in the game mechanics forbids it.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
        it is considered unwise to spend unnecessary amounts of time in forms, not your breed form,
        Usualy I agrees with Heinrich, but in this case I strongly oppose. Umbra is a hostile environment. It's full of blights, banes, weaver spirits, insane mages, BSDs mad wyld spirits, and Gaia knows what.
        I find it unwise to stay in your breed form, in what you don't regenerate and can't soak except bashing.

Comment

Well, I guess it depends on your Breed. Homids have little reason to stay in Homid. The ability to communicate in human languages is minimally useful in the Umbra.

Metis sticking to Garou is just fine for running around the Umbra.

Lupus is a decent form for being in the Umbra because it has the best senses, and lots of advantages for long distance travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Lachdanan View Post
            Usualy I agrees with Heinrich, but in this case I strongly oppose. Umbra is a hostile environment. It's full of blights, banes, weaver spirits, insane mages, BSDs mad wyld spirits, and Gaia knows what.
            I find it unwise to stay in your breed form, in what you don't regenerate and can't soak except bashing.
            Well, I was thinking about having read that remaining in different forms than the breed form was in the renown award table somewhere, but I might be mistaken, since I couldn't find in 2nd, Revised and revised ST Companion.

That said, it totally is very subjective what "full of" means. Personally, I don't have the penumbra overcrowded. There are spirits around that suit the area. But for the most part I see the penumbra umbra as relatively deserted place, as far as actual spirits go. Kind of like a city at 5:00am. I usually describe wildlife, or even traffic, as part of the umbral landscape - so if the PCs are in penumbra forest they might hear birds singing and see insects and bugs wandering around, but those are part of the landscape, not semi-sentient gafflings or sentient jagglings. Same goes for a busy highway - there is traffic there and if you walk into traffic you get run over, just like Bruce-god does in 'Bruce Almighty'. They aren't all awaken VW Buses or dormant spirits, and obviously they aren't something stationary that has created a penumbra either.
            They just exist to set the mood for the scene the characters are in.

Same goes for the near Umbra (outside of Realms).

If the PCs are in penumbral representations buildings, then there might be a spirit that has taken up habitat there. Might also be a bane. However, the landscape than is also warped to match the bane in question. A sludge elemental that has taken up habitat in an old factory would have the ceilings drip with ooze and the walls slick with some wet substance, nobody wants to take a closer look at.

So, if the PCs are doing some trekking through the penumbra or near umbra, they are relatively save. Sure, there can always be spirits or banes that hide to ambush travelers, but that isn't that common. Especially since moon paths, are guarded by Lunes that would drive of any would-be-highwayman-spirits. But even when not using moonpaths, the Characters would get rolls to detect an ambush, and more so, would get rolls to notice if they walk into a blight, the habitat of any bane (except those of deceit maybe), or any mage or BSD or whatever.

So, sure, each form has it's benefits, but travelling the umbra - not to investigate the penumbral representation of a given place, but to actually cover distance - isn't an always alert, danger lurks everywhere situation. Sure, there are danger, like accidentally walking from one umbra part into another. But that's what Perception + Enigma rolls mentioned in the umbra travel paragraph are for.

And unlike the Shadowlands, where Nihils form a random and suck you into the Tempest instantly - the penumbra and near umbra are for the most part not different from the material world. There are areas where you probably shouldn't go, where you should stay alert, and where you don't have to worry. Most of the space belonging to the last part.

As a sidenote: I usually go with Umbra: revised's take on illumination in the penumbra, meaning there is daytime light at daytime and twilight at night time. No, it is pitch black at day and you can't see the banes preying on humans, even while the are right next to you.
            Last edited by heinrich; 08-31-2018, 04:50 AM.

Comment

You are basically your ephemeral self in the Umbra, to put it simply.

Comment

Originally posted by Darko View Post
                You are basically your ephemeral self in the Umbra, to put it simply.
                Are you really. Why aren't you your material/spirit-half-man-half-wolf-hybrid self in the umbra, just as before?

If being ephermical the garou would be subject to "malable spirit" gift, and that doesn't make much sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
                  Are you really. Why aren't you your material/spirit-half-man-half-wolf-hybrid self in the umbra, just as before?

If being ephermical the garou would be subject to "malable spirit" gift, and that doesn't make much sense to me.
                  W20 Umbra: The Velvet Shadow affirms my statement, and the Gift you have named works specifically on spirits -- when you transition into ephemera that doesn't necessarily mean you are a spirit (although under certain circumstances you can be); this is one of the reasons why you represent your true nature when being in the Umbra -- a wicked, self-loathing individual will have the ephemeral manifestations and representations of his nature for example.

Originally posted by W20 Umbra: The Velvet Shadow
                  At the moment of transition, a werewolf’s pulse quickens. The hair on her neck stands up (or the fur on her whole body if she’s in Lupus form). Her mind races with a feeling like sudden realization. It is a transformation of flesh into spirit, matter into ephemera. With a final surge she is through. The Gauntlet releases her and she stands fully in the Penumbra. That is, if she successfully stepped sideways. It’s not always quite so simple.
                  Last edited by Darko; 09-05-2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darko View Post
                    this is one of the reasons why you represent your true nature when being in the Umbra -- a wicked, self-loathing individual will have the ephemeral manifestations and representations of his nature for example.
                    You do. I can't remember any pre-W20 mentions of your exterior being different, when in the umbra. Is that new to W20 or W20 Umbra as well?

Comment

Working...
                    X