No announcement yet.

A Greater Canid Breed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Domesticated," is the important qualifier. While domestication is a scaled state and reversible state, it's an observable state that you can use to draw a line between Garou (or Fera) appropriate breeding stocks and not. Where you put the line is fairly arbitrary and going to really be hand-waving for the sake of ease of play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
      One question comes, then, what of dogs? I don't mean extremely inbred breeds, but the fact that wolfdogs, dingo and pariah dogs technically are considered 'wild' enough to breed garou. So where does the line between a domestic dog vs a garou-fitting one go?

I've never had a problem with Garou Dogs as long as they aren't.. dumb? Wereyappy dog no.. were-feral dogs of Moscow.. why the fuck aren't you glasswalker Kinfolk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_dogs_in_Moscow

Seriously. Those are cool and neat and scream "Glasswalker" to me.
      Last edited by Lian; 10-08-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I've never had a problem with Garou Dogs as long as they aren't.. dumb? Wereyappy dog no.. were-feral dogs of Moscow.. why the fuck aren't you glasswalker Kinfolk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_dogs_in_Moscow

Seriously. Those are cool and neat and scream "Glasswalker" to me.
        Bone Gnawer kinfolk, I'd say. In general, to go back to the whole 'some people don't like lupus because implications' issue, I would be very careful with using dogs in this way. Mind, to me something that is kin worthy should be 'wild' very far back. Street dogs of Moscow fit, because they generally have adjusted to life as scavengers in the long run (and do come from generations of street dogs.) But an american non-carolina dog stray? No.

As to how the species should be spread, I think it should be less like the Bastet and more like Nagah or the Ananansi. Since most suggested animals here -can- interbreed without infertile children, there would not be as big of a separation between them.

Kitsune, though, I think need to be their own thing. I have written my own take on Kitsune tribes à la the Bastet, which I think fits the foxes better than making them fit into the wider canid breed.

My gallery.

Comment

The Nagah and Ananasi don't really... do species spreads? They got for a more amalgam approach compared to the Bastet or Mokole methods.

As for the Kitsune, the problem is that of the major canid groups, what do you do with Cerdocyonina? If it was just Vulpini and Canina then things are simple. The vuplines are Kitsune and the canines are Garou. Having a group in the middle that's more genetically close to canines, but more ecologically close to vuplines (and this is where the maned wolf is, which this thread spun off from discussing), makes it harder to figure out what goes where.

The Mokole Varna system covers animals with orders of magnitudes more differences between them than canines and foxes. So it seems strange to push against this style.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Mizuki View Post
            Kitsune, though, I think need to be their own thing. I have written my own take on Kitsune tribes à la the Bastet, which I think fits the foxes better than making them fit into the wider canid breed.
            Did you post or put this write-up anywhere ? If not, do you intend to do this in the future ?
            Last edited by Muad'Dib; 10-11-2018, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

The Mokole Varna system covers animals with orders of magnitudes more differences between them than canines and foxes. So it seems strange to push against this style.
              On the other hand if we go by Mokole Varna

Bastet, Garou, Kitsune, Gurhal, Ratkin, Nuwisha might as well be the same species under weremammals...

I think perhaps expanding them from Crocadilians was probably a mistake. I mean if Nagah can be theirown thing Ao can be theirown thing

Comment

I always saw the Mokole as more "werereptile" then anything specific because they had to go and toss lizards into the mix, and had custom made battle forms where you could be either a dragon or a dinosaur. Sure the Nagah were different but my first exposure to the changing breeds was via Rage the CCG, the 1st ed players guide, then eventually the Mokole breed book. To me Nagah were a dead urban legend for most of my formative playing years (until I saw the breed book in person, which was 6 years of playing by that point). By this point my original gaming group had home brewed up so many reptiles it was hard for me to go backwards.

I actually wondered if they were going to make Ao their own thing due to it being a stretch goal. Granted I'm a firm believer in Ao having Mnesis because of their role as advisers and wise in mythology across the planet. I was personally just happy to have turtles included into the system.

