Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military base umbra defenses

Hello!
    I'm preparing next adventure in my chronicle. PC's will need to assault a pentex base in africa, it's dedicated to extract minerals but it's defended like a military base. I've a clear idea on how it's defended in the real world (minefield, armed fomori, first teams, snipers, some experimental monsters),... But if the PC's try the assault in the umbra, how such base could look like in the umbra?

how do fomori look in the umbra? Is the bane in the same physical place than the fomori? Or it doesn't longer exist in the umbra?

Thanks for the ideas!

Fomori don't have an Umbral reflection: their banes are fused inside their hosts and won't run back into the Umbra unless they're exorcised first (or killed, but I seem to recall that killing a Fomori puts the spirit into Slumber).

The Umbral reflection of a Pentex facility is probably going to be quite bad - less silver bullets but an awful lot of banes.
    I'd suggest to treat it as an hellhole and pick an appropriate theme for it. It's a mine in Africa, maybe where workers are exploited and kept in inhuman conditions for an handful of coins? Appropriate themes might be famine, fear, slavery, dirty money; pick one and build the whole aesthetic of the Umbral reflection around it (hellhole landscapes usually don't mirror the material world much, save for the buildings where the worst things happen). Put a few thematic traps, don't forget the scouting, flying and hard-to-spot spirits that are going to raise the alarm and fill the place with banes.

Given the kind of place I'd say that could be sensible to use banes as corrupted earth or metal elementals, thinbones, rust spiders, scrags and crimson pestilents, but you're of course free to design any kind of bane you like; the number of hostile spirits should be HUGE, not something that a medium ranked pack would be able to handle. Some of the spirits will probably materialize should the pack decide to attack in the physical world and some of the dancers are surely going to step sideways should they attack in the Umbra.

Comment

One other possibility (given how commonly these sorts of mines are associated with human trafficking in the real world), there are few good targets for the Garou to find... Only half-starved human slaves -- who are nonetheless massively Wyrm-tainted owing to being held prisoner there so long. Alternately, getting in via the Umbra turns out to be quite easy -- only finding out once inside that the spiritual resonance of the place is all about keeping you from ever leaving.

Comment

A place that's essence it is to be well guarded should have that essence reflected in the penumbra.

Personally, I always found it stupid, that animal spirits are dead animal "souls" (according to revised Core rules and before). I have animal spirits appear, if they are a suitable addition to the local umbra landscape. Same would also go for a generic "Guardian"-spirit- if they are suitable for the essence of a location, then they should be there. Guard-Dog-eaque spirits and so on. The "Wyld Hunt"-spirit might be a good template for "commander/goon"-combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
          Personally, I always found it stupid, that animal spirits are dead animal "souls" (according to revised Core rules and before).
          I can't remember this kind of specification on animal spirits, can you cite page and manual?
          AFAIK spirits are embodyments of earthly concepts, so a wolf spirits is born when wolves thrive in a particular area or when people think about wolves. Traits and characteristics of the specific spirit may change depending on the circumstances of his birth: the wolves of Fenris are war spirits and the hounds of the Huntmaster are vengeance spirits in addition to their being wolves or dogs.

This is how spirits have been portrayed this far and how W20 seem to consider them. Dead animals might end up in the Shadowlands but not in the near umbra.

Comment

That's what I would think, too.

And thanks for asking for a reference, because I was convinced it was with the "Animal Spirit"-Write-up (and maybe it is in the German book, I can't check).
            It certainly isn't in the English .pdfs I bought. However, there is this wording on page 167 of revised Core and 153 of 2nd Edition core:
            Prayer for the Prey
            A specific form of the Rite of Contrition, this rite involves the Garou stepping sideways into the Umbra just after making a kill, subsequently thanking the spirit of the prey for giving its own life that the Garou might survive.
            It should probably read:
            Prayer for the Prey
            A specific form of the Rite of Contrition, this rite involves the Garou stepping sideways into the Umbra just after making a kill, subsequently thanking an animal spirit of the
            prey's species for the life the prey animal gave so the Garou might survive.
            Just to make it certain, that killing an "beast of Gaia" doens't produce a spirit one can meet by immediately stepping sideways...

Comment

I never read it that way.
              It says that you step sideways and thanks the spirit of the prey, but it does not say that its spirit is present on the other side. I belive it should be interpreted it as a prayer made in the umbra after a kill and not as a face-to-face thank you with the demised (that might also be justly angry at that point).

I mean, the W20 manual says "Only a few nature spirits still exist, and most of them are in Slumber", and that would obviously be false if every dead animal ended up in the penumbra. It also says that animal spirits "look like an ideal of the species they represent", I think it's strongly implied they're meant to be more embodied concepts than ghosts.
              Even further, UtVS cites (among the other things, I'm picking one of the several pertinent quotes) "Spirits typically manifest as idealized and often exaggerated versions of their anchors. If the anchor is a specific tree or rock, they resemble it. If the anchor is something broader, like a collection of creatures, the spirit takes on some archetypal representative form. They also behave in a manner consistent with the concept they represent."

I think it's safe to say that they are not meant to be animal ghosts.

Comment

Working...
              X