Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story idea: The attempt to bring back a Lost Breed

Hey guys and gals,

so I'm working on a chronical in the more or less far future and would like to discuss some... hypothetical possibilities.
    We have a fera group in W20.

I think about a chronical about the try - and most likely failure - to create a new or restore a lost changing breed. My intention is not to shake up the whole WOD canon nor to create a uber breed players can play in the future.
    Just the... quest of an incarna to bring an advantage into the war. In a slightly longer run than the generic lets-raid-a-pentex-base garou manner.

The most obvious question would be: what lost breed? Or better: what kind of breed does the world need now the most? Apis to enhance the chances for successful breeding? Grondr to deal with the envoirmental damage on earth? Or something entirely other like were-eagles as some kind of diplomats to reunite the existing breeds?

BUT the most important question would be: which incarna would contemplate such plan? I would like to have some powerful spirit like falcon or bear. Someone whose authority is unquestionable. I really don't need players who question the honesty of the sprit to help gaia. So can you help me with a good candidate? In whos nature would be such dangerous yet promising plan?

Thanks for now
    lastlostboy

From established lore, Bear is one of the most powerful healing spirits, so he is your best bet. His children are the only ones who currently have a way of raising the dead. Mind you that way wouldn't work for this scenario but it shows how strong in the healing arts they are.

Deviating from that, you could always go with a new spirit though, something no one has ever seen. The character may never see the spirit directly for a long time. They could only communicate through lesser spirits of the new incarna's brood. They wouldn't know if their benefactor is truely benevolent or maleficent until it was too late.

Comment

Help the children of the Bat redeem Bat. Bat teaches one of them the Rite to make a new Camadoz. This is a SIMPLE plot but.. not an easy one?

Comment

Hmm. Were-whales, the Song of Gaia?

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Derzhuzad View Post
          Deviating from that, you could always go with a new spirit though, something no one has ever seen. The character may never see the spirit directly for a long time. They could only communicate through lesser spirits of the new incarna's brood. They wouldn't know if their benefactor is truely benevolent or maleficent until it was too late.
          Oh, that would be the plan somehow or other. I would never let the incarna itself take stage, except maybe in the finale or epilog. It would communicate only through avatars. I'm not a fan of roleplaying such powerful enitities directly.

Originally posted by Lian View Post
          Help the children of the Bat redeem Bat. Bat teaches one of them the Rite to make a new Camadoz. This is a SIMPLE plot but.. not an easy one?
          That's something I acutually thought about too. But I don't exactly know what happened. Can you help me?
          So Bat foresaw the death of their children and went crazy? When the Spanish came and with them the garou they only saw weird blood sacrificing changers and thought of the wyrm and killed them all?
          What were their job? What would be their job in the present? Didn't corax assimilate their job somehow?

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
          Hmm. Were-whales, the Song of Gaia?
          Even tho they're not changers, with Rorqual there are close enough gaian worshippers to not bring another mammal changer in the soup.
          But I had merfolk already in my past stories so a marine born changer might be an interesting idea. Maybe something Quyrl related so there would be some disagreement about whether or not it's a good idea to do it.

Comment

Have you already read "Shattered Dreams"? It's a campaign about a temporal mess where past and present blend together and the role for the PC is to put things back the way they were. This also means that you'll have the chance to meet and interact with not-yet-extinct groups of Fera.

I spent some thoughts about running it with players as a Fera party and make them realize, in the end, that the only way to save Gaia is by accepting the extinction of their whole breed (and their subsequent return to nonexistence), but you could easily use the same plot hooks and have your characters change history in a way that brings back a lost breed without breaking the world.
            (Shattered Dreams is also a nice source for Garou history).

If you'd rather keep it more conventional then I'd say, in addition to the others, you could consider the Grondr. Perhaps the Skull Pigs can be cleansed from the Wyrm-taint and brought back to Gaia (it might require more than one generation, though), and once the Grondr kin are pure again they might have some chance to give birth to a new Grondr; maybe the last part of the campaign could revolve around fertility issues, selective breeding and spirit-enhancing techniques to help them breed true.

Comment

Originally posted by lastlostboy View Post

That's something I acutually thought about too. But I don't exactly know what happened. Can you help me?
              So Bat foresaw the death of their children and went crazy? When the Spanish came and with them the garou they only saw weird blood sacrificing changers and thought of the wyrm and killed them all?
              What were their job? What would be their job in the present? Didn't corax assimilate their job somehow?
              "It turns into a bat and drinks blood" "IT MUST BE A VAMPIRE KILL IT" "Don't we have scent of the true form" "SHUT UP THAT'S WYRM TALK"

"oh shit we killed another Fera breed..how could we Shadowlords have known.."

Honestly doubling the information that's spread between the various fera so they are better informed can only be a good thing. They also might have been instramental in a "Purelands" mutibreed setup. You get them back. They help Balam rediscover some of their secrets same with the Uktena etc...

Also its relatively "Simple" and can justify not needing to have a previous one or having to wait 2-10 years if new one is pregant. since like Corax they use a rite.

Comment

Even tho they're not changers, with Rorqual there are close enough gaian worshippers to not bring another mammal changer in the soup.
                But I had merfolk already in my past stories so a marine born changer might be an interesting idea. Maybe something Quyrl related so there would be some disagreement about whether or not it's a good idea to do it.
                To be honest, I just want to relive the glory days of RIFTS Undersea, where one could play a humpback whale who had the fly fishing skill.

More seriously, were-bison as a North American counterpart to the Apis might be interesting.