Comment

Originally posted by CeltSPZ View Post
                  I always saw the Mokole as more "werereptile" then anything specific because they had to go and toss lizards into the mix, and had custom made battle forms where you could be either a dragon or a dinosaur. Sure the Nagah were different but my first exposure to the changing breeds was via Rage the CCG, the 1st ed players guide, then eventually the Mokole breed book. To me Nagah were a dead urban legend for most of my formative playing years (until I saw the breed book in person, which was 6 years of playing by that point). By this point my original gaming group had home brewed up so many reptiles it was hard for me to go backwards.

I actually wondered if they were going to make Ao their own thing due to it being a stretch goal. Granted I'm a firm believer in Ao having Mnesis because of their role as advisers and wise in mythology across the planet. I was personally just happy to have turtles included into the system.

The Corax and Camdotz had similar missions but were different. Making the Ao a parallel to the pure Crocadilian Mokole.. and maybe adding a lizard one might work.. or make the lizard one extinct. Hell maybe cut the difference. Mokole get the DInosaur bits, AO get to eat the Zhong Lung.

Comment

The Corax and Camdotz had similar missions but were different. Making the Ao a parallel to the pure Crocadilian Mokole.. and maybe adding a lizard one might work.. or make the lizard one extinct. Hell maybe cut the difference. Mokole get the DInosaur bits, AO get to eat the Zhong Lung.

Eat the Zhong Lung? Just want a clarification on that (assuming auto correct is affecting things).

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                      Did you post or put this write-up anywhere ? If not, do you intend to do this in the future ?
                      http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...94#post1058394 Here, I hope they are usable.

My gallery.

Comment

Eat the Zhong Lung? Just want a clarification on that (assuming auto correct is affecting things).

Have the Ao take over the position of the Zhong Lung. Their middle form has all the "mythic beast" stuff while Mokole proper get the Dinosaur stuff. Plus there are more turtles in Europe than Crocodiles to get murdered there for the war of rage.

Comment

Have the Ao take over the position of the Zhong Lung. Their middle form has all the "mythic beast" stuff while Mokole proper get the Dinosaur stuff. Plus there are more turtles in Europe than Crocodiles to get murdered there for the war of rage.

Sure (European ones would be long gone) but to lose them from the Americas I think would be rather tragic. Aside from the awesomeness that is snapping turtles (both common and alligator!), First Nations lore is filled with turtles filling that niche as well. I think it could also add a lot more fun with the Croatan as well. Not having the Ao be only Asian also helps cut down on TMNT/Mater Oogway jokes (at least it does for me).

(toss in IRL turtle's aren't fairing so well in Asia, Asia has the the bulk of the most endangered turtles according to the Turtle Survival Alliance )
                          Last edited by CeltSPZ; 10-12-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Sure (European ones would be long gone) but to lose them from the Americas I think would be rather tragic. Aside from the awesomeness that is snapping turtles (both common and alligator!), First Nations lore is filled with turtles filling that niche as well. I think it could also add a lot more fun with the Croatan as well. Not having the Ao be only Asian also helps cut down on TMNT/Mater Oogway jokes (at least it does for me).

(toss in IRL turtle's aren't fairing so well in Asia, Asia has the the bulk of the most endangered turtles according to the Turtle Survival Alliance )

didn't explain myself so well.

Ao get the mythic features, they represent perhaps the a connection to the wyld.. or the Gaia who never was.. or the Dreaming or the High Umbra vs the Middle umbra?

Comment

didn't explain myself so well.

Ao get the mythic features, they represent perhaps the a connection to the wyld.. or the Gaia who never was.. or the Dreaming or the High Umbra vs the Middle umbra?

Alright I could get behind that, granted still access armor

Comment

Alright I could get behind that, granted still access armor
                                So to put this on topic. with the Nuwisha joining the Greater Canid Breed maybe some of their "umbral breed' thing could be taken by the Ao, thus why they have more explicitly supernatural features than the Mokole.

Comment

Working...
                                X