One question about Spirits and one about Willpower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One question about Spirits and one about Willpower

I've got two questions that I can hopefully get some insight on.

The first is about Spirits and their names. Jagglings have always seemed to be portrayed as thinking and feeling. While their personalities are bound to what they are, they're more free thinking than Gafflings. So do they have individual names? And if so, are their names similar to Deed names?

Second question is about Willpower rolls in general. There are Merits that affect Willpower rolls. And some things, like changing an action to a dodge specifically call out for a roll. However, outside of that I don't see any indication of when a roll should take place.

In my chronicles, I give jagglings names, but that is not their "true" names in a spiritual/magical sense, but a name that are known by or have adopted as a public name. Those names are whatever would be appropriate for the spirit. Gafflings sometimes have names given to them by Garou based on some sort of observable quality, much like how humans give names to animals. With jagglings though, it's more like Gordon Sumner telling people to call him Sting.

Normally the ST calls a player to roll Willpower whenever he needs to overcome some compulsion that would otherwise overwhelm his rational mind. A Metis with Fits of Madness would roll WP to avoid loss of control in stressful situations. Garou in Frenzy roll WP to escape Frenzy (once the triggering situation is over) Likewise, there are a few Fomori powers which would cause a Garou to do so something - freeze in horror, flee in terror, act out a dysfunctional emotion, etc. - unless they roll WP. They also come into play to overcome certain Derangements. These all have one thing in common - they allow a Garou to retain rational control in a situation where something would take that choice away from them.

Comment

Spirits do have a name, but they give their actual name to almost no one since no spirit can refuse a summon (or even resist compulsion I think? Can't remember) if performed by invoking their true name. Since their name is an actual weakness, they usually go by some kind of title or other assumed name.

Comment

Can you resist a flashbang bomb with willpower or stamina ?

Comment

I'd say no chance for Stamina since flashbangs physically blind you without harming your pattern. Should you be in doubt about a powerful light (laser?) permanently reducing your eyesight then a Stamina roll might be appropriate, but being eyes the delicate things they are I'd surely consider an high difficulty or some malus.

Still, you might get a Willpower roll to recover from stun and flashbangs' sound usually stuns and disorients the victims, so maybe a wp roll (diff 8 or 9 in the first round, maybe 6 during the second) could be fair to recover from the stun, maybe even reduce the disorientation malus if the character rolls high enough.

I'm writing this as a general principle and I don't know if you're referring to specific flashbang effects in the manuals, so try to not overlap or get redundant with already in place effects. For example, you only give a willpower roll if your grenade stuns automatically; if your grenade stuns at diff equal to willpower you don't give a willpower roll to recover because the stat was already tested in the attack roll.

Comment

Normal Flashbangs, well gifts that do the same thing give you a penalty of +2 difficulty on all actions as long as you are exposed to the effects (aka Halo of the Sun). But I guess a flashbang might affect you for a single turn and give a +1 difficulty instead of +2 to the next turn, thats for creatures with regeneration of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Story Letter View Post
              Normal Flashbangs, well gifts that do the same thing give you a penalty of +2 difficulty on all actions as long as you are exposed to the effects (aka Halo of the Sun). But I guess a flashbang might affect you for a single turn and give a +1 difficulty instead of +2 to the next turn, thats for creatures with regeneration of course.
              Remember that a flashbang does not only blind you but also emit a loud sound, leaving the victim basically blind and deaf (and possibly with equilibrium issues). I dont 't know how much would regeneration work to recover from this kind of things, honestly - it's not proper damage, just sensory overload.

And we must consider that creatures with enhanced perception of the darkness (cats, wolves, every nocturnal animal) would probably get a bigger malus from the light explosion, so a Garou in Hispo or Lupus form should suffer more from blinding white light; similar thing for creatures with enhanced hearing (every animal, basically) in respect to loud sounds. Only talking about flashbangs of course, spirit gifts work as the manuals state.

Comment

Working...
              X