Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do my Garou Gifts List, Changing Breed Gifts List and Totems List need updating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanted to say that your totem list in particular is a godsend. It's definitely a lot easier than looking through dozens of books trying to remember where you last saw something (especially when there are multiple versions of the same totem). I really hope you decide to add all the Fera totems (minus the Nunnhei) at some point though. Then it would be pretty much a single complete source.

Comment

Originally posted by gx240 View Post
      I just wanted to say that your totem list in particular is a godsend. It's definitely a lot easier than looking through dozens of books trying to remember where you last saw something (especially when there are multiple versions of the same totem). I really hope you decide to add all the Fera totems (minus the Nunnhei) at some point though. Then it would be pretty much a single complete source.

One thing I noticed when going through the Fera books for trying to make a Sentai... alot of the Fera Totems are very much breed specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Su-tehp View Post
        If people want to help out, they can make a list of which W:tA books have published Rites in them and post them (with page numbers) here in this thread. That will make it easier for me to compile everything in one place.
        As you wish.

http://www.pen-paper.net/indices/wod/rites.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Lachdanan View Post
          Yeah, I found this list the other day myself. I was a bit worried that it might be obsolete as it was made years before W20, but it's still useful for all the rites that aren't in W20. I just have to ignore anything that listed as being from the old corebooks; all of that is likely already in W20 anyway, which I've already copied and pasted into my list.

One major problem is that copying and pasting from the PDFs also carries along all the paragraph and line breaks from the book, so I have to manually delete each of those by hand in order to get the docfile looking nice and justified/aligned. It's slow work, but it beats rewriting it verbatim if I couldn't copy and paste them because of low quality PDFs. Still, for some of the older books, I may have to resort to that. At least, according to this list, the only rites in the Rage Across books are in Rage Across Appalachia and Rage Across the Heavens, neither of which I can copy and paste from. Still, that's only 5 rites total. The Revised Tribebooks are gonna be a pain in the ass as well. Well, we'll see.

Complete Garou Gifts List, Fera Gifts List, Garou Totems List and other assorted OPP/White Wolf goodies

Comment

I was thinking you should add the Hengeyokai Totems, they unlike the other CB totems are built to work for multiple fera types.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
              I was thinking you should add the Hengeyokai Totems, they unlike the other CB totems are built to work for multiple fera types.
              Yeah, the thing about the hengeyokai totems is that they're not properly divided into their categories of Respect, War or Wisdom, (a flaw that Hengeyokai shares with Revised Tribebook: Wendigo). For another, it's mentioned on pp113-114 of Hengeyokai while there are a few Western totems that also aid their Eastern children, there's no mention of totems of the Emerald Courts serving as totems for Western Fera. Both those reasons make including the hengeyokai totems in my list problematic as it's meant for Western Garou/Fera.

Still, I suppose I could include the hengeyokai totems for completeness' sake, but it's gonna take me a little while to figure out which of these totems belongs in what category (something I was already forced to do for the totems in Revised Tribebook: Wendigo). And I have to finish the Rites list first. We'll see.

Complete Garou Gifts List, Fera Gifts List, Garou Totems List and other assorted OPP/White Wolf goodies

Comment

I mean looking at the write ups they do have a strong Chinese/Japanese cultural vibe.. but I don't see that as any of an issue than say the Stargazer totems or even the Wendigo Totems. They don't have say.. the same issues of Dragon from Mokole which is completely unusable by nonMokole or any of the totems from Rokea..

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                  I mean looking at the write ups they do have a strong Chinese/Japanese cultural vibe.. but I don't see that as any of an issue than say the Stargazer totems or even the Wendigo Totems. They don't have say.. the same issues of Dragon from Mokole which is completely unusable by nonMokole or any of the totems from Rokea..
                  There is that, I suppose. Still, having to figure out which of the hengeyokai totems are totems of Respect, War or Wisdom is not something I'd like to repeat after having to do it for Wendigo Revised. You would think it would be easy to figure that sort of thing out from the context, but you'd be wrong. Sometimes the text of the traits give indications for more than one type.

I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Bear and Narukami are reprints so my thoughts are..

Hare and Inari-Cunning.

Mongoose-war because he's almost a pallet swap of Weasel.

Teanoi- isn't as bad but share some solid thematics with Shark so I'd put him in War.

Tiger-war

Dog and Ox are the ones I'm not sure if should be wisdom or Respect

Comment

Narukami is a reprint from where? I don't recognize him. Can you give me a page reference for his original write-up?

Yeah, Hare (and by extension Rabbit) is a totem I can easily see as Cunning, especially after being familiar with stuff like Watership Down. You don't survive in a Death World without being crafty and clever.

Inari (from what I know of him, which admittedly isn't much) is a totem I can also see as Cunning. Tiger is mentioned in his write-up as a "totem of war" (as opposed to a Totem of War), so that one is easy. Your rationale for Mongoose and Teanoi as War totems is reasonable, so we'll go with that.

I grant you that while totems and their favored animals they resemble aren't supposed to be identical in nature, they still share some traits. In light of that, dogs and oxen don't strike me as especially clever creatures (so I'm disinclined to say they're Totems of Wisdom), but they do earn respect in each their own way: dogs by being loyal and helpful, and oxen for being steady and tireless beasts of burden. For this reason, I'm inclined to make Dog and Ox as Totems of Respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Su-tehp View Post
                        Narukami is a reprint from where? I don't recognize him. Can you give me a page reference for his original write-up?
                        He's Grandfather Thunder. Just they call him Narukami. He has the same traits, Ban, sends a storm crow etc.

Yeah, Hare (and by extension Rabbit) is a totem I can easily see as Cunning, especially after being familiar with stuff like Watership Down. You don't survive in a Death World without being crafty and clever.
                        There are at least 2 other Bunny totems, I'm just going straight Hengeyokai Hare which in the write up pretty solidly is "get out of things with quick thinking"

Inari (from what I know of him, which admittedly isn't much) is a totem I can also see as Cunning. Tiger is mentioned in his write-up as a "totem of war" (as opposed to a Totem of War), so that one is easy. Your rationale for Mongoose and Teanoi as War totems is reasonable, so we'll go with that.
                        Inari is complicated, as a god. As what aspects of the god he gets etc. But since the write up seems to be just "Kitsune totem because gods know fox wouldn't have worked there" I put him in cunning. IF they played up some of his other aspects as a God IRL I'd make him Wisdom.

I grant you that while totems and their favored animals they resemble aren't supposed to be identical in nature, they still share some traits. In light of that, dogs and oxen don't strike me as especially clever creatures (so I'm disinclined to say they're Totems of Wisdom), but they do earn respect in each their own way: dogs by being loyal and helpful, and oxen for being steady and tireless beasts of burden. For this reason, I'm inclined to make Dog and Ox as Totems of Respect.
                        Seems solid enough

Comment

Working...
                        X