Odd (probably stupid musings) on Garou physiology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd (probably stupid musings) on Garou physiology

So, I'm a bit of a fitness nut and enjoy learning about muscle building ect. My question/musing is this: can the average Garou put on more muscle and strength than the average person?

The reason this popped into my head is that while anabolic steroids increase hormone production for building muscle one of the biggest benefits is it allows the body to recover quicker. Werewolves have regeneration which by definition would allow them to recover quicker and go back to the gym with a high intensity.

So with all things being equal would a Garou body builder have more muscle than a natural mortal body builder?

I mean, every garou gets a +4 to the Strength stat in crinos, so they'd be at 5 even if their str was 1 in homid. In theory, if you character is a metis, they very well could reach str 10 in their birth form.

Then there are various gifts and fetishes, but those would count as steroids.

I guess an ahroun could end up being in peak condition for a human more easily, just from the amount of -work- being an ahroun takes.

My gallery.

Comment

I don't think Garou would have more muscle all things being equal, but they could hit their max for the training their doing faster. As noted, they can shift forms and regenerate, allowing them to effectively condition themselves more frequently, but there are genetic/practical limits on how much muscle mass you can build.

So, basically, if you say, had twins one Garou and one kin, at first, the Garou will blow past their sibling, but over time the Garou will plateau and the kin will catch up and they'll be about the same from then on.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

So, basically, if you say, had twins one Garou and one kin, at first, the Garou will blow past their sibling, but over time the Garou will plateau and the kin will catch up and they'll be about the same from then on.
        Also assuming the garou twin doesn't end up battle scarred before their kin twin can reach them. Depending on the auspice, it might be very likely indeed.

My gallery.

Comment

I don't think Garou would have more muscle all things being equal, but they could hit their max for the training their doing faster. As noted, they can shift forms and regenerate, allowing them to effectively condition themselves more frequently, but there are genetic/practical limits on how much muscle mass you can build.

Fair enough. I think the Garou one would be a bit bigger, just because of the volume they could do with shifting and regenerating. Maybe like a pound or two more of overall muscle. Definitely not a Phil Heath or Ronny Coleman thing.

Comment

But the Kin has to dedicate more to it. The Kin would have to just work at body building I'd imagine the Garou could spend much less time doing so and having to do much less to maintain.

Comment

Sure, but that's getting away from the "all things being equal" hypothetical and getting into more practical matters. I mean, your average kin actually has time to dedicate to being a body builder, while most Garou get their strength training on the job as it were. Garou are also not going to favor muscle mass like body builders do because it's not actually that great for fighting.

Comment

Sure, but that's getting away from the "all things being equal" hypothetical and getting into more practical matters. I mean, your average kin actually has time to dedicate to being a body builder, while most Garou get their strength training on the job as it were. Garou are also not going to favor muscle mass like body builders do because it's not actually that great for fighting.
                In addition of greater chances of disability, starvation, PTSD and capture by hostile forces. Building muscle mass in those condition would be pretty hard in the long run.

This is also assuming the garou is homid, lupus garou might look extremely wiry or have a build more like a farmer than a body builder. Metis might suffer malnurition or denial of proper vitamins while growing up.

My gallery.

Comment

In a game way - Garou get way more XP that they can decide to spend on Str, with the excuse of being in combat all the time' using their strength.

In a physiology sense, it is just as possible that the "regenerating" factor, instead of healing factor, takes those muscles back to the state they were in before the (damage of) exercise/working out as they could help to grow muscle mass.

Comment

Don't forget that Garou can also have a totem that boosts their strength beyond normal human limits (beyond 5 dots) at all times. For example Mammoth gives everyone in the pack +2 Strength. I'm not clear if that would have any actual physiological effect though, or if they just have extra strength that magically appears when used without any physical evidence.
                    Last edited by gx240; 03-26-2019, 08:59 AM.

Comment

One thing to consider - garou don't generally regenerate in their breed form (metis excepted). They theoretically could shift into glabro after the workout to speed recovery, but if they never shift, a homid garou would not actually regenerate any more quickly.
                      And, that could create a wrinkle for said body builder. Glabro and crinos are both more muscular than homid (that is, higher strength; I think hispo is too but not sure). The damage done to the muscle that then has to recover so it grows may be minuscule to those forms; thus, the added strength gains would be far slower for the homid forms if they just shift up, since they heal it in a trivial amount of time and in a separate form. There probably would still be some gains, but not as fast as normal. The alternatives would be to work out much harder than a human should and shift later. So the recovery is proportional to the glabro form, or to work out in glabro ans stay there (since then shifting down would inflict more debilitating pain if you did a proportionate workout to your homid form in glabro).
                      Admittedly, not an exercise scientist, but it is something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by gx240 View Post
                        Don't forget that Garou can also have a totem that boosts their strength beyond normal human limits (beyond 5 dots) at all times. For example Mammoth gives everyone in the pack +2 Strength. I'm not clear if that would have any actual physiological effect though, or if they just have extra strength that magically appears when used without any physical evidence.
                        That goes against the 'all else being equal' side of things.

Though traditionally, the game doesn't visually depict characters with Totem based bonuses as being obviously supernaturally potent. The best example is Zhyzhak, who has a personal Totem that raises her Homid Strength to 6... but she's almost always drawn as you'd imagine a high strength woman of her build would look, doing feats of strength that she doesn't look like she should be capable of.

That's not really conclusive evidence, because the books don't really say explicitly, but it's about the best you'll get.

Comment

Working...
                        X