Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deed names and Jobs for Garou

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Deed names and Jobs for Garou

    A two part question first deed names. I have played games in the past where garou collected deed names and one garou could have several "given" to him, and games were they had but one at any given time. Wondering how other Storytellers deal with this.

    And the second is job...How do St's deal with players that want their Garou to have actual jobs...since they never know when they will be called to fight the wyrm, I always felt holding a job would be nearly impossible. After all once you are on a mission for Gaia, you could be away from work for an unknown amount of time. To counter this and "assist" players that want to have some sort of "job" I have figured ways they could work for local Kin and get a paycheck. But Again I was wondering how other Storytellers dealt with players wanting their Garou to have a actual career.

  • #2
    I would think that deed names are local (so sept-wise) traditions, but for convenience's sake, a garou would go by one (although all are acknowledged). Also, the sept might give a deed name, like an nickname that the garou can't really choose themselves. Traditions on naming were in the PGttG.

    There is the Curse. 2nd Edition (and iirc MET) had a hard rule for maintaining relationships outside of garou/kin communities, be it work relationships, personal relationships or what ever. Revised then made the Curse a thing that is totally up for interpretation - especially in long term and downtime contexts. It is my believe that no garou can hold a job that requires interactions with humans. Freelance novellist, sure - Internet/youtube influencer - sure. Hot dog vendor, not so much. Even a journalist, who has to investigate and fact check, is out of reaxh, so no publizer prize worthy uncovering of Pentex activities. However, craftsmen or artists, with a kin agent/manager, might be an option - and the "unrelanting parents" flaw can easily converted into "unrelenting fans who want to get to know their eccentric oil painting idol" flaw.

    Comment


    • #3
      I like that twist on the Unrelenting parent flaw. I have in the past gone with job types that didn't involve a lot of people interaction or when there would be (Interaction with people) the curse worked to the Garou players advantage (i.e over night security work/ bouncer ). I will have to grab my old 2nd Ed books and re-read that bit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Deed Names: Generally, the books don't specify, but tend to only have one listed even for very accomplished NPCs, leading to the impression that you only have one at a time. However the cultural traditions this is based on usually aren't like that and earning multiple would be a sign of great respect. No right or wrong here. I tend towards one at a time for my own sanity (if I've got a Sept of 15 NPCs to run, the 30-40-ish names I have to remember already is a lot), but PCs might get two or three if the game goes long enough; even so, they tend to only use the most flattering/prominent/etc. outside of extreme formal situations.

        Jobs: If the player can justify the job, let them have it. Maybe they work for kin who don't care about the absences (happens IRL as it is). For Glass Walkers especially there are a ton of ways to work that require minimal face-to-face with humans and can be put on pause without too much trouble. A character can easily be a day trader when they have down time, and move their money into a temporary longer term vehicle if they're looking at an Umbral quest. Something that I've seen a lot of is in-the-field researchers. A botanist that theoretically works for a university but spends the vast majority of their time doing something like traveling to different locations to look for new plant species might be out of contact for months at a time as par for course.

        There's also something that depends on local setting. If, for example, your character's home Sept is relatively rural and the small town nearby is basically all kinfolk? Well there's a lot more room for Garou to have "normal" jobs. If your playing in an urban Sept of a major city? Not so much.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          A character can easily be a day trader when they have down time....
          Hardly a job that is ethically sound. I mean day trading is generating profits trhough some form of exploitation. It is not wealth you earn through work (as in manual labour or intelectual or artistic work), but through the system itself and putting brain power or guesswork to use to basically buy something cheap, sell it more expensivly and don't give shit to the people who created the something in the first place.

          So, should a garou who might believes that such behaviour could taint your soul engage in such activities?
          Is the intend to "screw over the corporate monsters" with day trading not delusional ?

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't think I want to derail the conversation into a debate on the ethics of production based income vs. investment based income. The concept of buy low and sell high is not exclusive to either.

            Day trading isn't some special sort of evil, and actually takes work to make any money off of.

            I prefaced that specifically with something the Glass Walkers are most likely to take advantage of, so I doubt any of the Corporate Wolves are worrying about playing the stock market tainting their souls. Any Garou that truly feels that way is probably not going to be seeking to participate in the general economy on any level beyond the absolute minimums.

            Nobody said anything about screwing over corporate monsters. It's a job to make money to have to spend.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm going to point out there's a reason one of the major camps of the Glasswalkers was Organized Crime. The curse makes people uneasy around you. THERE are definately jobs where that's a bonus rather than a hinderance.

