Estimated date for 5th edition...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimated date for 5th edition...

I know that I am probably really jumping the gun, but after seeing, and loving, Vampire 5th edition, I would love to see Werewolf get the same treatment. Assuming that it IS coming out, any idea as to when we should see it released?

2021 seeing as we've seen nothing about w5 except its coming and a Get of Fenris in one of the v5 alphas

Comment

Lian Wait a minute tell me what you know about this Fenrir Alpha Jarl.

Comment

Originally posted by Story Letter View Post
        Lian Wait a minute tell me what you know about this Fenrir Alpha Jarl.

....in one of the Alpha tests for v5 there was a "IF you leave the city by cutting through the woods a Get of Fenris from the local sept attacks you"

Comment

My bet is that once Paradox's restructuring of White Wolf is complete, they will begin the process of creating W5 (with some of that already having been done during their V5 work, as Rage as a mechanic was hinted at in the Animalism disciplines of the v5 corebook). The worldofdarkness.com website's update completion will be a good signpost of this progress I think (hasn't happened yet though to be clear). Much as I'd like it earlier as well, a playtest period of a year seems like what happened for V5, so 2021 sounds like a good estimate, factoring time to get corebook art commissioned and completed. My hope is for the website to be finished by mid-March, allowing most of 2019 for dev and writer team gathering and alpha testing, making 2020 a possibility. I agree with maryshelly - I love v5 and can't wait to see w5
          Last edited by Robert D; 02-01-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I dug out the pre-alpha v5 pdf from my files and here's the info it gives on the a Lupine Tracker NPC enemy. This was the pre-alpha, so the mechanics do not fully reflect the v5 corebook, but it's still an interesting point of speculation and study
            "This is the weirdest one. If the coterie just sneaks into the wild to walk to a smaller town past the
            lockdown and steal a car there, they encounter -something- hunting for them. It’s a Get of Fenris
            Lupine from the Grunewald Sept. They can run, but the wolf never loses their scent.

Lupine Tracker
            Mental 2 Physical 5 Social 2
            Alertness 2 Combat 5 Other 1
            Potence 3 Fortitude 3 Rage 8
            Willpower 3 Health 9 Composure 1

The Lupine tracker can spend Rage to gain extra actions (up to two extra per round) and
            regenerates one point of Superficial damage each turn. It does not suffer wound penalties and its
            claws and bite deal aggravated damage. Good luck! THE END"

Now, the v5 core also gave a werewolf NPC antagonist near the back of the book, which had the same regeneration rules, but no Rage value assigned in that NPC's block, though the NPC had high levels of Disciplines (for ease of using the NPC prior to W5's creation, bless the writer's hearts) to emulate gifts (I recall the V20, W20 and M20 books doing much the same thing), though since Hunger is risked for higher ranked disciplines, I imagine that as of the corebook's writing the Rage mechanic, like Hunger may be risked to perform certain supernatural feats, and if it rises too fill the Lupine to bursting with Rage, that's when things get Crinos rampage messy. The NPC stats also had some shapeshifting mechanics for Crinos form it seems. No sign in either the pre-alpha or the final V5 of Werewolf Gnosis or specific info or hints on how Breeds, Auspices, Gifts or Tribes work, though I imagine, as in times past, the Tribe will be the equivalent of Clan in terms of mechanical and story significance.
            Last edited by Robert D; 02-01-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert D View Post

Now, the v5 core also gave a werewolf NPC antagonist near the back of the book, which had the same regeneration rules, but no Rage value assigned in that NPC's block, though the NPC had high levels of Disciplines (for ease of using the NPC prior to W5's creation, bless the writer's hearts) to emulate gifts (I recall the V20, W20 and M20 books doing much the same thing), though since Hunger is risked for higher ranked disciplines, I imagine that as of the corebook's writing the Rage mechanic, like Hunger may be risked to perform certain supernatural feats, and if it rises too fill the Lupine to bursting with Rage, that's when things get Crinos rampage messy. The NPC stats also had some shapeshifting mechanics for Crinos form it seems. No sign in either the pre-alpha or the final V5 of Werewolf Gnosis or specific info or hints on how Breeds, Auspices, Gifts or Tribes work, though I imagine, as in times past, the Tribe will be the equivalent of Clan in terms of mechanical and story significance.
              i think they may have been still considering allowing multiple actions a round during that playtest and by v5 final they decided "nope" though.. if W5 keeps it and v5 doesnt man werewolves will be even more death to Kindred than before..

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

i think they may have been still considering allowing multiple actions a round during that playtest and by v5 final they decided "nope" though.. if W5 keeps it and v5 doesnt man werewolves will be even more death to Kindred than before..
                Agreed. the multiple actions use of Rage appears to be out, which will level the playing field a bit. The Regeneration rules still make them incredibly lethal to everyone though

Comment

Agreed. the multiple actions use of Rage appears to be out, which will level the playing field a bit. The Regeneration rules still make them incredibly lethal to everyone though

Well celerity ALSO no longer has multiple actions. Multiple actions were one of the more universally reviled parts of classic WOD combat. On the otherhand if the V5 pg reintroduces them for "classic" feel I imagine Rage will make the same offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Well celerity ALSO no longer has multiple actions. Multiple actions were one of the more universally reviled parts of classic WOD combat. On the otherhand if the V5 pg reintroduces them for "classic" feel I imagine Rage will make the same offer.
                    I agree. I imagine multiple actions will remain out of the main rules. Reintroduction, if it happens at all, would perhaps be in players' guides like the one Modiphius is working on for V5 presently, and even then would likely offer them as option should Storytellers and Players both wish it.

Comment

I agree. I imagine multiple actions will remain out of the main rules. Reintroduction, if it happens at all, would perhaps be in players' guides like the one Modiphius is working on for V5 presently, and even then would likely offer them as option should Storytellers and Players both wish it.

Its hard to read long term from v5 to other wod games as there seems to be some serious derailment.

Comment

Yeah, don't take anything stated about werewolves in the alpha playtests as indicative of how W5 will / may look.

Matthew Dawkins
                        In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: http://https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                          Yeah, don't take anything stated about werewolves in the alpha playtests as indicative of how W5 will / may look.
                          Good point, alpha playtests being far cries from final drafts. I'll focus on the V5 core's antagonist entry of Lupine

Comment

Good point, alpha playtests being far cries from final drafts. I'll focus on the V5 core's antagonist entry of Lupine
                            I wouldn't take that as an indication either. I wrote that entry without any sight of plans for W5.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Currently, the news about W5's content is pretty much nothing. Don't be disheartened by that, but I certainly don't think anyone should be reading into werewolf-as-antagonist entries or Vampire alpha tests for clues. There aren't any clues out there yet.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X