Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Character - Who dis?! [Aka. I need a bit of help to find a concept]

So. New WtA campaign.
    And to spice things up, we rolled dice for our Auspice and Tribe.I ended up in a very new situation, having to play a Homid Silver Fang Theurge.

How do I SF Theurge iif I'm not into the pageantry of priesthood? Any good concepts out there?

There are various ways to go as a Theurge if you still want a concept appropriate to the auspice (though going against type is still OK as long as you are fine taking the heat from social disapproval) but not want to be a full regalia priest type.

The touched/insane mystic visionary. Pick a particular aspect of religious experience and have that be "on" for your character 24/7. Is it compassion for others, sensing signs of the apocalypse, or some other religious zeal? You have one Vision - make sure it works for you for the entire campaign.

The prophet - meaning one who speaks for the gods, or in this case Gaia. Real fire and brimstone type stuff about the sacrilege and harm done when the Garou don't obey the Litany scrupulously. Don't hesitate to give yourself an order or commandment you've received from the higher powers that you have to fulfill, regardless of how it upsets the NPCs (or even PCs)

The haunted - you may need Merits and Flaws, or at least certain backgrounds for this. But build a spirit companion who constantly harrangues, entices, orders, advises, or pleads with your character to do its will. Key here is to invent that one spirit companion whose demands are things you will like to do OOC. Of course, IC, you can have any kind of reaction to the spirit's entreaties.

The physician - concentrate on being a healer, both physically and spiritually.

The spirit warrior - concentrate on Gifts and abilities that allow you to kick butt in the Umbra, while neglecting the other tasks of a theurge.

The ritemaster - concentrate on the technical aspects of Rites, rituals, and other things. More like a librarian, archivist, walking encyclopedia, or scientist than a religious leader.

The fetish forger - you make talens and fetishes, emphasizing crafting instead of spiritual duties to the nation.

The umbral ranger - you develop skills and expertise travelling in the umbra and umbral realms, exploring and mapping it.

The spirit horse - spirits like you, really like you, And they like to take over your body from time to time to feel the real world. In turn, you are either open to being possessed, or simply can't stop them. Maybe you have high levels in Ancestors. Or its other spirits. Good if you like to play lots of character personalities and types while having an anchor in the poor guy who is being possessed and often beseeched.

That's some spit balls. I am sure you can think of many others.

Comment

The Rasputin-esque mentally unstable Russian mystic, maybe. It's sometimes hard to keep that sort of thing from descending into stereotypical parody, though.

Given the tribe's fixation on their history and legacy and the auspice's role as Seeker of the Ways, maybe a historian/genealogist obsessed with seeking out and interviewing Ancestor spirits to uncover lost and forgotten lore of the Tribe.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I was just reading up on the Theurge section of Book of Auspices to get up to speed on this topic. There's another possibility for a Theurge concept you might consider:

The intelligence officer - Having the ability to speak and ask favors of a bunch on noncorporeal entities that can go anywhere, see everything and find out anything is definitely something that should not be underestimated. But like any case officer with his foreign assets/agents, the spirits are NOT your employees that you send on missions when it suits you. They are instead valued allies who will deal with you only on an equal footing, so if you ask a favor of them, you must in turn be willing to perform chiminage for them.

So I can see your Homid Silver Fang Theurge being a former (or even current) case officer who now has spiritual contacts and assets in addition to his human ones. As for which intelligence service your character served with, I can see either the CIA, the Mossad, MI-6 or even the KGB (or FSB, depending on when your campaign is) as filling that role, depending on the needs of your campaign. By virtue of where the Solver Fangs have holdings/are located, you could make a case for any of those agencies being in your characters prelude:

- CIA and KGB/FSA both are easy to justify as the Silver Fangs presence in both the US and Russia is very well-established.

- House Gleaming Eye and House Austere Howl both have a presence in England/UK (and you might be able to put their mutual animosity into your character's prelude somehow) so that could justify MI-6 being in your character's prelude.

- The Silver Fangs even have a presence (if a small one) in the Middle East though House Wise Heart, so that could justify your character being a present or former Mossad case officer.

Hope this helps.

Complete Garou Gifts List, Fera Gifts List, Garou Totems List and other assorted OPP/White Wolf goodies

Comment

I like that. Thou, it doesn't necessarily have to be a professional spy. I could easily see such a character being a member of human high society with a massive gossip network of both humans and spirits.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
            I like that. Thou, it doesn't necessarily have to be a professional spy. I could easily see such a character being a member of human high society with a massive gossip network of both humans and spirits.
            So does that make the Theurges the werewolf equivalent of VtM's Harpies with all the gossip-mongering between the Theurges and the spirits that implies? One shudders to think...

Complete Garou Gifts List, Fera Gifts List, Garou Totems List and other assorted OPP/White Wolf goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Su-tehp View Post

So does that make the Theurges the werewolf equivalent of VtM's Harpies with all the gossip-mongering between the Theurges and the spirits that implies? One shudders to think...
              Them and the Galliards. Though I suppose one could have an interesting game built around an all "harpy" pack with the above Theurge gossip, a Galliard social manipulator, a Ragabash con-artist, and a Philodox psychologist. Not sure what the Ahroun would be.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Them and the Galliards. Though I suppose one could have an interesting game built around an all "harpy" pack with the above Theurge gossip, a Galliard social manipulator, a Ragabash con-artist, and a Philodox psychologist. Not sure what the Ahroun would be.
                How about an Ahroun psychological warfare soldier?

Comment

Working...
                X