Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News on the Werewolf game - New Publisher, still no exact details

https://www.dualshockers.com/werewol...elease-window/

Since I guess this might be of interest, and I haven't seen it posted yet. Still no information about the engine or actual underpinnings of the game, but the new due date is 2020 now.

What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Good to hear.

Comment

It was going down really hard on that vapourware track XD
      Dying companies are sadly the main reason the projects stop and die. Let's just hope that now that the acquisition is done they'll picking it up for real. Sadly, this Bigben Interactive seems even a worse company to be developed in... just a glance at their wikipedia page told me they only made second-rate or sport games, not even a remotely relevant title around.

Cyanide at least had Styx, Chaos League and Bloodbowl to account for, Bigben's last "success" is V-Rally 4, and most people seem to think it's quite mediocre game only good for the fans (the IP isn't theirs btw, they bought it some time ago).

Comment

The Bigben part doesn't worry me too much, since everyone involved has said that Cyanide is basically remaining whole inside of Bigben until they at least finish their pre-buyout projects.

What worries me more is that they've been working on the game for two years... and we haven't seen anything at all. They're not making Skyrim here.

Comment

As I said in the other post where I was explaining why it qualifies as Vapourware, I think the trick is that Cyanide is a small team and their focus was on Call of Cthulhu. I'm assuming they spent two years in preproduction with a skeleton crew rather then actually creating the game.

Comment

At least it isn't dead.

Comment

A bad game is worse than a dead one, though.
              Dead means that someone might pick it up again eventually to exploit the idea and the market, but if it turns out bad it will discourage future developers in trying it again. I'd really like Werewolf to become a videogame series but as it is I doubt we'll ever see past the first (mediocre) product.

But ofc I can be wrong. Hope so actually.

Comment

Maris Streck I don't think at all it will be bad, mostly I worry it will be small. I also wonder if they keep the Focus announced style for this game.
                https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/...pse-earthblood
                • Have had good progress with the title during 2017, but not going to be released until "when it's good". They want to really nail down great combat and satisfying shape changing.
                • Is not going to be a "Vampire: Bloodlines" type game. They are not aiming for the same amount of choices. It will be be narratively focused on one character, with one tribe, but will have interaction with other tribes. Their goal is to show the license to people who do not know of Werewolf the Apocalypse. And you will for a fact not be able to complete the game without fighting.
                Last edited by Story Letter; 11-28-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Story Letter View Post
                  [*]Is not going to be a "Vampire: Bloodlines" type game. They are not aiming for the same amount of choices. It will be be narratively focused on one character, with one tribe, but will have interaction with other tribes.[/LIST]
                  Fights and war culture are an important part of a Werewolf game, a game with no fighting would be silly (also, not even Bloodlines could be completed without bloodshed, just think at the sewers or at the prosthetic serial killer).

Overall I hope they'll revise some of the pre-made decisions, even if I doubt it since they've announced them already. The single tribe is disappointing, but still better than having 13 tribes and the same gameplay for all of them. They should at least be able to depict it well. The lack of story relevance for mission-related choices is extremely disappointing

The worst part of all is the frenzy, though: having a frenzy attract wyrmspawns is pretty stupid and 100% original content unsupported by the setting, and having the MC become so corrupted by prolonged frenzy to become an actual, permanent thrall of the Wyrm is nonsensical. Why there's even a Black Spiral if they can just frenzy up and get Dancer?

Comment

Maris Streck in my very humble opinion I think that the best game would have been somthing like Vampire Redemption, you begin with a main charatcer and little by little build up a pack.
                    We will see Wendigos, Red Talons, Glass Walkers and most likely Fianna. You will also be able to communicate with their Caern Totems and learn their tribal Gifts.
                    Also we will likely see a very powerful fighting system. Shifting forms while moving etc etc.

Now about frenzy, I like the idea that you kill your fellow npcs and that you still control your character while shredding red swadows apart, the more you are in frenzy the more enemies will come, or the more powerful they will be, I don't find anything bad with that. I also kind of like the idea that you have a ticking clock of corruption and that you have to kill all enemies before the wyrm takes you, somehow this brings to the fore the darker side of Garou that you don't see often in actual plays. Like it !

Comment

Is not going to be a "Vampire: Bloodlines" type game. They are not aiming for the same amount of choices. It will be be narratively focused on one character, with one tribe, but will have interaction with other tribes. Their goal is to show the license to people who do not know of Werewolf the Apocalypse. And you will for a fact not be able to complete the game without fighting.
                      If " Werewolf: the Apocalypse - Earthblood " will be succesful, then maybe a W:tA game with a more open gameplay can be made afterwards.

in my very humble opinion I think that the best game would have been somthing like Vampire Redemption, you begin with a main charatcer and little by little build up a pack.
                      I prefer CRPGs which allow the player to have a team rather than a single character. I think most of the time it communicates the story and the mood better, is more characterful, and gives more gameplay and combat options ; interactions with team members and decisions in regard to them are also great elements to include in CRPG games.
                      Last edited by Muad'Dib; 11-29-2018, 07:23 PM.

Comment

HBS could do Awesome WtA games based on their Shadowrun work.

Comment

Originally posted by Damian May View Post
                          * Team based tactics - check
                          * Colorful setting well represented - check
                          * Multiple levels of reality - check
                          * Awesome supporting cast - check

Comment

Maris Streck in my very humble opinion I think that the best game would have been somthing like Vampire Redemption, you begin with a main charatcer and little by little build up a pack.
                            Redemption wasn't bad, but Bloodlines had a whole different depth: the atmosphere was better, the replayability added to longevity and even the story was rock solid. And Bloodlines was an incomplete game, just picture what it could have been had Activision let the Trokia team finish it. Should I pick one of the two as a model for future WoD games it would surely be Bloodlines.

Now about frenzy, I like the idea that you kill your fellow npcs and that you still control your character while shredding red swadows apart, the more you are in frenzy the more enemies will come, or the more powerful they will be, I don't find anything bad with that. I also kind of like the idea that you have a ticking clock of corruption and that you have to kill all enemies before the wyrm takes you, somehow this brings to the fore the darker side of Garou that you don't see often in actual plays. Like it !
                            The idea of turning on friendly NPCs is good, but only if it affects the gameplay in the long run: if you just disable them but get them back at the end of the fight then it's a worthless mechanic that adds nothing to the plot, it just alters the combat and make you spend an "healing potion" on them. I want my NPCs to risk death and I want my story to change should I kill this or that by accident.
                            The corruption clock is exactly the bullshit part to me, can't even figure out why anybody thought to add such a thing. It just doesn't fit the lore.

The Shadowrun games had their highs and lows. I'd say that Shadowrun Returns wasn't that great, but Harebrained improved their games at a slow but steady pace and I can say that I'm pretty much satisfied on how Hong Kong turned out. I'd be happy to have them handle anything but graphics for Werewolf titles.
                            Last edited by Maris Streck; 12-01-2018, 11:31 PM. Reason: Just a minor format error

Comment

Maris Streck , yup they mentioned that in Frenzy you will kill npcs, it will affect the row of the story and other npcs will ''remember'' such events.

Comment

Working...
                              X