Do Klaives need to be activated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Klaives need to be activated?

Rereading the W20 Klaive description I'm not sure if they actually need to be activated when combating other Garou, but I can see two possibilities:

1. The Klaive needs to be activated to get the +2 damage (although it would still do "Strength" aggravated damage since it is silver).
    2. The Klaive only needs to be activated to inflict aggravated damage on non-shapeshifters.

What do you think?

1) The +2 damage is just the weapon rating of the sword, so that doesn't need to get activated.
    2) If there was meant to be an activation, this would probably be it.

I think, largely informed by past WtA books, that you don't actually need to activate a "base-line" Klaive, but each one is supposed to be meticulously made and unique, and should have some activation bonus that's lesser than a Grand Klaive's activation ability. Consider that a Grand Klaive gets all the bonuses a normal one does and then you can activate it for something more, rather than needing to activate it to do it's base weapon damage or agg to anything.

Comment

Klaives just need to be attuned.

Comment

To get basic Klaive abilities? No, they don't However without any Klaivaskar rules currently for 20th (although there are previous editions) they do feel a little lack-luster compared to other Fetishes and even some gifts. As a house rule 9while I am working up some Klaivaskar stuff anyway) I allow for Activation of a Klaive or Grandklaive to double it's base damage bonus. Of course Grandklaives get their other power too.

Comment

Originally posted by Story Letter View Post
          Klaives just need to be attuned.
          Is there a page reference for that.

I would think the agg damage to non-silver-weakness-victims is tied to being activated...

Comment

Originally posted by heinrich View Post
            Is there a page reference for that.

I would think the agg damage to non-silver-weakness-victims is tied to being activated...
            Page 221 as a general rule.
            Also in page 225 is mentioned that A war-spirit is usually bound into the klaive, allowing it to inflict aggravated damage even to non-Garou foes.
            According to that an activation roll allows the klaive to do aggravated to all foes, since all fetishes need to have their spirits roused with gnosis.
            Last edited by Story Letter; 05-16-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Thank you all very much!

Comment

While Activating is a General Rule the only part in the Klaives description that requires Activation is the secondary power of the Grand Klaive. Most of the fetish weapons in fact state if they have an activation requirement or not (for example, the Fang Dagger and the D'siah) but the base damage code and type is the default of the weapon. Klaivaskar for example in both it's previous forms could never actually be used with a Klaive if anything was otherwise and a D'siah apparently cuts for agg damage and the activation happens after that and that's before we get into things like cyberfetishes. Alternatively you can think of the attuning roll as the activation roll for things like Klaives with an power duration of "Until new owner attunes".

Comment

That's for Grand Klaive Moirdryd , not the Klaive. Which has a ''when the klaive is activated'' reference. Which mostly means that with the Gnosis roll the Grand Klaive does aggravated and activates a second power with one activation roll.

Comment

What I am saying is that most of the weapons have their Stat-line always on and it is anything else they do that requires an activation. Case in point being the Fang dagger that does lethal damage unless it is activated in which case it doubles damage and that damage becomes agg, or the D'siah which has an activation for a specific effect that is done after damage and is the only power the weapon has, but it's stat line is an agg weapon. If you make the damage line of a Klaive require an activation roll then there is never any point in taking a Klaive, you'll be more dangerous without it.

Comment

That's correct, the type of a weapon will always do its base damage without activation which is +2 for a Klaive and +5 for a Grand Klaive ?

Comment

+2A for a Klaive and +5A for a Grand Klaive, +2A for a D'siah, +1L for a Fang Dagger or +1A doubled if it's activated,

Comment

Working...
                        X