Circumventing Metis deformities W20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post

I never said it has more than one, I was looking for ways to mitigate the worst ones. Basically, I am considering a mixed game, in which some idiots are trying to create an army of Metis, eliminating drawbacks, with the aim of creating an artificial Perfect Metis.

Also, a bit of metagaming with Metis deformities, to optimize for combat. The best ones (FOR COMBAT) would be Hirsute, and Tough Hide. The latter more so than the former.
    Creating an army of metis is more costly than an army of lupus. For one, you need like 50 female garou, hope they don't DIE during childbirth or become infertile. Then you have to hope the deformities of the metis don't make them useless. Then you better hope any of the female garou don't try to tear the baby off/kill themselves during the 9 month long pregnancy. Then you have 10 years to raise the ragy baby before they can be used in an army.

There is a reason BSDs don't solely rely on their metis numbers.

A faster and a more reliable way to get garou shock troops would be to get some lupus garou, some wolf kinfolk and just breed them until garou cubs pop out. They take 2 years to mature, the pregnancy lasts 2 months and they can still breed.

My gallery.

Comment

But it wont be hiding if you can actually heal them. The Silver Tolerance merit is an ability all Garou COULD possess, why that merit would cost the Metis renown?

Not being able to soak Silver isn't a Metis deformity.

Comment

It's only useful for one specific deformity, but having Piggi-Billa the Echidna as your totem lets you cure Weak Claws in exchange for a permanent gnosis point. Plus he doesn't have a ban for metis characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Moirdryd View Post

Not being able to soak Silver isn't a Metis deformity.

I never said it was a deformity:

Another mitigation strategy not for deformities but for a general weakness, the Silver Tolerance merit states: "You may soak silver damage in any form at difficulty 8"

Maybe mitigating is not the way, but accumulating redundant deformities:
          1. Select the Metis deformity: Tough Hide.
          2. Pick the Flaw: Double Jeopardy, and as your second deformity, pick Hirsute (for the extra soak in some forms) or Monstruous (to put in zero a trait you could not raise from 1).

Would this be viable?
          Last edited by lbeaumanior; 04-03-2019, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Would this be viable?
            Honestly, I doubt that any GM worth his salt will ever approve this kind of thing. The point of having flaws is to RP them and the extra points you get are for balancing, but Monstrous is not a flaw if you have Tough Hide and vice versa.

Metis deformities are also an (allegied) mark from Gaia and you're not supposed to conceal them, let alone remove. Probably some master mage is able to alter your life/spirit pattern (or mind/spirit in case of derangements - i'm including spirit because of the unique half-spirit nature of the Garou) and mend every deformity but that's a serious defiance of Gaia IMHO. If I were the storyteller I could even remove enough permanent honor to drop you a rank and forbid you to ever gain more until you're restored. That Metis might even be cast out and become a Ronin.

But that might be worth anyway for a character that lived her past twenty years struggling with a split personality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRoseBlack View Post

Honestly, I doubt that any GM worth his salt will ever approve this kind of thing. The point of having flaws is to RP them and the extra points you get are for balancing, but Monstrous is not a flaw if you have Tough Hide and vice versa.

Metis deformities are also an (allegied) mark from Gaia and you're not supposed to conceal them, let alone remove. Probably some master mage is able to alter your life/spirit pattern (or mind/spirit in case of derangements - i'm including spirit because of the unique half-spirit nature of the Garou) and mend every deformity but that's a serious defiance of Gaia IMHO. If I were the storyteller I could even remove enough permanent honor to drop you a rank and forbid you to ever gain more until you're restored. That Metis might even be cast out and become a Ronin.

But that might be worth anyway for a character that lived her past twenty years struggling with a split personality.

Yeah, after posting this question, I participated on a V20 discussion about Vampires vs Werewolves. I ending up posting a character to show what happens if you optimize for combat, ended up using some of the ideas here, I used a W20 starting build:

Breed: Metis
              Auspice: Ahroun
              Tribe: Children of Gaia
              Nature: Bravo
              Demeanor: Big Bad Wolf
              Physical: Strength 4 (6/8/7/5), Dexterity 5 (5/6/7/7), Stamina 1 (3/4/4/3)
              Social: Charisma 4, Manipulation 1 (0/0/0/0), Appearance 1 (0/0/1/1)
              Mental: Perception 2, Intelligence 1, Wits 5
              Talents: Alertness 3, Athletics 3, Brawl (Claws) 5, Intimidation 1, Primal-Urge 3
              Skills: Melee 3, Stealth 3, Survival 3
              Knowledges: Occult 2, Rituals 3
              Backgrounds: Ancestors 5
              Rage: 10
              Gnosis: 3
              Willpower: 10
              Glory: 2
              Honor: 1
              Wisdom: 0
              Metis deformity: Tough Hide, Eyes of Darkness
              Gifts: (1) Primal Anger, Razor Claws, Resist Pain
              Rites: None
              Merits: Silver Tolerance
              Flaws: Double Jeopardy, Nightmares, Pack Mentality, Impatient

All freebies spent on Brawl, Rage, Silver Tolerance, and Willpower; this fellow can:
              • Win Initiative often. Max Dexterity + Max Wits
              • Attack several times per turn Max Rage + Primal Anger
              • Hit enemies consistently. Max Dexterity + Max Brawl + Specialty
              • Do large amounts of damage High Strength + Claws + Razor Claws + Attack roll bonus
              • Get a lot automatic successes. Max Willpower
              • Ignore most forms of mind control. Max Willpower
              • Recover Willpower after each fight. Bravo
              • Get dice for an Ability it lacks once per game session. Ancestors
              • Regenerate in every form. Metis
              • Soak silver damage in any form. Silver Tolerance
              • Soak a regular amount of damage. Min Stamina + Tough Hide
              • Ignore all wound penalties for a scene. Resist Pain
              • See perfectly in Darkness. Eyes of Darkness
              • Work better when accompanied by his pack. Pack Mentality
              • Acquire easily some of the best combat gifts at each level: (1) Jam Weapon, Rhythm of War (Changing Ways); (2) Spirit of the Fray, Luna's Armor, Burrow, Calm; (3) The Cleaving Hoof (Tribebook), Silver Claws, Dazzle. Metis + Ahroun + Children of Gaia
              • Buy future traits as cheap as possible

And now I just wonder if is there any way to mitigate whatever weaknesses the character might have, FROM CHARACTER CREATION. I am aware that CWOD is not D&D.
              Last edited by lbeaumanior; 04-09-2019, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X