              Comment


              • #8
                I actually prefer the term Garou Names rather than Deed Names, because I don't feel all Garou names actually reflect deeds. Sometimes they may simply be descriptives based on their personality or appearance, or seem more aspirational than something they achieved. Some may just sobriquets or nicknames. And others could be epithets like how in the Iliad Hector is known as Breaker of Horses, Achilles is Swift-Footed, and Meneleus is Fair-Haired (of course, each of these characters have additional epithets as well).

                I also figure that what we read in English is merely a translation from the Garou Tongue, and that Garou Names are bestowed upon them after completing of their Rite of Passage. Naming ceremonies often occur during such rites.

                And of course,a Garou might receive many such names during their life. Many cultures have a system where an individual gains many names over the course of their life, and that new names can be given for various reasons. I believe many American Indian peoples had a tradition where someone had one name as a child, took another as an adult, could gain another by a vision quest, and could get additional ones based on actual deeds (especially during war). Sitting Bull was known as Jumping Badger as a boy and gained the nickname Slow as a child because of his careful and deliberative demeanor before his bravery in battle caused his father to give him HIS name as a recognition of his bravery.

                None of this is in the books. But it is how I interpret things and explain it to my players.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As for Garou holding jobs, it all depends on the character concept. Typically low Rage Garou will have a better chance at holding jobs than higher Rage because of the Curse. And Garou who are Lost Cubs who changed as adults, and therefore already had credentials, jobs, and work skills, are more likely to have jobs than typical Garou who change during puberty and were therefore subsequently kidnapped and indoctrinated before they had a chance to even graduate high school. But there are all kinds of exceptions and reasons why anyone may be employed or not.

                  As for balancing the workload between a job and their sept, this is an individual choice. I think there would be negative consequences as Garou neglect their responsibilities to the sept or Nation as a whole, but that comes out when renown is handed out and their public reputation. There is no reason why a Garou could not do so. They just have to accept the negative consequences of their decision.

                  Now it may be possible for a Garou to successfully balance both a career and their duties to the tribe/sept/nation, but I think in general it would be very hard and as ST I would make it clear what the situation is. Players very often say they will do A, B, C, D, and E, and then add F, G, and H as well. So I often tell my PCs that they have to map out precisely how much time they are devoting to those activities in a normal week. A job is 40 hours plus however many hours for commuting. Then there may be additional hours for overtime, work parties, or earning further credentials. Then I'll have them say what are the additional things they are doing and about what day/time they are doing it. They'll quickly figure out they don't actually have all that time to do all the things they say. And that's when I start asking them what is going to suffer. Are you not going to perform that Chiminage to the spirit? Will you ditch work to attend that sudden tribal meeting? Is their sleep going to suffer?

                  Figure out with them exactly what they are doing, and when there is a conflict, let them make the decision of what they will neglect. It can be a good occasion for RP.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lian View Post
                    I'm going to point out there's a reason one of the major camps of the Glasswalkers was Organized Crime. The curse makes people uneasy around you. THERE are definately jobs where that's a bonus rather than a hinderance.
                    Well, it is open to how the ST interprets the rules. Because it doesn't make people uneasy alone, it can reach to outride hysterical panic. One can't walk down the street privatly, if from everyone to one in ten people starts yelling and running, or wets their pants, just as you walk by.
                    If you want to settle a dispute, but the elderly yakuzza boss is getting a heart attack the moment he sees you, the turf war is kind of unavoidable.

                    From some realtion to Willpower to outride ST interpretation, the different Editions had the Curse described differently. Thing is, how much of a kinderance to every days life do you think it is - or your ST for that matter.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                      As for balancing the workload between a job and their sept, this is an individual choice. I think there would be negative consequences as Garou neglect their responsibilities to the sept or Nation as a whole, but that comes out when renown is handed out and their public reputation. There is no reason why a Garou could not do so. They just have to accept the negative consequences of their decision.

                      Now it may be possible for a Garou to successfully balance both a career and their duties to the tribe/sept/nation, but I think in general it would be very hard and as ST I would make it clear what the situation is. Players very often say they will do A, B, C, D, and E, and then add F, G, and H as well. So I often tell my PCs that they have to map out precisely how much time they are devoting to those activities in a normal week. A job is 40 hours plus however many hours for commuting. Then there may be additional hours for overtime, work parties, or earning further credentials. Then I'll have them say what are the additional things they are doing and about what day/time they are doing it. They'll quickly figure out they don't actually have all that time to do all the things they say. And that's when I start asking them what is going to suffer. Are you not going to perform that Chiminage to the spirit? Will you ditch work to attend that sudden tribal meeting? Is their sleep going to suffer?

                      Figure out with them exactly what they are doing, and when there is a conflict, let them make the decision of what they will neglect. It can be a good occasion for RP.
                      I like that.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X