Also, there's the were-orangutans mentioned in 1st ed.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

"It turns into a bat and drinks blood" "IT MUST BE A VAMPIRE KILL IT" "Don't we have scent of the true form" "SHUT UP THAT'S WYRM TALK"
                  You made me laugh hard.

Comment

I've read the Mokolé breed book a few weeks ago and that's exactly what happend in the book's comprehensive story...

"THEY HAVE LIZARD FORMS, THEY MUST BE WYRM!"
                    "They don't smell like wyrm."
                    "LOOK AT THEM!"
                    "Oh sHIT, THEY LOOK LIKE WYRM!"

God, I hate garou so much...

Originally posted by Maris Streck View Post
                    Have you already read "Shattered Dreams"? It's a campaign about a temporal mess where past and present blend together and the role for the PC is to put things back the way they were. This also means that you'll have the chance to meet and interact with not-yet-extinct groups of Fera.

I spent some thoughts about running it with players as a Fera party and make them realize, in the end, that the only way to save Gaia is by accepting the extinction of their whole breed (and their subsequent return to nonexistence), but you could easily use the same plot hooks and have your characters change history in a way that brings back a lost breed without breaking the world.
                    (Shattered Dreams is also a nice source for Garou history).

If you'd rather keep it more conventional then I'd say, in addition to the others, you could consider the Grondr. Perhaps the Skull Pigs can be cleansed from the Wyrm-taint and brought back to Gaia (it might require more than one generation, though), and once the Grondr kin are pure again they might have some chance to give birth to a new Grondr; maybe the last part of the campaign could revolve around fertility issues, selective breeding and spirit-enhancing techniques to help them breed true.
                    Yeah, no. Sorry. Time travel or time warp is a red flag for me.
                    The skull-pig idea is pretty good because it's comes with more or less a big goal already: redeem the skull-pigs.
                    But Lians argument with the long term stuff is good too. "Hurr-durr magic!" might be a better straight forward solution to not have to wait for generations.

Comment

But Lians argument with the long term stuff is good too. "Hurr-durr magic!" might be a better straight forward solution to not have to wait for generations.
                      Eh, the Grondr recovery is something more for a generational campaign... you open the way to cleanse the skull pigs, your sons manage to purify them, your nephew help them get in shape and your grand-grandchildren 150 years from now sees the first Grondr come back to Earth with his ancestors sharing the moment through his very eyes.

Or I guess you could meddle a bit with the required time. Introducing a mage, if you like crossovers, or petitioning a time spirit (like Chronos), or bringing them to some realm where time flows faster (like the Legendaries)... but let's be honest, for a story set in a short time span the Camatzotz are probably a better target.

But you could always say that you found the last Apis in the Deep Umbra, trapped in Malfeas or lost in the Abyss.

Comment

Beast breed generations aren't super long.. that's why we can domesticate animals iRL. It might require a jump of 20 years to see much progress but its not intrinsically generational. OR you could be a kitsune bene Geseret

But speaking of Bene Gesseret lets get back to the apis. So having done a shallow dive into the world that is the bovine genome.. the whole "They can't exist because no Aurochs" in a world where there are various wild dog Garou.. seems kind of off. There's a lot of easy interbreeding between the various members of the Bos genius and a number of them maintain undomesticated variants. Similarly the related Bison genus is interfertile with Bos.. and the European bison genome has 10 percent admixture from Aurochs..

Right with that in mind.. what were the Apis? Well part of it was they were the bene Geneseret of Gaia. the Master manipulators of bloodlines and breeding, and the Bos setup is so intermixed perhaps they never left rather than going into hiding... or perhaps they planned some elaborate scheme... to be reborn when the time is right...

Comment

Beast breed generations aren't super long.. that's why we can domesticate animals iRL. It might require a jump of 20 years to see much progress but its not intrinsically generational.
                          Maybe not.. but the skull pigs were corrupted for so long that now they have a skull for head and bear little resemblance to actual boars. I doubt that you could just cast a rite of cleansing and be done, it's going to take time to cleanse them (i mean, you can't even use the Erebus) and even after that they're going to need the time to revert back to their original shape. And since the chance of spawning wereboars between kinfolks is exceedengly low you'll need a lot of them and quite a bit of time.
                          This is why I was talking about generational campaign. Of course this is just my take, but I wouldn't have them just healed overnight with a wave of Gaia's hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Maris Streck View Post

Maybe not.. but the skull pigs were corrupted for so long that now they have a skull for head and bear little resemblance to actual boars. I doubt that you could just cast a rite of cleansing and be done, it's going to take time to cleanse them (i mean, you can't even use the Erebus) and even after that they're going to need the time to revert back to their original shape. And since the chance of spawning wereboars between kinfolks is exceedengly low you'll need a lot of them and quite a bit of time.
                            This is why I was talking about generational campaign. Of course this is just my take, but I wouldn't have them just healed overnight with a wave of Gaia's hand.

I think there's a middle ground between multiple human generations and done over night. 20 years might show some results

Comment

The most obvious question would be: what lost breed? Or better: what kind of breed does the world need now the most? Apis to enhance the chances for successful breeding? Grondr to deal with the envoirmental damage on earth? Or something entirely other like were-eagles as some kind of diplomats to reunite the existing breeds?
                              What about one where the process has already started? Having the Apis or Grondr back would have been good for the last few thousand years, but it's too late for them to help now. The Last Battle is coming, and without shock troopers to lead the charge, the Changing Breeds have already lost. Gaia needs the *real* Kerasi.

Comment

Working...
                              X